PDA

View Full Version : Best 50's Sci-Fi/Horror flicks??.....

KillerCannabis
02-02-2003, 09:39 PM
After playing the 50's throwback game War of the Monsters (PS2) I've been in the mood for some classic 50's sci-fi/horror flicks. You know the type: cheesy monsters, alien invasions, bad acting. I'd like it if anyone could recommend at least 5-10 not-to-miss flicks in this department. Thanks in advance.

MapleBob
02-02-2003, 11:40 PM
I would say do not miss any of these from the 1950's:

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
2. Them!
3. War of the Worlds
4. The Day the Earth Stood Still
5. the MST3K version of This Island Earth
6. Tarantula
7. When Worlds Collide

Shannafey
02-02-2003, 11:57 PM
DO NOT MISS Fiend Without A Face. Awesome film about flying brain creatures. No Lie! Loved it as a kid, and I've yet to pick up the great dvd that's out there.

Chucky P
02-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Forbidden Planet!

onebyone
02-03-2003, 03:20 AM
The Day It Came to Earth is one of my favorite crap 50s SciFi movies. I mean, this is bad. And MST rags on a great assortment of them as well; I too especially like This Island Earth.

mcchrist
02-03-2003, 04:49 AM
Yeah, definitly THIS ISLAND EARTH, but my god you will pay out of the ass for a disc right now, $100 minimum is what I've seen on ebay anymore for the Image disc!

Joel Groce
02-03-2003, 04:58 AM
one of my favorite films ever - "The Incredible Shrinking Man" - a multilayered intellectual , visually exciting film... Also, "Forbidden Planet" and "Day the Earth Stood Still" stand head and shoulders above most films. Been wanting to check out Bava's "Planet of the Vampires" as well - I know it had a huge influence on Ridley Scott and inspired "Alien". "Tarantula" is my favorite "big bug" film - though "Them" isn't far behind.

marioscido
02-03-2003, 07:01 AM
Alright KC! Someone actually started a thread in the Classic category.

I must confess that I like "It: The Terror from Beyond Space," which was also an influence on "Alien." I have a thing for 50s monster films. I think it's because of reading FMF when I was young and also because I collected monster cards.

I love "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" - what a great film!! It's my favorite one.
Also, I like "Them," "Planet of the Vampires," "The Thing" of course, "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (coming soon on dvd). I've never seen "This Island Earth" - crazy! Love those creatures though. "It Came from Outer Space" is wonderful.

"The Fly" is fun. I love that it's supposed to take place in Montréal, and that some of the characters have bad Parisian accents!
"The Monster that Challenged the World" is fun as well - that's the movie they are watching from the hill in "Motel Hell". Thanks to MGM 'Midnight Movies' for putting some of these out, and at a good price... I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting.

Not Sci-fi, but I love:
"Creature from the Black Lagoon" - I'm a big fan of Jack Arnold
"Night of the Demon" - the avatar says it all

I just remembered also, the camp classic: "I Married a Monster from Outer Space."

dwatts
02-03-2003, 09:55 AM
Either of the Quatermass films.

onebyone
02-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
Yeah, definitly THIS ISLAND EARTH, but my god you will pay out of the ass for a disc right now, $100 minimum is what I've seen on ebay anymore for the Image disc!

**Comes in, shows off her new disc she got for 19.99 on buy it now, and leaves like a brat.**

mcchrist
02-03-2003, 04:35 PM
**Comes in, shows off her new disc she got for 19.99 on buy it now, and leaves like a brat.**

:eek1:

MaxRenn
02-05-2003, 12:37 AM
I love a lot of these movies and just watched "20 million miles to earth" with some amazing Harryhausen effects. I find a lot of the 50s sci-fi movies interesting as an indication of their times - concerns about outer space, communism, scientific progress, nuclear war and nuclear power. Although these 50s monster movies have a "cheesy" reputation a few are actually deadly serious and absolute classics particularly "Them!", "The Thing From Another World" and "Invasion of the BodySnatchers". I watched the last of these three recently and it is flat out one of the scariest movies you will see. To me the fear of dehumanization is extremely frightening and the script and pacing of the film are perfect.

MaxRenn
02-05-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by dwatts
Either of the Quatermass films.

What about the third - "Quatermass and the Pit"? Ok it's from the late 60s but as an intelligent sci-fi/horror picture it's hard to beat.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
02-05-2003, 04:09 AM
The Original 1950's version of "The Thing From Another World" is just a plain classic!

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is also excellent!

And I could never make a list of 50's sci-fi without bringing up Forbidden Planet.

This is a great thread. Probably gonnna get me started on another old sci-fi binge. I went on one last year for weeks! hehe
It was great. Incredible how much old really good, and really, really bad stuff is out there.

MapleBob
02-05-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Zodiac-Mindwarp
The Original 1950's version of "The Thing From Another World" is just a plain classic!

I haven't seen this movie in a couple of years now, but last time I saw it, I was impressed with the dialogue. Its almost like an opera without music.

Hey! Someone should make an opera out of the Thing! That would be so totally awesome!

They could combine elements from both movies and have the best opera since Nabucco!

mcchrist
02-05-2003, 04:58 AM
Hey! Someone should make an opera out of the Thing! That would be so totally awesome!

The Thing's Aria, in the Cold Waste:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRGG GHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!"

:lol:

That would rule!

marioscido
02-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by MaxRenn
Although these 50s monster movies have a "cheesy" reputation a few are actually deadly serious and absolute classics particularly "Them!", "The Thing From Another World" and "Invasion of the BodySnatchers". I watched the last of these three recently and it is flat out one of the scariest movies you will see. To me the fear of dehumanization is extremely frightening and the script and pacing of the film are perfect.

Yes sir, you are right on. I recently watched "IBS" (1956) and was also blown away by it. I think you it the nail on the head with respect to your comment about "dehumanization." But watching it again this time I saw the film differently. Instead of seeing the film simply as a product of the 'red scare,' there is another layer to it, more disturbing, about how middle-class conformity is ultimately suffocating and corrosive. The 1950s were times of capitalist expansion in the U.S (thanks to WWII), which allowed many people to move into the middle-classes, but they were also times of narrowing ‘traditional’ values, which forced people to conform to a restrictive consumerist ideology. This is what the film portrays as dehumanizing. Watch it again, and look for how Siegel portrays middle-class conformity.

MaxRenn
02-05-2003, 09:27 PM
Marioscido, you're right - "Invasion..." can have a multitude of meanings and is still relevant today. The effort to coerce members of society to behave in a certain way and believe in a certain set of values will always exist.

What's always fascinated me about the film is how the pod people could actually be representing two opposing entities. They can be seen as the threat of Soviet communism and loss of individuality. Or as McCarthyists seeking to make people think/behave in a certain way. I wonder what Siegel was thinking when he made the film.

MapleBob
02-06-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by MaxRenn
I wonder what Siegel was thinking when he made the film.

Well the original novel was written by somebody named Jack Finney.

I read a long long time ago, before I ever had a chance to see the original IotBS that Finney wasn't really thinking of anything when he began the story.

He started from an idea of a couple driving along when they hit a dog and when they got out to check it out, the dog was exposed of being made of metal.

Then the story evolved along from there.

I don't remember if he disavowed the "red scare" theme but at the very least he wasn't conscously thinking of it.

I know it doesn't answer what Siegel was thinking of when he made the first movie version, but it is at least some trivia that I finally got a chance to use. Maybe it was Seigel who disavowed the "red scare" theme, because I think what I am remembering from had comments from both Finney and Seigel, but that was a long time ago.

But the image of hitting a dog and finding it was half made of metal has alwasy stuck with me, for some reason.

WhiteZomby
02-06-2003, 04:31 AM
Saw Quite A Few Of These On The Friday Night Creature Feature When I Was A Wee Young Lad...And They've Stuck With Me All These Years:

1. The Blob
2. I Married A Monster From Outer Space
3. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
4. The Colossus Of New York
5. War Of The Worlds
6. It Came From Outer Space
7. Tarantula
8. Robot Monster (HILARIOUS!!)
9. The Fly
10. Them
11. The Incredible Shrinking Man
12. Creature From The Black Lagoon

MaxRenn
02-09-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by MapleBob
Well the original novel was written by somebody named Jack Finney.

I read a long long time ago, before I ever had a chance to see the original IotBS that Finney wasn't really thinking of anything when he began the story.

He started from an idea of a couple driving along when they hit a dog and when they got out to check it out, the dog was exposed of being made of metal.

Then the story evolved along from there.

That's a fascinating story. I read the book many years ago and remember it being very good.

marioscido
02-09-2003, 07:45 AM
I just bought "War of the Worlds." Bare-bones dvd (and not that cheap either), but the visuals are quite good. I really liked it; I hadn't seen it in years. The farmhouse scene is as chilling as ever. The 50s were auspicious times for Sci/fi-creature films.

y2doublet
02-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Much of the classic sci-fi films of the 50's that's usually thought of as being allegories for the capitalist "fear of the red menace" is in many cases written or directed by people under pseudonymes that were prosecuted or persued by the McCarthy-administration.

I read that in an article in a Scandinavian film magazine called Film International and the authors was by that led to believe that in many instances the films symbolizes not so much a threat of communism, as it does a fear for the right-wing reactionary version of capitalism led by McCarthy.

Two films that I absolutely love from that era and I whole-heartedly recommend you to check out is The Day the Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet. Classic sci-fi greatness.

wago70
02-11-2003, 05:45 PM
I'm all over:
IT CONQUERED THE WORLD
INVASION OF THE SAUCERMEN
FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER
DAY THE WORLD ENDED (the ex-Showgirl is my favorite character)
TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN
BLOOD OF DRACULA
EARTH VS. THE SPIDER... I could keep going on and on!

dwatts
02-18-2003, 09:55 AM
This thread is back!

I just bought Them! and enjoyed it very much indeed.

I really want the original Blob movie too - out on Criterion, I believe.

But my addition to the thread is "Day of the Triffids". I recently bought the UK disc of this one. I'm glad I got it - nice to see this film out and about. Sadly, the transfer leaves a LOT to be desired. It kinda looks like a messed up Diamond disc. Still - better than nothing while we wait for a good copy to come along.

Triffids - man eating plants from space.... cool!

Chucky P
02-19-2003, 04:47 AM
I love Day of the Triffids! I would buy that on dvd in a minute!

Donuthole75
02-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Don't forget Brain From lanet Arous!!!!!! and yes, Mystery Science Theatre 3000 is a GREAT source for these 50's monster movies!

MGM MIdnite Movies is putting alot of these great ones out there-

Planet Of The Vampires
It! The Terror From Outer Space
Angry Red Planet
Reptilicus

and more.....

dougi
05-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Incredible Shrinking Man is a classic
Hope it get's onto DVD soon

dwatts
05-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Buy "The Crawling Eye" - classic.

blackout806
06-16-2004, 05:37 PM
It - the terror from outerspace is great if you overlook the obvious mistake they made by having gravity in the spaceship (it was 1957 so they were too stupid to know better)

Kevin
06-18-2004, 08:23 PM
War of the Worlds, I consider to be the best of the 50's. I always found the film interesting ever since I saw as a little child. However, since I love movies that feature big monsters too, Tarantula comes close.

KR~!
05-20-2005, 12:16 AM
I have been on a classic Sci-Fi Horror kick as of late and was going to start a new thread, but I might as well just use this one. I found this very funny site from these films, all the review are must reads:

http://www.geocities.com/rpapalia2/

Criswell
05-20-2005, 04:30 AM
Two obscure gems............ The Giant Claw and Reptilicus......

Camp classics.

RyanPC
05-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Plan 9 From Outer Space :D

KR~!
05-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Two obscure gems............ The Giant Claw and Reptilicus......

Camp classics.

I wish the Gaint Claw was on DVD. That's the biggest and most powerful gaint monster ever. Reptilicus I remember has a bad spitting habit, he thinks he's a baseball player or something yet he's British, it's crazy.

Here is my list:

Fiend without a Face

Killer brains attack and go splat! It actually got a freaking Criterion release! Everything about this movie is way better than it has any right to be, a must see. The special effects are actually really good as is everything else.

The Crawling Eye

Big ass eyes with legs like spiders attack! The monsters here are both so silly yet so cool looking, teh acting and special effects are so bad that you can't help but love this film!

It! The Terror from Beyond Space

The movie Alien was based on this film, so much so that it's damn near a remake! An alien vampire goes on a rampage on a space ship, thankfully these guys thought ahead and made sure they brought a rocket launcher!

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Pod people, you know the rest. Better than all the remakes.

The War of the Worlds

A new SE DVD of this classic will be released soon!

This Island Earth

This needs to be on a better non oop DVD.

She Creature

One of the coolest monster designs, this needs to be on DVD.

The Hideous Sun Demon

If the Creature from the Black Lagoon and the Wolfman got it on, they would look like this thingy.

I was a Teenage Frankenstein

Amazing he looks more like the book version is suppose to look like than any other film version. This needs to be on DVD!

The Blob

It's a blob and it's better than that remake.

Forbidden Planet

Shakespeare's The Tempest... in Space!

Them!

Remember when Amercians ruled the market on Gaint Monster movies? Those were the days, and this is one of the very best.

Invaders from Mars

No one belived him...

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms

What that 1st Godzilla was based on. It was remade as that amercian godzilla movie in some cases scene by scene. Anyway, this one is way better. Effects are by Ray Harryhausen!

20 Million Miles to Earth

Another Ray Harryhausen classic. Ymir rules!

Curse of the Demon

More of a Horror film, and not cheesy at all. The demon here is one of the best designs ever, but maybe inappropriate for this move.

The Brain From Planet Arous

Flying brains with glowing eyes with mental control powers. Terrible effects and an axe attack.

There's more but that's enough for now.

fceurich39
05-21-2005, 12:40 AM
the thing is my favorite

Rockmjd
05-21-2005, 01:29 AM
. Reptilicus I remember has a bad spitting habit, he thinks he's a baseball player or something yet he's British, it's crazy.

Tisk Tisk. Surely you know that Reptilicus was Danish, and it's Gorgo that is British ;)

KR~!
05-21-2005, 02:00 AM
Tisk Tisk. Surely you know that Reptilicus was Danish, and it's Gorgo that is British ;)

Oh yes that's right. They also made Journey to the Seventh Planet. I got my monsters confused there.

Severn
05-23-2005, 09:48 PM
What about the third - "Quatermass and the Pit"? Ok it's from the late 60s but as an intelligent sci-fi/horror picture it's hard to beat.

Love it when other's talk good aboot Prof. Quatermass!

dwatts
06-23-2005, 04:25 AM
**Bump**

It's hot as hell in central Europe right now, so I've been treating myself to some films with artic themes. Tonight it was "The Thing from Another World".

Oh, I've watched the DVD many times, but a rerun was definately due. Strange how you see new things each time though, isn't it? The lead female in this one - is she a bit of a stiff or what? Probably the weakest performance.

As a film though, it's terrific. I love every minute of this one, and look forward to another viewing!

Next up on my artic wish list is "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms", which is pretty darn good.

mr9mm
06-23-2005, 04:46 AM
hey there guys...need help looking for an old 50's horror/sci fi..... i remember it had a bunch of flying braons in it.....and the were people in some type of small houseand the brains had spinal cords....i was very young when i saw it....would love to find it again.
any help would be great.
thanx

dwatts
06-23-2005, 04:57 AM
Fiend Without a Face.

Criterion has the best release by far, but you can get a cheapo version in R2.

Erick H.
06-23-2005, 07:09 AM
THEM !,THE THING and INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS are among the best in the genre.For foreign language buffs I would also throw out the original Japanese cut of GODZILLA,titled GOJIRA.It is much better than the altered U.S. cut and is surprisingly dark.IT !-THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE is an influential cheapy as well,fun ,pacey film .

KillerCannabis
07-04-2005, 10:50 PM
I just watched The Day The Earth Stood Still last week. Wow, what an amazing film that is. Awesome. I also recently purchased (but havent received in the mail yet) The Brain From Planet Arous and It Came From Outer Space. Planning to get The Blob, Fiend w/o a Face and Them! very soon.

dwatts
07-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Don't forget to grab the excellent "I Married a Monster from Outer Space" - I think you'll enjoy it, it should be easy to get and cheap.

MaxRenn
07-05-2005, 11:08 PM
For those who get the channel, Turner Classic Movies is showing a new documentary tonight (Tuesday) on the 50s sci-fi movies. It's on at 8pm ET (and again at 10:30), is called "Watch the Skies" and has contributions from Spielberg, Lucas and others. They are also showing some of the movies discussed.

KR~!
07-05-2005, 11:28 PM
For those who get the channel, Turner Classic Movies is showing a new documentary tonight (Tuesday) on the 50s sci-fi movies. It's on at 8pm ET (and again at 10:30), is called "Watch the Skies" and has contributions from Spielberg, Lucas and others. They are also showing some of the movies discussed.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! :banana: