Zombies Don't Run - They Can't (Romero)

Discussion in 'General' started by dwatts, Mar 7, 2008.

?

Can Zombies Run?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    64.5%
  3. Undecided

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That's the usual justification, but face it, ROTLD has more scary parts in it than most "serious" movies. And a lot of that probably has to do with their speed, too.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, the photo I posted (since removed by the host) was of Chinese hopping vampires. They have to hop, due to the rigor mortis freezing their joints (yet they're still capable of amazing kung-fu, go figure).

If y'all thought running zombies was dumb, it's nothing compared to Chinese hopping vampires...

3. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Usual or not, that's my view of the movie. There's nothing scary about the movie. It's chock-full of one-liners and hilarious parts that we (a buddy and I) laugh and joke about all the time. We only spin this one to laugh our asses off. The speedy zombies in this movie are funny. Especially the Goldberg zombie who spears the one paramedic. I've thought this movie was funny ever since I first saw it when I was around 10-11 years old. But all of that doesn't mean I don't think it's one of the best movies ever, because it's right up there for me. I just don't take it as a serious zombie flick at all.

4. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Yeah I prefer slow, even though I still do love ROTLD, Nightmare City, Zombi 3, etc. The very word 'zombie' evokes feelings of lumbering slowness in me.

But what's the deal with SMART zombies?? As much as I enjoyed Land Of The Dead, I think I'd rather have a running zombie than another Big Daddy!

5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Been a bit of a fan of hopping vampires. One of my all time favorite arcade games featured them. Even got a card redesigned and published in a CCG based on how I thought they should work in the game.

Never considered them to be especially scary (and when their hopping turns more to flying they start to lose their distinction from Chinese ghosts or demons), but more an interesting twist. As for the rigor mortis explaination, I've also heard their corpses being desicated being the reason. Most movies never bother trying to explain them, figuring the viewer will fill in the details from cultural legends.

6. maybrick

Fair enough that you don't find it scary, but a lot of people do and would. The speed at which that first zombie runs out of the freezer when they unbolt the door is pretty shocking when you first see it, for instance. It's a funny movie, but isn't like it's LOVE AT FIRST BITE or YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, GHOSTBUSTERS or even EVIL DEAD 2/ARMY OF DARKNESS. There still a lot of plenty of scary stuff afoot for those who aren't entirely desensitized to horror movies.

7. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

I'm down with the traditional slow lumbering zombies but I totally agree with Maybrick on ROTLD. Yeah ROTLD had running zombies, but for all it's humor and 'going against the rules' it still works as a serious film. While it may no longer scare me now that I'm older, as a kid when I first saw ROTLD it was damn effective and for some still is. That's the lasting value of the film for me is that it walks the line between serious and campy and executes both styles perfectly. Not to turn this into a ROTLD stroke fest or nothing, but for my money ROTLD is a CLASSIC zombie movie despite it having fast running zombies. That being said, Romero still gets my admiration and respect for kick starting the whole genre in the first place. I wish 'Diary' would play somewhere close to where I live so i can see how it compares to 'Land.'

8. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Romero may have done great work with zombies but he did not invent them. His opinion reminds me of somebody that creates something, gets a lot of praise, and then does not want to see anybody do anything different with it. For me, I enjoy slow or fast zombies. Faster zombies are scarier though. I am not afraid of anything moving at a turtles pace.

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Moogong its nice to see you.
    But I disagree.
    Fast zombies *shock* me but they don't scare me.
    Slow zombies are fucking creepy. They never stop. And no matter how slow they are, they will get you in the end.

Everyone is running these days. Our rythms are so tight...
    Our modern times have caught up with zombies too!

Romero did invent the flesh eating zombies methinks, no?

10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Good point though.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

That was perfect. I couldn't have said it any better myself!

Thank you. Also, if zombies can't run because their bodies are so brittle, how can they bite down on people hard enough with their teeth to rip open a living person but not have the muscles in their faces and necks rip? Or their skin? Or their jaw bones? How is that possible? It takes a lot of strength to bite into a person and tear them open. Plus, in the movie The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, the zombies didn't run. Presumably for the same reason. But, then, how are they strong enough to lift a huge stone cross and bang it against the door as hard as they did?

There are tons of these kinds of logical errors in the whole philosophy of zombie movies. Why can't we just let the writers and directors do their thing the way they want to?

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I prefer slow moving zombies. But I would be for a movie where if bitten, then only those zombies could move faster. This way you would have both types, slow & fast. I don't think I've seen that in a movie yet.

13. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I like both, and like both the original DAWN OF THE DEAD and the remake. Fast zombies do have limitations as far as story goes....it's just hard to conceive of a situation where the living characters have any kind of fighting chance against them. You can do more with slow moving zombies--and usually the gross-out factor is a lot higher. But I've liked both over the years, and think each is as scary as the other, just in different ways.

BTW, I'm old enough to remember when RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD was released theatrically, and it was marketed the same way as any other horror film that came out that year. I think the horror elements are just as strong as they are in say, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE PT. 2. I don't see many people claiming that's not a real horror film. There's just been this revisionist streak to see ROTLD as a total comedy, I guess just because the zombies in it are fast.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Can Zombies Run? LOL CLEARLY THEY CAN! Are Return of the Living Dead and the Dawn of the Dead remake not proof enough? George fucking Romero: "Zombies can't run, their ankles would snap." How the fuck does he know? He didn't create the zombie character. Oh and is he forgetting the point ZOMBIES DON'T EXIST ANYWAYS!!! THEY'RE NOT REAL! It's not like you can do an experiment based upon his argument. He's trying to make a stupid point about a fucking fake, imaginary, make-believe character. I dunno, George Romero pisses me off. He's really stuck-up and full of himself. Honestly George, get over yourself.

I swear to God he gets more and more like George LUCAS everytime I hear something about him.

~Matt

15. rp108

rp108 Guest

Romero is right. If it wasnt for Romero there wouldnt be Return Of The Living Dead or 28 Days Later.

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Which, according to the poll, puts you in a sizable minority. You must like broken ankle type zombies. :D

17. maybrick

Maybe, maybe not. Even with Night of the Living Dead there was a precedent. Before NotLD there was I AM LEGEND and INVISIBLE INVADERS. It's unlikely that there would have been RETURN without NIGHT on account that it was an unofficial sequel, but then, John Russo had a hand in writing both films. Who's to say that had Romero never existed Russo would never have written the story? Where 28 Days Later is concerned I'm less convinced of it's debt to Romero then I am of it's debt to Day of the Triffids. The Infected have almost nothing in common with Romero's Ghouls. They run, they don't eat human flesh, and most importantly, they're still alive.

18. gore

gore Guest

I like how the slow moving zombie worked in the original dotd and even day. The characters start to get a little cocky with the zombies BECAUSE they move slow, taunting them etc., only to get into a corner or trapped in a room and ripped apart...slowly.

19. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

George Romero FTW!

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Ouch. That's low.