Zombies: Running vs Shambling?? Preference?

Discussion in 'General' started by Criswell, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Criswell

Criswell New Member

O.k, I'm a 41 year old Aussie so me first real hard core Zombie experiences were the re-release of Night in the mis 80's and the initial release of Dawn so I grew up with the shambling Zombie including Fulci.

But since 28 Days (I know- not REAL zombies) and the new Dawn with the frenzied Zombies, a line in the sand seems to have been drawn regarding the future of the genre and how they move.

In the case of the Shamblers to me its a lot more apocolyptic and all engulfing. They are stupid yes, but that also makes them always present. They just keep coming closer and closer. Take for instance the classic closing scene of Burial Ground (Nights of Terror) When the zombies come into the crypt/Chapel you know the survivors are screwed.

The Frenzied approached however is much more immediatly dramatic. An amazing example of this comes from the New Dawn and that AWESOME first shot of thousands of Zombies attacking the fortified Mini buses. Romeroes Zombies could not ever achieve such frightening proportions.

So if you can, give me your age and lets compare views.

P.S As the only one in my family who loves these films. this forum is a freakin godsend!!!

2. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

I like the slow moving zombies better. Its more realistic. I mean, if a dead thing was re-animated i'm sure it woudnt be doing the 50 mile sprint. It would probally be in alot of pain.

3. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

i was just doing a search because i'm watching 28 days later right now and even though alot of hard core zombiologists hack on it, i really enjoy it. to me the fast zombie is more intense and makes for a little more suspense and action. but when a slow zombie gets ya, those bites are powerful so the slow zombie can hold his own weight i suppose but i prefer the fast frenzied zombie myself. i'm 30.

4. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Welcome to the forum. Age;22. Seen all the movies you mentioned. I prefer running. IMO it is ALOT more threatning and scary than something slowly walking towards you, that you can easily run away from. The remake of NoTLD is a perfect example, as the lead character just strolls around between them, taking them out with her gun.

I dont find that situation frightening at all, even in a huge mob you are way more agile and quick, the only real way you would get caught is confining yourself to a closed in area, or letting yourself be surrounded by them. This is really unlikely if you keep moving. Think about walking in a busy section of down town or a busy mall. Its easy to navagte around people that are walking fast, now imagine all the people shuffling around slowly.
    Just not threating imo.

How? they are dead, usually with gunshots or limbs missing :eek:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  5. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

rigor mortis.

6. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I was refering to the pain thing. I doubt a zombie would be in pain from running, if they can be shot 50 times or have their limbs severed and still move around

7. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

Well if they have been dead long enough then they woudnt be able to run. But the zombies in Dawn 04 were very fresh. They re-animated only seconds after death. So i can see why they ran.

8. although I have a warm spot for the shambler no one but Romero can do them properly....anyone else turns them into pure comedy

fast moving zombies are scarier because they're harder to escape (think Barbara leaving the house in the NotLD remake)..

in the new Dawn though the zombies seemed less like traditional flesh eaters and more like a disease...they didn't eat as much as they bit, spread the virus and moved on

9. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I've never heard of a shambling Zomie. :hum:

;)

10. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I've warmed up to the fast zombies but slow zombies just make more sense. Rigor Mortis would definitely slow things down. However, "fresh" zombies would have the benefit of speed before RM kicks in, so what do I know. There's just something about a mob of slow, shuffling zombies coming your way with a silent, confident swagger. It's like they're thinking, "Go ahead, knock yourself out... run! We're still going to eat you."

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I can take both - but by choice, shambling. Running zombies makes no sense - but then zombies make no sense, so wtf?

Stumbling along though... screw MTV dynamics.

12. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Stumbling dammit!

Someone claimed that slow running zombies are often comical? Well when I watched the new DAWN OF THE DEAD with my friend, we both couldn't stop laughing at the zombie running after the main character in her car and KEEPING UP for a few seconds. Beyond ridiculous...

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Fast are scarier, but slow are classic and logical. Who's to say?
    They fucking figured out T-Rex was probably an oversize bully-buzzard, so stick with the fond memories and enjoy!
    I'd have a blast with some slow motherfuckers and any weapon though!

14. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Yeah but I bet you pissed yourself laughing when the zombie peelded away and lept on a nearby neighbour instead.

Shit that was funny.

15. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

HahAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I can't stop laughing now... that indeed WAS hilarious. :D

16. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Loved that part.

I'm 32 and loved the original films. But I've grown to accept the fast zombies and like them as much as their slower brethren. With fast zombies you don't have the sense of dread that make the older films work, but they're still good for some good scares. I just look at it as two different flavors of terror, both good.

17. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Maybe the next generation will have both?

The fast newly revived and the progressivly decaying and rigor mortis slowing zombies.

18. DarioRomero

DarioRomero Guest

Do the Shamble

Growing up watching Zombies move very slowly and creep around has made it the normal thing for me. It usually only slightly bother me when Zombies start running around but I think it really depends about how long they have been dead and their state of decomposition. If a living person has quickly been transformed into a zombie I belive in giving him a slight window of mobility until his body really starts to give way to the ravages of death. However a long dead body re-animated from the grave should by the lack on any motabolism simply shamble around.

19. shift

shift Hot as shit!

There dead!! You can't stop'em,, then start fuckin running. They'll run after you. Oh yea, love running.

20. Roo

Roo Member

I can see where a new Zombie would move faster than one that has been dead for several days. I wouldn't mind seeing both in a movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.