PDA

View Full Version : Dead Hate the Living and Full Moon

jae
01-17-2001, 06:57 AM
What do you guys think of this movie and Full Moon in particular? I've only seen 3 Full Moon movies so far and don't really care for any of them that much but The Dead Hate the Living was halfway decent and funny once it got started and had some interesting ideas. Its full of references to other horror movies and directors, Fulci in particular and from what I hear, the ending is a ripoff of The Beyond.. Has anyone else seen it and what did you think?

Dave
01-17-2001, 07:36 AM
I really loved Full Moon's Subspecies "trilogy" (Part 4 was a total waste and shouldn't have been made). The stories aren't necessarily good, but the vampires look great, the effects are decent and the imagery is gorgeous (filmed in Romania). Subspecies 5 is due out this year - expect a DVD box set containing all 5.

Haven't seen Date Hate the Living, but there are a lot of Full Moon movies I enjoy. Besides Subspecies, there are a few Puppet Master movies, Witchouse 2, HorrorVision and a few others I can't think of right now. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-17-2001, 07:11 PM
I used to love Full Moon movies, but nowadays I can't say I do. The stories are just dumb. Dead Hate the Living dragged way too much for my taste. In other words, It was boring. It could've been good, but they chose the typical group murdered one by one route and it became laughable. But I think, as a viewer, the guys who made it have potential. I despised Sideshow! I won't rent their videos anymore unless they are really eyecatching, which isn't often.
I want to know what happened to movies like Trancers and Subspecies. That was the good old days!

Mark Relford
01-17-2001, 07:15 PM
The Dead Hate the Living had an opposite effect on me. It had too many references to better zombie flicks, annoying characters, and so much wasted potential.

My favorite Full Moon flicks are:

Subspecies 1&3
Puppetmaster 1&3
Trancers 1&3 (The first one wasn't made by Full Moon, but I'll include it anyway.)
Castle Freak
The Pit and the Pendulum
Dark Angel: The Ascent
Demonic Toys (guilty pleasure)
Dollman (guilty pleasure)

-----------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-18-2001).]

jae
01-17-2001, 08:15 PM
I somewhat enjoyed The Creeps but it had a few 'What were they thinking?' moments that spoiled it for me.. I haven't seen Subspecies 1-3 but have seen 4 and didn't like it much.. The sets and atmosphere were pretty good but it had this bad goth soap opera quality.. And 'Radu' doing a Godfather impression while every other word out of his mouth was either fledgeling or protege got on my nerves..

I pretty much agree with everyone on TDHTL.. It did reference better movies and that annoyed me. It came off as a sort of cheesy Scream for the euro/gore/zombie genres. What I did find cool about it was the film crew using a dead body in their movie so everyone would want to watch it and when they put on zombie makeup to get past the real zombies.. I'll have to watch it again..

[This message has been edited by jae (edited 01-17-2001).]

Mark Relford
01-17-2001, 09:28 PM
Has anyone seen Shrunken Heads? Is it worth a rental?

------------------

landrvr
01-18-2001, 02:55 AM
have you guys heard about the deal that William Shatner has going with Full Moon? sounds pretty silly....

Mark Relford
01-18-2001, 03:41 AM
landrvr, spill the beans. What deal?

------------------

jae
01-18-2001, 05:36 AM
Haven't seen Shrunken Heads and I would also like to hear about this Shatner deal.. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

OK well I watched Dead again.. It gets alot better and funnier when you're drunk.. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif I'll have to pick up the DVD.

landrvr
01-18-2001, 02:09 PM
hey lads,

check it out for yourselves at sci-fi's web site:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2001-01/17/11.10.tv

spawningblue
07-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I just picked this up used for a couple bucks, even though I haven't heard too many good things about it, I thought why not. I noticed on DVD Af. that they also list a Limited Edition DVD of it. Anyone know the differences and which version is superior?

Shannafey
07-24-2009, 03:45 AM
There's a lot of hatred out there for the Dead Hate the Living, but I really liked the film!

Erick H.
07-24-2009, 08:01 AM
THE DEAD HATE THE LIVING was sort of an homage to Lucio Fulci.Very low budget,neither the best nor worst of Full Moon's pictures.I rented most of the early titles,they ranged from fun little B movies to cheesy time wasters.At their best they were tight,fun little numbers,at worst they were absurd and pointless.Haven't seen many recent ones,I knew them from their heyday period with Paramount.

dirkwu
07-24-2009, 08:19 AM
that movie always did have a killer title

Slackjaw83
07-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I have enjoyed this one since I first saw it in 2000 or 2001. In any case, a lot of people dislike it for being too much of a "stupid fanboy" film, and other hate the obvious low budget. Personally, I find it pretty charming. I can see how one would dislike it, but I watch this one pretty regularly.

x666x
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
I am in the camp of those who did not like it. Referencing other good films just doesn't make this film good itself. For years I have been growing more annoyed at films that do this, especially when they lack the gory horror that made the referenced films so good in the first place.

For a few bucks, though, why not give it a go if you haven't seen it before.

Mok
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I am in the camp of those who did not like it. Referencing other good films just doesn't make this film good itself. For years I have been growing more annoyed at films that do this, especially when they lack the gory horror that made the referenced films so good in the first place.

For a few bucks, though, why not give it a go if you haven't seen it before.

I totally agree with you here except for the "give it a go for a few bucks" comment. Not even worth that.

Darga
07-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I didn't like it either. I appreciate the filmmakers' love for Fulci, but that doesn't excuse making a crap movie.

I've always tried to stay away from Full Moon stuff- it just looks shoddy. That said, I've been meaning to check out Subspecies for years but at the time the first one wasn't available on DVD. Looks like it is now though so maybe it's time.

Slackjaw83
07-24-2009, 06:15 PM
I dunno, as I said in a post before, it wasn't the film references that I enjoyed, it was the fact this it had somewhere around 30 minutes of build-up in which we, the audience, got to know the characters a bit. They weren't simply "nameless faces to be picked off one by one". I enjoyed that, with the exception of Marcus (who, admitedly, was a minor character with very little development) and the bitchy sister, I actually CARED when a character was killed off (which immediately made it better than half of the Friday the 13th sequels in my eyes).

Obviously, it had a pile of issues, but it was smart at points as well :

- They could afford a "zombie horde", so, instead of spreading a thin budget even thinner and doing 3 dozen REALLY bad make-up jobs (i.e blue paint and dark circles around the eyes), they went for 3 or 4 good ones (except, of course, for the sisters "skull-y face", that was crap-tastic) and played the rest as shadows, making it slightly more ominous.

- It was actually shot pretty well. My biggest gripe with low budget cinema is the fact that it's generally shot on cheap stock (or video, or, now, on cheap looking digital video) with plain, bland, "looks kinda like a home movie filmed in my garage" lighting. This flik actually utilized a nice color pallete, had some interesting set design, utilized a fair bit of fun camera moves, and involved more that a fair share of interesting (and, at least, noticable) lighting choices.

That all said, as I point out earlier, I can also see why people dislike it : Some wooden acting froma few cast members, some really unspectacular visual effects (cut-and-paste fire, the bad "electricution" bolts, etc.), and a bit too many "in-jokes" and fanboy references.

It's obviously a polarizing film (of which, I'm inevitably of the minority) that's a fact.

spawningblue
07-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Anyone know the differences between the limited edition and standard DVDs?

DVD-fanatic-9
07-25-2009, 09:37 PM
I fucking hate it with every inch of my body, heart, mind, and soul. It's not so poorly photographed as it is so poorly written, you just want everyone onscreen to die the most painfully violent death anyone's ever suffered in a movie. I still wonder to myself who do I want to see dead more, the cast of this movie or the trio of Mensa members from The Blair Witch Project...

The only good thing about it was the guy in nothing but a tiny little bikini! And even he was covered in zombie makeup.