Zombie's HALLOWEEN teaser

Discussion in 'General' started by indiephantom, Apr 7, 2007.

1. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Pretty weak. This really didn't do much to assuage my fears about the film. I still think it's unnecessary. I've always loved everything Zombie has done, but this is a clear case (to me) of him stepping in where he shouldn't have. In fact, I vaguely remember a quote form him stating that people should be remaking bad movies, not great films.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  2. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre New Member

I was pleasantly surprised by this trailer. I think they got the suburban feel down, which is very important (to me) when it comes to Halloween.

I like what they've done with Michael. It's a demythologization, this back story and glimpse at his eyes. He's a human in which something has gone terribly wrong, psychologically, and not a supernatural 'Samhain' force. In a word, he's become more realistic than we've ever seen him before. (I hope he's not as impervious to harm as in the other films!) Just look at the way he interacts with characters when he's killing them; it's very physical.

I also like the fact that Zombie doesn't seem to be using darkness/extreme obstruction of vision as a crutch, as so many horror films do. (The scene where he's following Laurie on the street is a perfect example.) If he can deliver scares without this I will be very pleased.

The cinematography didn't strike me as particularly interesting, especially the jumpy home movie stuff, static shots of Michael's childhood, and zoom scare at the end.

Dialogue was a bit too histrionic for my taste. (No reputable psychologist would use the generic, otdated term 'psychopath' anymore.) However, the girls' acting seemed okay. I like the way Michael moves. He often looks like a stunt man in other films with an exaggerated style, and I was afraid it'd be the same here with that ex-wrestler guy in the role.

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

Good observations, my man. Yeah, the demythologization is an interesting way to approach it, but it is a fine line to tread. People have been raised on the story so long, such a change as major as that would be like having the ghost of Hamlet's father revealing himself at the end to never have died in the first place. I think stepping away from the POV in the opening scene is a good idea, since it is so iconic now, trying to outdo it would no doubt agitate the fans. Side-stepping the whole shot altogether and focusing more on the events is an interesting take, but I still don't know about the eyes.

Michael just doesn't seem that scary to me here, partly because of those big vulnerable eyes, and that derivative mask. The mask in the original is so striking because of its blankness. It is so inorganic, so lacking life, that it feels otherworldly. That, coupled with shadowed eyes, makes him so frightening. The whole Samhain force thing wasn't something explored until the revisionist sequel, but in the first the blank face and lack of eyes just dehumanizes him as a man incapable of human feeling, not as a demon. Here, again, it just makes him Leatherface, a psycho whose squirrelly eyes just gaze off madly in all directions, like a kid looking for stimulation. Too early to tell now, probably, but it just doesn't strike me as all that scary.

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Marketing sure didn't go out of their way to make this look different from all the other horror previews out there. What's with the muted color, frames-caught-in-the-projecter and speeded up clips? :eek2: For the past several years these films have been doing that same approach - oft times in the film itself. I hope they don't make Meyers too human - he's so unscary when you know too much about him or, heaven forbid: sympathize with.
    At the least the film has curiosity going for it. I was hoping Rob Zombie would remake something really hot like Incredible Melting Man. Now THAT needs reinventing;)

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, the way they promote it in the trailer is pretty suspect. Like what is with the green text? This isn't TROLL 2, this is set in autumn for christ's sake!

6. Slug

Slug Guest

I am probably going to have death threat for saying this but the fact that Rob Zombie is behind this movie I will pass. I think all of his movies are just shit.

7. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Nope, sorry. I'm out. I'm treating this film as I treat any other film with a trailer that doesn't interest me. This simply proves all my fears that Zombie is nothing more than an overgrown fan with a high school outcast's obsession with serial killer books and shock entertainment. He shows nothing but a hamfisted and sophomoric style of portraying anything scary or disturbing and has all the grace of a bodybuilder arm wrestling a two-year old.

8. VenicuS

VenicuS Guest

I for one dug it, and I am looking forward to seeing Zombie's take on it. For me, this is definitely not going to replace Carpenter's original, and it's one of the few recent remakes I'm actually interested in.

I admit, I'm a fan of House of 1,000 Corpses, and The Devil's Rejects, so I think Zombie has the talent to at least make this one interesting to watch. And to be honest, I'd prefer this one to something like Halloween:Resurrection again. Now that was a flaming piece of horse shit, Jamie Lee Curtis cameo or no.

9. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

That trailer did nothing for me...

10. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Its just a FUCKING TRAILER for god sakes......

11. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I just watched it for a second time and agree with most of the negative comments here... it's just bland. I wanted to be excited about it, but I'm not.

12. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Fiskfark is just angry because Zombie is remaking the first Halloween and not his personal favorite, 5. I am a little upset at that myself.

All kidding aside, that trailer was pretty bad. The shakey camera needs to go. I do like the look of Michael though, never was a fan of the clean, bright white mask.

13. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Yeah there's no way it will but I am kinda glad Zombies doing something different with it. We don't want another Psycho.

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'll be checking this out.

15. Fistfuck

True... with those big eyeholes in this mask, it would be that much better to watch Michael cry.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

psycho remake might have been good if it wasn't script to script shot for shot from original if it was gus van sant's own vision it probably would of been better but then who know maybe even worser

17. Fistfuck

Well, as long as you're certain of it...

18. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the trailer either. Especially the "silence.... then OMFG JUMP SCARE LOL!!!" at the end. But I'm certainly not going to say "after this trailer, its confirmed that Zombie is a no-talent hack hunk of garbage that couldn't direct out of a paper bag, and he should die of cancer and rot in hell for eternity". I mean come on.

19. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

:lol:

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Yeah - those are all made in the editing room instead of filmmaker skill. That particular "jump" didn't even make sense - what the hell was I looking at?
    Not too long ago, I met a guy who works in editing trailers at a major studio and...get this: even HE hates this technique, but they have to do this because the higher ups feel that's what the audience wants/expects.
    We talked for a good hour about this. Yes, the big comedies MUST have slapstick inserted - kicks in the groin especially. And it's definitely true that the appeal is for teen boys rather than adults especially for serious turns by actors like Will Smith and Adam Sandler. The appeal should still be aimed at that set.
    All I can say is: :fucked: