Zombies: running or walking?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jan 30, 2004.

?

running or walking?

1. Running

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. Walking

34 vote(s)
    61.8%
  3. Both

18 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 19VOORHEES83

19VOORHEES83 New Member

Yes there are running zombies in Return Of The Living Dead ALEXANDER but she wasn't talking about Return of the Living Dead.Also Return of the Living Dead is a whole different movie...its an 80's horrorfest and the running zombies they have now is not the same.The new dawn is still very good tho..i just bought the movie when it came out.

2. Alexander

Alexander Guest

Dude, I was just saying that there are running zombies in ROTLD. Just that.

3. You two need to calm down lol. Ignore my boyfriend, he was trying to stick up for me. Although your small convo did make me laugh. Yes there are running zombies in Return of the Living Dead. I do like that movie a lot. In my first post i did say that running zombies are interesting. I guess it just depends on the movie and the characters.

4. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

I hate running Zombies they're not Zombies there not dead people thet are more like deseased rats. That's why I hate 28 Days Later and the Dawn of the Dead re-make. Watch the original Dawn of the Dead the best Zombie movie ever!!!!

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

i really liked the running in the Dawn of the Dead remake just because it was a little different from the usual zombie thing and I've always thought that apart from the occasional person making a wrong turn into a group of zombies, an invalid, or maybe someone who falls and breaks their ankle, how exactly is a zombie gonna get ya? running zombies can get at you. BUT that being said, i voted for the walking or shuffling zombies cause it seems more zombie-like and because darn it, a zombie shuffling slowly towards you is just damn creepy!!

6. Numania

Numania Guest

Well, I'll reiterate what I said a pregnancy ago...it depends on mood. Not the watcher, but rather the writer/director. If you want shock scares and fast action, yes, go with fast zombies. This makes human characters prey and zombies predators. Although slow zombies are still predators, they work a different angle. A cheetah is fast. It will hunt down a Thompson's Gazelle with no problem. However, slow zombies bring an imposingly claustrophobic tone to the story. They're the pack of hyenas getting the same gazelle.

Do you want cheap thrills or building terror?

7. Luna

Luna Guest

Good point. That's why I like my zombies slow. I can deal with running zombies, but the Dawn remake ones were ridiculously pumped up on adrenaline. I just can't appreciate sprinting zombies. They didn't scare me, they annoyed me. Mainly because they were so fast I couldn't actually see their makeup jobs. I mean, what's the point? :D

That said, I am sorry about the pregnancy, but it was too delicious and tender to pass up. Perhaps I should try the next one braised with a hollandaise sauce and a sprig of parsley?

8. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

Zombies should walk only

9. Gothic Queen

Gothic Queen Guest

I think both are necessary depending on how rotten the individual zombie is. My main beef is that they should be believable, not realistic of course just believable. 28 days later would not have been so effective if they just drove arround the country side shooting zombies...you need the predator prey interaction to instill fear.

10. 245Trioxin

245Trioxin Guest

Zombies have always ran and walked, both. Remember in the original Dawn of the Dead when Peter shoots at the closet in the airport lobby? Those children zombies ran at him. Then you have zombies running in The Return of the Living Dead trilogy too. I think the decomposition process dictates whether or not a zombie runs or walks. A recently revived zombie with minimal tissue damage will have greater mobility than a zombie that's been dead for a couple months.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2004
  11. sarah27

sarah27 Guest

Who ever herd of a zombie running? :spit:

12. sarah27

sarah27 Guest

It has nothing to do qith how decomposed they are. To be able to run they would need proper brain function and they don't have that. They have one basic need, the need to feed. They kind of lerch in the same way a headless chicken with still move around, it's all to do with nerve endings. There is not enough strong signals getting to the brain to cause a zombie to run. I've seen lots of zombie movies and the ones that have zombies running always make me laugh.

13. Rock

Rock Member

Doesn't matter whether they're "dead" or just "infected", the fast-moving dead in DOTD (2004) were absolutely terrifying IMO...anyone else out there realize that the only reason they "ran" in the remake is 'cause 28 DAYS LATER did so well at the box office?!