Zombies Don't Run - They Can't (Romero)

Discussion in 'General' started by dwatts, Mar 7, 2008.

?

Can Zombies Run?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    64.5%
  3. Undecided

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I agree. But you dont see people going 'wtf, fps are SUPPOSED to have demons in it, thats how DOOM did it, thats how all fps should do it!'

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I think Romero was the first with Night of the Living Dead... but I'm not sure that really changes much. I believe the first zombie movie was White Zombie - although prior to that there had been stage plays.....

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why there's such animosity for Romero's comments. Yes, he directed the movie that spawned the modern zombie sub-genre, but that said, he's still a member of the general moviegoing audience. He isn't saying anything that I haven't heard said from multiple other sources from multiple message boards over the years. Just because he's George Romero he shouldn't be able to chime in his two cents? I don't think he's trying to dictate what is or isn't a zombie at all, and that people are reading too much into his opinions.

4. Roo

Roo Member

These are the Zombies I like best.......
    [​IMG]

5. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

HAHA, yeah man, right on! "The FUNK of forty-thousand years...." Good one!

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Anyone ever read "The Tortise and the Hare"?
    There you have it. Fast zombies are stupid jerk-offs and will lose to their lumbering counterparts everytime!:D

Seriously, I grew up with slow zombies and still prefer them, as they are relentless and will catch up and get ya no matter how fast or far you run. Something about having that thin glimmer of hope by being able to dodge or take out limited numbers makes it even scarier.

Fast zombies? They are scary in a whole different way. They also lead to the inevitable miracle escapes I so loathe in movies. Never thought I'd say this since I really like the DOTD remake, but it's kinda on par with Godzilla or Independance Day, in that it creates these perfect, unbeatable killers, and some fucking tools keep surviving situations that trained professional killers get their asses handed to them in. I can only suspend disbelief so much. Marines fall like dominos to baby Godzillas, but those hero tools can beat them without weapons? Bitch please!:fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck:

The bar is set too high with the runners, as they don't seem to tire like the living do. So if you're caught outside, you're just done. The DOTD remake should've been over in 10 minutes. They were outside and in the open, how the fuck did they get to the mall with all the fast zombies around? They would've been run down and eaten in the parking lot at best.

7. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

Do you still keep in touch?

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'd have to agree with that though. Zombies can't run because they're dead but they grow smarter the longer they're around? That doesn't make a lick of sense and one of the things I did complain about after seeing Land of the Dead.

That and making zombies sympathetic; I think Romero's got Stockholm syndrome after being typecast to zombies for too long. He's begun to identify with the attackers and not the victims.

Romero did invent flesh eating "zombies" though. The idea that a corpse would spontaneously re-animate and become cannibalistic was new to 1968.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I actualy didn't see it that way - the way I saw it, the zombies were simply acting instinctively, and some instincts are more deeply buried, and were now breaking through. I mean, they were heading to malls earlier in the series..... so I saw Land of the Dead as an extension of that. Not that it didn't have other problems......

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well it's just that for the same reasons that they can't run they probably wouldn't really be able to think. It takes very little oxygen deprivation to cause brain damage. So I think that's a double standard for Romero to have.

In Day of the Dead it was "acceptable" because the doctor was behind it. It was a control environment.

11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

There were also the little issues like it was a better written script, a better acted role,...

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

True, so long as it's done right it's easier to suspend disbelief. That's just it though, there needs to be justification for Romero to break his own rules.

Where as in Land "Big Daddy" was just a rotting hunk of meat for brains until he suddenly had the epiphany that the killing of his fellow living impaired was morally reprehensive and required restitution. After this paradigm shift Big Daddy then walked his way to Fiddler's Green to munch some guts, because well everyone knows zombies can't run; "They're dead, they're all messed up."

This isn't in defense of running zombies. Just holding Romero to his own standards.

13. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

No they can't Romero is totally tits. They can dance though!

14. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

Well, since this was resurrected, I'll toss my 2 cents in . . .

There is actually a living dead mythos of zombies that can run. They're called "Juju" zombies. Of course they're animated by magical means via Voodoo, so the this mythos and the flesh-eathing zombie mythos (which Romero pioneered) don't really mesh.

Surprised no one mentioned Nightmare City in their arguments for running zombies though!

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Everybody who has ever seen news footage of Walmart on Black Friday knows perfectly well that zombies CAN run.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

So the people who were trampled and killed got back up and did some shopping?

It occurs to me that Dead & Buried makes reference to the fact that the dead need maintenance every few days. Possible Spoilers: Although they're clearly talking about the make up, there's obvious indications of renewed embalming and even people staying in whatever those morgue fridges are called.

Outside of a wizard doing it, a dead person isn't going to be walking around after a week's time.

17. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre New Member

I remember hearing a woman tell me about how she videotaped the music video and brought it into school. The class watched it over and over and over again. It was a sensation. Great effects work in it, too.

If you're going to be pure about your definition zombies can't run:

Everything suggests slow, creeping menace. The figurative use of the word is even based on the idea that a zombie is slow (physically, to both act and think). Case in point: You don't hear a mother describe her kid who jumps out of bed as a zombie, but rather the one that takes a good deal of prodding and coercion to wake up in the morning.

Of course the meanings of words change over time. I think more important questions are:

Does a zombie population's speed inform a critical reading of the film?

Does the zombie population's speed seem unrealistic, undermining the spectators willful suspension of disbelief (and subsequently their enjoyment of the film)? (Or is the disillusionment intentional, and being used as a device by the filmmaker to trump audience expectations?)

18. BrokeNads

BrokeNads New Member

Zombies is dead people to move around but can they run is posible if is maybe to run commencement just after the death for some minutes when corpse is fresh yet. After time is start to slow and rotted and hard in arms and legs knee and ankels. Is maybe posible to move this time but is not in control and maybe can run but is quick to fall from control. Also is another point is about zombies to eat people and is not digest this meat so is stay in stomack if is eat more and more is stay and grow the stomack until is part a belly like a pregnancy. Soon is zombies can not move because of this. I think is better to have this slow zombies also 28 days later movies is not zombies but is infect persons with virus and in this case is can be running because is a person in madness form in the brain from a virus and is the mind goes crazy and wants to kill and eat. This persons is not need to be dead only to infect with virus when is living.

19. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I get the cool look of a slow moving zombie, but it would give me plenty of time to find something to kill them with. If it is fast moving, there is no time. It would be "Holy F!", and I would have to start running and hope I can find something quick enough as well as having the time to pick it up before I get pounced on. Plus, your heart would be beating not only out of fear, but exhaustion. So you're chance of survival would be greatly decreased.

With all due respect to Romero, he's made his money and people are still licking his ass for a movie he did 30 years ago. So I agree that this guy should relax.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  20. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Running vs. walking is like sudden shock and terror vs. slow inevitable dread. To me, both have their place.