Zombies Don't Run - They Can't (Romero)

Discussion in 'General' started by dwatts, Mar 7, 2008.

?

Can Zombies Run?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    64.5%
  3. Undecided

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Count your blessings that he isn't going back and amping up his old movies with CGI blood. That's all I have to say.

2. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Slow zombies work a lot better for the movies Romero is making...where one of the key points is often how "we're blowing this ourselves." With the faster ghouls, it really doesn't matter what people do...they're lunch.

3. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

I think it'd make sense if newly dead 'zombies' were fast and as they decomposed they would get slower.

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yes, and I don't understand why LOL. :rolleyes:

The poll should've been titled "should zombies be able to run?" or "should zombies run?" By saying "Can zombies run?" Well...yes....yes, quite obviously they can. If they've done it in a movie then yes, zombies can run. Point in case lol.

Anyway, running zombies seem to make me more :nervous: and :eek:

~Matt

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

:D I don't think the semantics would have made any difference, people seem to have understood this enormously complex question just fine. ;)

I prefer my zombies walking myself. Not because of Romero or his thoughts, but because to me it's truer to what I imagine would be the case. I think the slow zombies are far scarier - running zombies could really be anything... dead or alive. The walking kind seem more "monster" to me.

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I wouldn't say I "prefer" a type of zombie, but I think they both have their flaws. Running zombies, for example come off as really funny sometimes, when they run into buildings, cars, etc. I think they pose more of a threat, though. Slow zombies...well...the only thing that's always bugged me is HOW THE HELL DO THEY CATCH UP TO PEOPLE!? I don't find slow zombies to be half as threatening as the running ones, to be perfectly honest. But I mean, whatever. To each his own.

~Matt

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I think, for me, the thing is - what makes a zombie unique, different from just some maniac. Running zombies just come across as just another maniac who wants to chase and kill you. Walking zombies seem uniquelly zombi-ish. Zombies brains have rotted out a bit, so they're slow... they don't think very well, they're focused on instinct, the synapses ain't firing. So they're sloooow.

How do they catch you? Oh, you've seen the movies. :D

8. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Assuming Zombies were even true..........

Perhaps like humans you would naturally have zombies moving at various speeds due to decay etc etc. New and fresh ones moving faster than old and rotting ones.

Just a thought

9. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I think it's OK for zombies to run. But they need to make sure they wait at least 30 minutes after eating or they'll cramp up. And make sure to wear the appropriate shoes.

10. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Yes, infected humans run and zombies shuffle. In rare instances, zombies can run but only in horror comedies or remakes.

11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Obviously you don't have much experience with the concept of the ambush predator. Or the pack predator.

Crocodiles routinely take down gazelle, zebras, buffalo, and other animals they couldn't possibly chase down. Its all a matter of being in the right place with an inattentive prey.

Look up the monkfish sometime, or any number of other benthic ambush predator fish.

Humans routinely chase down much faster prey simply by relentless pursuit. The prey animal wears itself out running away. Wolves do the same. Various swarming ants also take down larger, faster prey simply by surprise and numbers. In each case the prey can easily outrun the individual predator in normal circumstances, except for their being in the wrong place at the wrong time facing down a pack and then inefficiently making their escape attempts.

If being faster, or smarter, than your prey was a requirement for a successful predator, there would be a lot of starving species right now.

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Zombies are the clever stupid. They're wily.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I don't think zombies should be able to run. At least the rotting kind shouldn't:)

14. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

So..
    Running zombies: preposterous.
    But..
    Empathetic, intelligent, communicating zombies (Land of the Dead): A-OK??

So running would 'make their ankles snap', but they can rip peoples bodies apart? (Day of the Dead).

Okay Georgie.

edit; also, Romero didnt invent zombies ;)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

but he did make them popular;)

16. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Who said he did?

17. Criswell

Criswell New Member

The point is total helplessness and an inevitability. Sure they move slow, but man, there is a BILLION of the buggers.........you cant ever get totally away. Sometime or another your gun is gonna jam, your baseball bat will snap, or while running away, you'll sprain your ankle. Then.............YOUR FUCKED!!! :evil:

18. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

dont think anyone in this thread has, I havnt read it all though. But people seem to think he should have the final say in zombie 'mythology'.... though because he didnt create them, his take on them is no more or less valid than DoTD remake, or RotLD, or 28 Days Later (I know, not technically zombies, but was used in the original example). they are all perfectly valid takes on zombies, and Romero's isnt the 'right' depiction because he didnt invent them

19. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I'm asking again,
    who was the first to show flesh eating zombies in cinema?

20. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

He didn't create them, but he put them on the map. Doom wasn't the first FPS, but it made those kinds of games popular.