zompirejoe's Horror Film of the Week: Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Already Picked..

Ash28m - Sheitan (2006)
    boycrieswolf - Mark of the Devil (1970)
    BroodingHope - Hour of the Wolf (1968)
    Darga - Messiah of Evil (1973)
    DrHerbertWest - Contamination (1980)
    HAEMORRHAGE
    - The Final Terror (1983)
    Livingdead102 - The Hound Of The Baskervilles (1939)
    maybrick - The Horror of Party Beach (1964)
    x666x - The Ghoul (1933)
    Morally Sound - Bloodsuckers from Outer Space (1984)
    X-human - Spider Baby (1964)
    zompirejoe - Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)

Next up...

thrashard76 - Monday June 9th
    Enutz666
    Spitfire
    DeathDealer
    Matt89
    Kippoe
    dcrw6
    Midnight Buddha

Any participant who hasn't made their pick within 24 hours of it being your turn (unless you let us know before hand) will forfeit their turn and we will go on to the next person on the list.

Attached Files:

2. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I picked this movie off the top of my head, and it's been way to long since I've seen it. It used to scare me a lot when I was younger, and I remember it being a solid horror film. I can't wait to watch it this week. I'm interested to see what everyone's opinions are. Hopefully everyone will enjoy it.

3. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I watched this film on fearnet a couple of months ago, and I had never seen it before. It really drew me in. I dig the quiet, introspective vibe of the film, as well as some very nice ghostly imagery. I even like the WTF ending. Great flick all around.

4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I don't think I have seen this yet. Cool. Will it scare me to death? Can't wait to find out!

5. Great movie!! One of my faves!!! :)

6. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I rented this when it came out on DVD and remember being bored. I'll give this another go.

7. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

I watched this last summer after having not seen it many years. Beautiful movie and Zohra Lampert is brilliant! It's funny because when I first saw this years ago I was blown away by the ending. This time around, I was blown away again because I came away with the exact opposite interpretation.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Eh, not too impressed. I saw the ending coming about a mile away so by the end I was just checking my watch. Kind of a bare bones script, not much suspense just kinda went from exhibit A to Z. I think something like Burnt Offerings is more in line with what can be done interesting with these themes.

Mariclare Costello did a very good job considering what she was given to work with, which wasn't much. She's pretty much what kept me interested. Reminded me a little of Angela Featherstone in Dark Angel: The Ascent.

9. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Watched it for the first time yesterday, I thought it was alright. Obvious problems with low budget and some cheese, but good stuff overall.

10. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I like this movie quite a bit. It's well crafted, the atmosphere is very good, and the slow pacing adds a nice touch. Plus the cinematography is wonderful.

11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Just saw it. I found it to be rather slow, yet methodical. Despite it's age, nostalgia wouldn't have helped if I caught this when I was younger. I would have been bored with it when I was 12. Which is probably why I never gave the video box a second glance. Now that I have a more refined taste, I did enjoy various aspects of it.

I did find it to be somewhat effective in how it was shot and acted by the lead actress. There are some good qualities about the technique of the film given the story wasn't great.

I was forgiving with the High Tension ending for not making sense because the first hour was a true visual assault. This ending however, did not deliver on my patience . I was getting a ghostly kind of feeling with the Emily/lake scene. Very nice. Then I lost sense of what was happening by the end. Still, some nice scenes. Glad to finally see this.

My first pick was the Ghoul, while I did still find the dialogue amusing and plentiful, the horror aspect wasn't as good for me the second time around. I was wondering how "Jessica" held up for those who have seen this in their youth.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

The first time I saw this I was young and thought it was cheesy and silly. Of course, it was on Elvira's Movie Macabre and I was supposed to laugh at it right?

Watched it again a few years later and it clicked and I just loved it and never looked back. Watched it countless times over the years and always seem to find something new to enjoy, or another level it works on. Definitely one of my favorites and time has been really good to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008