Zombie SE?...?? Shriek Show....Anchor Bay?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by thrashard76, Aug 29, 2002.

1. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

At some point I thought AB was going to release a SE of Fulci's Zombie with a load of extras but some time later it was found out to be that AB just re-released the same version of the movie. Shriek Show also said that they were planning on releasing this title as a SE but no news is available for this. Supposedly there were legal problems securing parts of this movie for a release. Does anyone have any info on a possible SE version of Zombie? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Yeah, I am really looking forward to an SE of this. I have the AB VHS, and won't upgrade to the dvd, because I'd rather await a better version.

3. dlundh

dlundh Guest

I haven't seen any evidence of an SE being dropped from Shriek Shows schedule? What makes you think they have now suddenly decided not to release it?

4. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

i think an answer would be more likely if u posted this in the eurohorror section

5. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Damn, I posted this in the wrong forum. :mad:
    If Dave or any other mods want to move it then that'd be cool. :D

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Last I heard (from the Anchor Bay chat forum a little while ago, I think), is there's a rights nightmare going on with the title right now. AB and SS are both claiming ownership, and it may be in/heading to court.

7. crank

crank Guest

Man, its Cat in the Brain all over again.

crank

8. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the board!:)

I was going to wait untill Shriek Show released ZOMBIE on DVD, but it seems like the rights may be up in the air for some time. I'm thinking of picking up the Anchor Bay DVD, the extras sound great, and it's under $10 at Best Buy. Does anyone here have the Anchor Bay DVD of ZOMBIE, how is the transfer?

9. Andrew

Andrew Guest

The transfer is shit, the sound rocks, the extras are below average (no, the commentary is not very good).

But it's ZOMBIE and $10...so that makes it worth getting no matter what.

10. Hi, I bought it when it was re-released and I like it a lot. I've heard nothing but bad things about AB's ZOMBIE before I got it, but to me the image is very crisp and clean. It is nowhere as bad as AB's DAY OF THE DEAD DVD as I thought it would be from hearing what people were saying. All the gore is intact. The only footage missing are from minor dialog scenes or static scenery shots that are cut just seconds too soon (so I hear). No big deal. And it sales for only $10 or so.

11. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

blaster...

Could you shed some light on this possible release through SS? Will this SE see the light of day? :)

12. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Guest

The current transfer of Zombie is not that bad considering.

The main problem was that it was not anamorphic.

Guys I got a widescreen TV and it is big and while I clearly see the advantages of a 16x9 transfer, just because it is not 16x9 does not make it crap. I swear I often see people that don't even own a 16x9 TV bitching about non 16x9 transfers.

Yeah I wish they all were 16x9 but I can stillenjoy a letterbox 4x3 movie on my widescreen TV without throwing a hissy fit. :)

Which is exactly what I do with LDs all the time. I was watching the original SW movies just a few weeks ago in their NON-SE Han Shoots first form and thought it looked great.

Max

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2002
  13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I don't even have a widescreen TV and it looked pretty bad on mine. The first time around I didn't notice, but the second time it looked like the sky was constantly moving back and fourth in small boxes. Weird :).

14. Shannafey

After everything said here, I will stick with my AB VHS copy until something better comes out.

15. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Guest

Andrew,
    Maybe I did not expect much from it, because it looked like crap when I saw in a theater way way back when it first came out.

I can even tell you that it was the Roxy Theater on Miami Beach on Wash and about 15th. Heck I bet it isn't even there anymore. :)

Max

16. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I have the AB tape and I foolishly bought the original AV DVD. Is the new one an improvement or is it exactly the same? Not that I'd get it. What bugs me the most is that there is no time code. Also, I noticed that static objects shimmer back and forth... that 's really annoying.

17. Shannafey

That sounds like the problems everyone else is reporting. I believe this is the same release. They just reissued it and gave it a lower price tag. Pisses me off, because I couldn't find the old dvd, so I broke down and bought the VHS, but I guess from what I have heard, it was the better choice. I would definitely wait for a better release and pray that we do get it eventually.

18. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Max - I wasn't saying it looks the worst it's ever looked, just no where near as good as it could. The disc's problems were mainly digital, which is the fault of AB, not the source material.

But yeah, I'm sure it's looked worse, I just think it needs to look better.

19. CJ

CJ Guest

Didn't AB try to get access to the source materials again in order to re-master it for the re-issue? If I remember rightly, AB were told by the licensees that they would have to pay again, even though only a year was left on the AB license agreement. AB declined and hence they simply re-issued the previous disc in slightly altered packaging.

20. Beastus

Beastus New Member

Than sounds about right, from what I can remember.