PDA

View Full Version : The Worst of Lucio Fulci

zombi3
02-02-2003, 07:55 AM
Now Fulci was a great filmmaker when he wanted to be, but he cranked out some real stinkers in his career. I must admit I like some of his movies that have taken some criticism over the years. But which is really the worst? (I left out the ones everyone seems to like, but feel free to include them under "other" if you wish.)

DefJeff
02-02-2003, 08:17 AM
i voted Demonia, it was totally wack

itll be total blasphemy if someone votes for The Black Cat (..and Cat in the Brain, but i guess i could understand that)

Mr.Vengance
02-02-2003, 08:17 AM
There's a few on the list that I haven't seen so my opinion will obviously be limited and not definitive. Anyhow, I had to say Demonia. This film just looked damn ugly. Shots falling in and out of focus constantly, poor acting, and a poor plot all contribute to my decision. What does everyone else think?

Cujo108
02-02-2003, 08:22 AM
SWEET HOUSE OF HORRORS by far! Such a godawful disaster of a film! By the way, I love HOUSE OF CLOCKS and THE BLACK CAT.

zombi3
02-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Vengance
There's a few on the list that I haven't seen so my opinion will obviously be limited and not definitive. Anyhow, I had to say Demonia. This film just looked damn ugly. Shots falling in and out of focus constantly, poor acting, and a poor plot all contribute to my decision. What does everyone else think?

I enjoyed Demonia. Aenigma got my vote for the worst. Sweet House of Horrors is pretty bad too, but the gore scenes in the beginning bring it up a notch. Likewise, the theme song in Aenigma brings that one down a notch, along with the lack of gore and style of his earlier films. So there ya go.:)

mcchrist
02-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Manhattan Baby sucks big time, so did The Psychic.

Hellbilly
02-02-2003, 12:11 PM
I still haven't seen most of the flicks listed, but Manhattan Baby was pretty cheesy as I recall.

Shannafey
02-02-2003, 04:09 PM
I hated Demonia!!

the.wicked.one
02-02-2003, 04:22 PM
I enjoyed almost every film on that list. I even liked Demonia. I absolutely loved Black Cat and Cat in the Brain.

The one film I liked the least was Manhattan Baby.

maybrick
02-02-2003, 04:49 PM
I've only seen about 9 or 10 Fulci films so far, but out of those, the worst was Demonia. I'm sure he's made even worse films than that, I bet.

onebyone
02-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Sweet House of Horrors, hands down. I just like to pretend I never even saw it.

Joel Groce
02-04-2003, 08:07 AM
Yeah I saw the trailer to "Sweet House..." and I went - oh god no Fulci no! It just looked really bad in a bad way! "House of Clocks" looked pretty cool on the other hand(no pun intended)...

Eddie Quist
02-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Didn't he make a movie called MURDER ROCK, which is supposed to be butt-awful??

mcchrist
02-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Murder Rock was cool

hell ya!
02-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Went with Aenigma although i don't think The Black Cat is very good either.:fire:

Eddie Quist
02-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
Murder Rock was cool

Oh, I didn't see it, but maybe it's cool. :)

dvdasia62
02-06-2003, 02:51 AM
Actually, everything he did was awful with the exception of "Duckling".

STREET TRASH
02-06-2003, 04:59 AM
He did more bad films than good ones. Manhattan Baby seems to stick out in my mind as his worst.

The Chaostar
02-10-2003, 03:48 PM
I do not know why but I like Demonia. It IS bad but it has... something that I cannot define!
I like Cat In The Brain, just because Fulci plays the main character and I like Touch Of Death because it was full of nihilism and hatred for everything. And it had tons of gore.
The New Gladiators is FUN.
Voices From Beyond is a good movie - it has style, atmosphere and is well shot.
House Of Clocks is also fun and Sweet House Of Horrors is cool in a campy way.
The Black Cat is shot with proffesionalism and is in scope so there is no way I am voting for that film.
Aenigma is mediocre - poor man's PHENOMENA.

But I'll go with Manhattan Baby. :D

MapleBob
02-11-2003, 02:25 AM
I voted for Manhattan Baby because that was the weakest of the Fulci films I've seen so far, but I still liked it

I learned quick enough not to watch Italian films for logic and plot but to see a nightmare come to life, so to speak, and Manhattan Baby's incoherence actually aids it.

And in spite of the incoherence, it was beautifully shot.

I haven't seen any of the others on this list and haven't really felt the need to.

EPKJ
02-14-2003, 05:36 PM
I voted for Demonia. It is a poorly done film. While it has its moments, they are too few and can't rescue the film. Having said that, I still enjoy watching this one every now and then.

dwatts
07-01-2003, 11:13 PM
Just found this :) Have not seen all these films - but out of the ones I have, I went with Sweet House.

ArrowBeach
07-06-2003, 04:46 PM
I thought MANHATTAN BABY was cool, a true gallo classic. I just hated DEMONIA and ANEIGMA, they are too delivertive, a knock off on better movies, not a original like MANHATTAN BABY.

Ichi
07-06-2003, 06:45 PM
I think "MANHATTAN BABY" was awful. But Cat in the Brain and Black Cat kicks ass!!

zombi3
07-06-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by ArrowBeach
I thought MANHATTAN BABY was cool, a true gallo classic.

How the hell is Manhattan Baby a giallo?:confused:

indiephantom
08-28-2003, 12:48 AM
I've only seen AENIGMA from this list and I actually like quite a bit...I haven't seen a Fulci film I didn't like, but the weakest is probably DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING, which I still really enjoyed.

Vasilis
08-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Well i love fulci, but for me Aenigma is complete crap. And that cheesy song in the beginning, gets on my nerves everytime i listen to it.:glasses:

Wermode
08-31-2003, 07:02 AM
Sweet House of Horrors is pathetically sad and embarrassing to watch. I can at least sit through the others and enjoy them on some level. :eek2:

dwatts
08-31-2003, 02:30 PM
--He did more bad films than good ones.--

To my knowledge, Fulci made 52 movies. I have not seen even half of them (and some say his best is not even available on DVD) so I think we have to careful about making statements like this. Unless of course you HAVE seen most of them (if so, you lucky bastard!)

Sweet Shop was what I voted for - but really, it's a strange outing that I somewhat enjoy. Don't forget, this was a TV production, meant for prime time italian showing, not a cinema release. I can only imagine how much I would have dug it if I had seen it at the time - on late night TV. It would have blown me away!

In the context of today, sure it looks a bit strange - and other than two over-the-top sequences at the beginning, it is amazingly restrained (The flying car is hilarious). But it's Fulci, and there's nothing else that really needs saying.

H0MOSareGAY
09-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by DefJeff
i voted Demonia, it was totally wack

itll be total blasphemy if someone votes for The Black Cat (..and Cat in the Brain, but i guess i could understand that)
Yeah, me and my PEEPS though this was WACK, so w KICKED IT OFF THE HEEZEY and BOUNCED, DAWG. The HOMEBOYS say Zombie is pretty FLY

dwatts
09-01-2003, 01:47 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Derrick Howes
09-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Of the 4 I have seen on that list which are CAT IN THE BRAIN, THE BLACK CAT, ROME 2072 AD THE NEW GLADIATORS and MANHATTAN BABY, I voted for CAT IN THE BRAIN this film is just awful, shoddy at best, dire for a man who actually had alot of talent.

THE BLACK CAT is a very good film and the scope photography is superb, and hell it has David Warbeck.

ROME 2072 AD THE NEW GLADIATORS is just fast moving fun with a great cast of Italian B movie favourites.

MANHATTAN BABY again features great scope photography and the excellent Christopher Connelly stars, I admit the film is flawed and not one of his best, but the desert sequences at the beginning are vintage Fulci.

DVD-fanatic-9
06-16-2008, 09:25 PM
The New York Ripper. None of the ineptness in his more zero-budget films can compare to the utter hatefulness and inexcusable sickness of that horrible "movie."

Paff
06-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Manhattan Baby sucks big time, so did The Psychic.

Old old thread, but I gotta disagree with yout on The Psychic. I really dug that one, easily one of my favorite Fulcis now.

Hopefully you've revisited this in the last 5 years and changed your mind.

Vlachio
06-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Cat in the Brain biggest piece of turd I've ever seen. Tried watching it several times & sure shit I feel asleep. zzzzzzzZZZZZZZ :sleepy:

The Chaostar
06-17-2008, 02:07 AM
The New York Ripper. None of the ineptness in his more zero-budget films can compare to the utter hatefulness and inexcusable sickness of that horrible "movie."

You just named the movie's best qualities. :p
I don't agree with "inexcusable" though. And it's not a misogynistic film - it's a misanthropic film. I like it for the same reasons I like Sweeny Todd, come to think of it... :eek:

ReelFear
06-17-2008, 03:53 AM
not on the list, but my 2 least favorite Fulci's are

GHOSTS OF SODOM
and
DOOR TO SILENCE

both are painfully boring and show none of the qualities that make Fulci films so great.

It's me, Billy
06-17-2008, 09:10 AM

I don't agree with "inexcusable" though. And it's not a misogynistic film - it's a misanthropic film.

Exactly. The fact that the film is so brutal in its violence and because it features a sinister, intelligent, and mysterious mass murderer are probably the primary reasons why its fans like it. It's film...and it's entertainment. It isn't because we hate all women and secretly wish to see beautiful women brutally slaughtered in real life. If you're going to use that argument against fans of The New York Ripper, you've got to apply it to all horror/slasher movies as well. Do men who watch and enjoy the Friday the 13th movies secretly want to put on a hockey mask and kill a bunch of people with a machete? No, of course not.

And if NYR really was a misogynistic film, all of the women would have been portrayed as negative. I can think of at least two that were portrayed very positively. The woman at the beginning that was killed on the Staten Island Ferry was very sweet and likeable, and of course, Fay Majors, who had all of the positive qualities a young woman should have including intelligence and strength. And even the other women in the film weren't bad. Yeah, they engaged in kinky sex - so what? That doesn't by any means excuse what happened to them.

The New York Ripper is a dark, brutal, and depressing film, yes. That is the point. There really are people like that in this world and any attempt to block that sort of story from being told is censorship.

DVD-fanatic-9
06-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Fulci doesn't know how to tell a story. All he knew how to do was make an ugly, dark movie with a small degree or artfulness to it. None of Fulci's movies were about story. In my opinion, Zombie worked for awhile because the gore was decent and the pacing was methodical. Which are good traits to have if your movie has no story, and none of Fulci's movies seem to have. The Beyond worked because it had a surprising grace to it. Fulci seemed to want to make a ghost movie and did some great... I'm not a technical-term person much, but the way camera follows Liza in the movie was striking and inviting. After that, it's the music that does that trick. But all of Fulci's films are insulting to the viewer's intelligence if you think about the story. We're not talking a simple lack of logic, but a free-for-all logic which is fine if you just want to see beautiful blonde-haired women walking around. Which I've never minded, I adore Carnival of Souls.

The New York Ripper is a cheap and sleazy movie, there's no question about that. Is cheap and sleazy a bad thing? Not necessarily. I'm not putting down people liking something that is different from the norm. And I'm not bashing themes with elements of perversion in them. But what I am saying is that some filmmakers know how to film these subjects with dark humor or intelligence, without making the film completely offensive or insulting. Fulci's not one of them. A film with women being brutalized to the degree they are in this film - and the degree is an important factor in my argument, this film goes way too far and there's a reason most horror filmmakers don't go as far as this did - and in the way this film does it, is not about a story for the audience or the audience at all, it's about what the filmmakers think the victims deserve. And probably, women they had met in real life.

I'm not making a general statement about content. This is not about all horror movies or all slasher movies. This is completely specific to this movie and its' content being downright hateful and simplistic when the alleged story here is dealing with something serious - sexual violence against, and violation of, women. This is not the kind of theme to just be gory and sleazy and exploitative. There should be a message here, since the problem in reality was still real and serious at the time the film was made. But the message ends up being that the filmmakers are hateful and apathetic. I don't see how a movie this sleazy and simple-minded could have anything positive to say about this. It's just a visual exercise in feeding people shit.

I'll admit to a few things. I don't really ever want to see a movie about a killer slicing women's vaginas. I think the image is pointless, exploitative, and tasteless. And if the only excuse for it is that it's brutal, disturbing, and that it goes too far - that's not good enough. Then, I never thought Fulci was a good filmmaker. Only a few of his movies even impressed me, yet the guy worked for several decades. He should have learned something about filmmaking, he should have been able to produce more. But he didn't, so I see his talent in a less flattering light than his fan club does.

I was once talking about this with someone. That the issue was I think some movies go too far and they thought there's no such thing as going too far. Like most filmmakers believe that too. Then I pointed out that I've never seen a scene or even heard about there being any scene in a horror film where a baby, a real young baby, was brutally murdered onscreen. I'm talking slashed or eaten or ripped apart and killed. I'm pretty sure that's never actually been shown (to look) realistically in a horror movie (am I wrong?). And I always use that as proof that every horror filmmaker believes there's a line they wouldn't cross. So I don't think I'm being irrational.

Don't go reducing this to accusing me of wanting censorship. Bite your tongue. And don't suggest that I'm a hypocrite because I don't see this material as the same thing as a Friday the 13th film. There is a world of difference between the two. Low budgets and a lot of blood and gore does not make 2 films related! And to even make such an argument is ridiculously short-sighted. None of the Friday the 13th films had a scene of slicing a woman's vagina. Most slasher films are about killers killing people. They don't target sexual organs as often as you seem to think.

In the end, you know I can't say anything definitively. But I think what I'm saying is true evidence that this movie was doing something really sick for kicks. And that maybe most of the people who like this movie don't understand or care about the severity of this kind of thing in reality. Isn't it a possibility?

I guess maybe I believe this wouldn't be going too far some filmmakers. Maybe someone who can put this kind of violence against women in proper context. So that it's not manipulative and spiteful. That someone is certainly not Fulci.

The Chaostar
06-17-2008, 02:01 PM
I was once talking about this with someone. That the issue was I think some movies go too far and they thought there's no such thing as going too far. Like most filmmakers believe that too. Then I pointed out that I've never seen a scene or even heard about there being any scene in a horror film where a baby, a real young baby, was brutally murdered onscreen. I'm talking slashed or eaten or ripped apart and killed. I'm pretty sure that's never actually been shown (to look) realistically in a horror movie (am I wrong?).

Check Subconsious Cruelty. The baby is brutaly butchered at birth with a razor blade (its neck is slashed) by the mother's brother who then procedes to spray his sister with the baby's blood.

It's me, Billy
06-17-2008, 05:46 PM
DVD-fanatic-9,

If you don't like NYR and think it's shit, that's fine by me. The only reason I responded was because of your claim that the film is misogynistic. I don't agree with that and I don't agree that every man that likes NYR and films of that type are hateful of women. (Not your claim, but a lot of people who deem NYR as misogynistic seem to think so.)

...is not about a story for the audience or the audience at all, it's about what the filmmakers think the victims deserve. And probably, women they had met in real life.

If you believe that, okay. That is your opinion, but it doesn't make it a fact. As far as I know, no credible evidence has ever surfaced that proves that Fulci was a misogynist. And if he was, don't you think he would have killed off Fay Majors too and let the killer live?

I don't really ever want to see a movie about a killer slicing women's vaginas. I think the image is pointless, exploitative, and tasteless. And if the only excuse for it is that it's brutal, disturbing, and that it goes too far - that's not good enough.

Let's be honest here. Though we find out after the fact that most or all of the female victims were stabbed and/or sliced in their pubic region, only one time do we actually see the killer's weapon of choice make contact with a vagina. The second killing - inside the strip/sex club when the killer stabs a broken bottle into the woman's vagina. And to be fair, it was completely dark inside that room, so it could have been a lot more brutal had the lights been on letting you see it in full detail.

Don't go reducing this to accusing me of wanting censorship. Bite your tongue. And don't suggest that I'm a hypocrite because I don't see this material as the same thing as a Friday the 13th film. There is a world of difference between the two. Low budgets and a lot of blood and gore does not make 2 films related! And to even make such an argument is ridiculously short-sighted. None of the Friday the 13th films had a scene of slicing a woman's vagina. Most slasher films are about killers killing people. They don't target sexual organs as often as you seem to think.

Ok, I apologize. It seemed as though you wanted films of this type to vanish so no one could see them. Have you seen the 2007 movie, Teeth? If so, how do you feel about sexual violence towards men in films? I'm fine with it as I view it as "just another movie." It's the same way I feel about NYR and all other films. Films of this type are made to shock, terrify, and disturb us, but bottom line: they're made to entertain, at least a select crowd anyways. And I think it really says something that a film like Teeth can get made today whereas a film like NYR could probably never be made today, at least not the way Fulci did it.

I don't feel guilty for liking NYR as I have no reason to. I'm not a misogynist. In fact, I'm a hell of a lot more supportive and respectful towards women than your typical guy on the street.

I wonder how most women would feel about NYR? A lot of them might be grossed out, but would they think it's misogynistic or just another slasher with more gore? I showed the film to my mom (who loves horror films) a year or two ago and she wasn't bothered by it at all.

KR~!
06-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Now Fulci was a great filmmaker when he wanted to be, but he cranked out some real stinkers in his career. I must admit I like some of his movies that have taken some criticism over the years. But which is really the worst? (I left out the ones everyone seems to like, but feel free to include them under "other" if you wish.)

Most of these are not even bad!:eek2:

It's me, Billy
06-18-2008, 04:21 AM
Most of these are not even bad!:eek2:

I haven't seen most of them, but The Black Cat looks interesting.

mcchrist
06-18-2008, 04:28 AM
not on the list, but my 2 least favorite Fulci's are

GHOSTS OF SODOM
and
DOOR TO SILENCE

both are painfully boring and show none of the qualities that make Fulci films so great.

Door to Silence is one of my favorite Fulci films. Wonderfully surreal.

satans-sadists
06-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Add another vote for Demonia, though there's plenty of contenders here.

Maniac
01-29-2009, 02:19 PM
I watched The New Gladiators for the first time last night. Wow, until the last 15 minutes I thought what a piece of shit. Then, it turned into a comedic piece of shit. I could barely contain my laughter as the combatants were racing and fighting. This was probably one of the lamest movies I have seen in years. I generally like old 70's and 80's style stuff, but this was just bad.

Conal Cochran
01-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Sweet House of Horrors. Flaming marshmallows, bad children actors, there is nothing sweet in that pile of thrash.

7_RaggedTiger
03-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Sweet House of Horrors that movie was awful.

Mutilated Prey
03-03-2009, 05:34 PM
I haven't seen all of these, but I know Manhattan Baby sucked ass. Aenigma is a close second.

captain_brandon
03-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Look's like I voted for the majority, once again, as I found Manhatten Baby criminally boring and dullard. Hell, it's a mildly controversal opinion, but I honest find the late 'auteur' a pretty big hack, myself. Some of his famous gore/make-up FX set pieces he staged for some set pieces in movies like City of the Living Dead are alright, but over all, I simply NEVER got what I consider to be at best a poor man's Argento. I have a good close friend named Jennifer who lives in Kentucky with her husband Will, and I chainlink e-mail replies to her and a nice Belgian fiend of ours named Stefan as we're all gona meet up one day, and Jenn get's honestly quite pissed when I mention my strong dislike for Fulci (cause she has pics on her Photobucket of her and Will around Halloween time wearing Zombi shirts and shit on). *lol* She simply cannot understand how I love Argento and the Bava family, and yet Fulci puts me to sleep.

To each they're own ...

(Note: I would said The New York Ripper, but I actually owned Blue-Underground's re-issue of that for unintential laughs. Fuck it's funny *lmao*)

delicreep
03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I'll qualify this statement by saying that I have yet to see most of what are usually considered Fulci's worst--Aenigma, Cat in the Brain, Demonia, or his TV films. I also have yet to get my hands on Don't Torture a Duckling or Lizard in the Woman's Skin. That's my grain of salt for all of you. And now:

I think House by the Cemetery is pretty damn bad. I've seen both the older VHS version with one reel out of order, and the AB disc. While certainly bloody and gory with the best of Fulci, the rest of the film is a boring mess. And, the less I see of that blonde moppet, the better.

The ending is the best part. No, I'm not being smarmy by saying that it's the best part because it signals the end of the film, just that it's one of the few parts of the film that works for me. That the only escape for the remaining characters is to some dim limbo is both disturbing and, oddly, touching. Had the rest of the film been able to support this, House would easily rival Zombie and The Beyond as definitive Fulci horror.

Probably House might start to look better once I get around to seeing more Fulci. It's certainly better than the completely retarded Touch of Death.

indrid13
03-04-2009, 02:43 AM
The New Gladiators, watching that was like a kick in the balls.

DVD-fanatic-9
03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Come on, Cs- you know there are no good qualities. :p

I don't agree with "inexcusable" though. And it's not a misogynistic film - it's a misanthropic film.
I would buy that but I'm having just a little trouble seeing Fulci as even that ambitious a director. In his personal life, Fulci had a lot of problems with women, and then to see him - fake or not - cutting up women's vaginas and sexually humiliating them so disgustingly... Tells me he is a misogynist when he made this film.

Some people don't want to hear that and disagree. I don't care. There's no excuse for that kind of shit in any movie. Any movie. So - that's why I don't quite buy misanthropic. No fancy label excuses the level of brainless hatred toward women shown in this film. It's way, way, way, way over the line.

Coverdale
03-08-2009, 08:17 AM
I fall asleep every time I try to watch Manhattan Baby.