Zombies: running or walking?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jan 30, 2004.

?

running or walking?

1. Running

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. Walking

34 vote(s)
    61.8%
  3. Both

18 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Ya never know, there might be some new social commentary in the remake. We'll just have to wait and see.

2. Numania

Numania Guest

My thoughts exactly.

Rhett (well, everyone, actually), did they actually run in Shockwaves? They moved quickly, yes, but was there running? I honestly can't remember, so it's not a poke or anything. But they were a different case as well. They were modified or something, right? That's why they took to the water so well. Not your average zombies...

As for my vote, as seen above, I went with walking. Maybe because that's the zombie archetype I grew up with (Thriller, Dawn, Return), or maybe because of the horror type I prefer. Shock horror (which I file fast "zombies" under) doesn't really compare with the building doom type of horror (which I file slow ZOMBIES under).
    People that prefer fast "zombies" should watch movies with creepy music and cats jumping out of cabinets.

3. Numania

Numania Guest

I may be very wrong here, but didn't Romero disregard the fact that people took Dawn to represent rampant consumer culture? I only have the shitty one disc R2 version (wicked awaiting the AB one) without a commentary. I thought I read that this was a made up critic take on the movie. Maybe mine has a commentary...I don't know... I don't watch it often due to the shitty quality. I need to hear about it straight from Georgie's mouth (via you cats...or a link...via you cats).

4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I went with both...depends on the flm. :cool:

5. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I voted for walking, just because they're creepier that way - like in Zombie or The Beyond. But I still love flicks like Braindead, Nightmare City , and Zombi 3 where the zombies move more quickly. Hell, as long as folks get torn to shreds and preferrably eaten, I'm good. :evil:

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Both: The majority should walk, but its cool to occasionally run into that bugged-out Zombie that hasn't fed in a while.

7. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I like walking, but I'll take zombies any way I can get them if they're done right. One thing is that they shouldn't run if they've been in the ground for a while.

8. KingJeff

KingJeff Guest

I like slow, shambling corpses as much as the next guy. However, I liked Return of the Living Dead, Nightmare City, and 28 Days Later enough to know that sometimes variety is the spice of life.

9. i voted walking, running zombies suck

10. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

Personally I like both :)

11. Ash

Ash New Member

I voted walking zombies. Zombies shouldn't be able to run like olympic runners or do acrobats etc. The infected in 28 Days Later were not zombies in any shape or form. Just because they craved human flesh doesn't make them zombies.

12. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

hey mutleyhyde- maybe you could merge the two threads together- i did a search for this thread the second i saw this post because i knew the poll existed but i couldn't find it. and i did a specific search in the polls section for the word zombies.

13. Severn

Severn Member

I like both of them just equally. Faster zombies are more threatening. If anything slower zombies tend to do well due to human beings screwing themselves over and ruining whatever good set up they have. Fast zombies are just brutal man and even one of those fuckers is dangerous. One good thing about the slower zombies is that I like how more rotted the make-up is. I like how they tend to look totally decomposed and we get to see that on screen (in the Dawn 04 DVD I saw some really nice rotted looking make-up in the behind the scenes extras but since they were running and what not in the movie I couldn’t appreciate the zombie make-up since I never quite got a good look at them).

I like them both a lot but I love the idea of them being fast at the beginning but then slowly tend to fall apart as time goes on.

14. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I prefer the fast zombies it makes much more sense. If you prefer the rigor mortis theroy then it makes sense that the body will begin to rot and once the muscles are gone... no more zombie moving. The fast zombies have to infect as soon as possible and seem much more viscious almost like a murderer or madman chasing you. The quick can easily mass, as seen in the mini bus scene in DOTD 04, and cause massive mayham. I just can't see the slow rambling zombies getting to one place in one piece in time to do anything other then fall down.

15. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

I don't see why a writer/director can't make slow moving zombies scary. It's all about the type of envirnonment they're in. If you're out in the open and can flee really easily, of course it's not that scary. But if you're in a very confined, claustrophobic space with a bunch of zombies (who are just walking toward you), it can be very tense. It's all about the setting. I think if you wanted fast moving zombies who win a sprinting contest, you might as well have them be werewolves or some other type of creature. Zombies are supposed to be slow and stupid...they're dead. Romero's monsters will always be the ones people associate zombies with best.

16. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Both have their advantages. To me romero stuffed up a bit in Dawn with the music score that sometimes made fun of the Zombies......pretty amateurish.

I can't think of a scene that compares to the re-make of Dawn that matched the scene where the zombies first swarm the buses. Simple awesome.

But then again the scene in Fulci's Zombie where the people stumble into the shack to find 5 zombies very slowly eating the woman is simply gut-wrenching.

17. scaryguy88

scaryguy88 New Member

I prefer slow moving zombies,i mean fast moving ones are scarier but if a rotting corpes is chasing you its gonna be falling apart and going very slow.

18. Alexander

Alexander Guest

I don´t know about you guys, but the sprinter zombies from DOTD´04 scared the shit outta my pants.

And as much as I love Bub, I can run around him several times and kick him in the ass and nuts alternately.

19. I think walking is better because it makes the movie more real. Usually in most scary movies like Friday the 13th or Halloween, the killer is always walking after the guy trying to get away. But, somehow, the killer still catches the good guy. So zombies should walk. In Dawn of the Dead, Ken Foree says "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth", he doesn't say that the dead will run on earth. In the Dawn of the Dead remake, they had the zombies running and it did make it interesting, but if you were to put the movie in reality, those people running from the zombies probably wouldn't have had a great chance of living and i know some say it's just a movie and that it's not supposed to be real, but this is my opinion. I ended up saying to myself that there was no way they could have gotten themselves outta that one.

20. Alexander

Alexander Guest

There are running zombies In RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD.