ZOMBIELAND - (coming October 2009)

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Jun 19, 2009.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but Zombieland ain't got nothing on Shaun of the Dead!

I just saw Zombieland tonight and while I liked it, it was no classic. The writing was a little too simple for my tastes. You know you're in trouble when 90% of the movie has a voice over explaining everything to you! The movie was really made by the performances and the direction. Worth checking out while it's still in theaters.

2. lv426

lv426 New Member

Loved it! And I can't wait for another........sequel, not remake...... yes, I'm looking at you Michael Bay.

3. Glad to hear, from Fangoria to Dread Central and here on down, that it's getting mostly positive reviews. I REALLY, unfortunately, don't care for heading on out to the average North American multiplex these days, unfortunately, especially since both within driving distances to me have royally fucked in the ass adult ticket prices, bad consession stand prices as well as food item choices, as well as too many teens and just plain ghetto-ized people who ruin it talking on cell phones and texting (after they've paid to view a film--which I find very odd).

I REALLY wanna support this fine and mostly original looking genre comedy in theaters, as I liked Shaun of the Dead enough and this look's fine, and I genuineally like Woody a lot. I'll snatch it up retail on Blu-Ray opening day, I promise, but as I've stated before (simply click on my name and read my past posts, for all two who might give a shit), I've given up on seeing movies in a large modern theater for a while untill I move to better and more suburbanite surrounds with more nicer choices and I'm more financially stable as well with my continued saving up.

But like I said, all in all, it look's REALLY cool and amusing to me. I'm glad it's doin' well.

4. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

My buddy reviewed it... I'm down if it ever comes to my theatre here.

http://www.oh-the-horror.com/page.php?id=575

Woody is the fuckin' man, so the movie must be fuckin' prime. I mean, the guy made White Men Can't Jump tolerable.

5. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Like I said I wasn't too hot on the VO when the movie started but it grows on you. It was just a tool they used and used it quite well especially when doing the flashbacks. Make no mistake this is not a totally misplaced VO like in The Searchers. It fits with the style of the movie just like all the big text signs with the "rules" that pop up. It's not the smartest movie ever written but it's a very good time with only maybe 2 scenes that slow down. Otherwise it's a short, to the point, non stop fun ride. They could have padded it out to 2 hours but it would have ruined the fast paced flow of the movie. Not it's not really scary but there is a lot of blood. And Shaun isn't scary either. Does that make it a bad horror comedy?

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I agree with basically all of fattyjoe's remarks, expect I didn't really mind the voice over. I think the comedy didn't really work for most part but the action sequences were well done. Although some of the setups were a bit too convenient.

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

$25 million opening weekend.

Wow!

8. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

All pretty much true, but it was still a fun ride film. Didn't walk into it expecting much more than an hour and a half of what was in the trailer, and that's what I got.

Worn out bare bones plot? Wasn't much of a plot to speak of - the whole film was a zombie road trip (and not a whole lot of zombie during the trip). Not scary? Mildly disagree, while a lot of potentially scary moments were pre-disarmed by a humor angle, there were a few moments. The ending certainly built a sense of doom, and the script was just smart enough that you half expected it might have taken a bolder turn here than it did. Humor was hit and miss, just enough on the hit side to keep things flowing. And anyone expecting something new obviously didn't read the movie poster credits or listen to the trailer soundtrack.

Basically the film didn't rise to any new heights, but it didn't sink to any lows either. It didn't make any bold statements, but it didn't insult your intelligence. It’s not even up to par with Shaun of the Dead (which I consider over rated), and IMO the zombie comedy crowns remain firmly in the rigor mortis grasp of Return of the Living Dead, Dead Alive, and Dellamorte Dellamore. But it was a fun ride, didn't promise any more than it delivered and didn't deliver any less than it promised. Was it good enough I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD? Probably not (Shaun was a grudging budget buy, and as much as I worship Romero Land remains something I want my money back for). But for fans of the genre - or just anyone interested in seeing a quirky action flick that doesn't make your brain turn to dog shit - I recommended seeing it.

9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Saw this on Sunday and although I liked the film, it was nothing spectacular. There were some good effects and a few funny parts, but nothing that knocked my socks off or that I haven't seen before. I didn't think it was too original; more of a retread of many films, but passable. I did enjoy Woody and his quest for a twinke. Overall, 7 out of 10.

10. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I would rate it a 6 out of 10. it was entertaining enough, but nothing great. The clown in the bathroom stall was the only laugh out loud part for me. I also enjoyed all the slow motion parts including the opening credits. the interesting thing is all my non-horror friends seem to think its really funny and liked it much more than I did.

11. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I saw this Sunday and enjoyed the hell out of it, and yes, thankfully not another Shaun of the Dead. This was actually funny and the characters won me over from the get-go. This is one of Harrelson's best roles, and I had never seen her in anything else before this, but Emma Stone is flat-out gorgeous. I loved the Amber Heard cameo as well, not to mention another cameo that is better left unspoiled. Really got a kick out of that. The finale at the theme park is lots of fun, and if they were to make a sequel, I would definitely be there to see it.

12. cjg

cjg Active Member

best horror movie this year best comedy also

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Saw the movie. It was really good. I'm not going to compare it Shaun of the Dead because I feel its quite different. Sure it has the zombie & comedy factor, but its a different premise & vibe. I think both should stand on their own.

Bottom line for me, the film worked on just about on all levels. Could have had a tad more zombie "encounters". Which could have been rectified if they added about ten minutes to the movie. The movie ran about 81 min. Could have been longer. The ending was a little rushed, it felt everything was thrown in at once. Almost as if they were running out of movie time.(but it was all action) Which is why it should have been longer. , but these are just a minor complaints.

Also I enjoyed the soundtrack & the "rules" "pop ups". The later was a nice touch.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

With about another $11.3 million or so. It will be the highest grossing "zombie" film in the U.S. Already in the top 10 horror comedy. And its only two weeks out.

A little surprised by that.

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Finally caught this last night and thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of it! Just an all-around fun flick and great comedy horror mash-up! All the characters were great, the hilarious cameo as mentioned (make sure you stay through the end credits for a bonus clip), and some great gore even if most of it was CGI. Overall a great romp and fresh take on the zombie genre!

16. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Saw it over the weekend, great flick! Lots of fun!

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

18. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

19. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Still vague but dvdtalk.com forums report "Best Buy Exclusive 'Nut up or Shut Up Edition' includes Bonus DVD featuring Shootin' Zombies with Ruben Fleischer [Zombieland director] and behind-the-scenes footage."

At first glance these additions seem minimal but I'll probably pick it up anyway.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  20. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Might have to pick up that version. This was a pretty enjoyable flick.