PDA

View Full Version : Remake Of The Eye News

DeathDealer
02-10-2003, 11:59 PM
From Comingsoon.net

Variety reports that Paramount Pictures is in talks with scripter Massy Tadjedin to pen The Eye, a remake of the hit Asian horror-thriller. The studio acquired the remake rights last year for Paramount-based Cruise/Wagner to produce.

The story concerns a blind woman who undergoes a corneal transplant that restores her sight but also allows her to see unearthly things.

Tadjedin and brother Amir Tadjedin penned Leopold Bloom, a Joseph Fiennes-Elizabeth Shue starrer. She's also rewritten thriller The Jacket for Mandalay Pictures.

Man, This is BullShit. Can't they leave Japanese films alone. They already fucked up Ringu, why do it again.

mcchrist
02-11-2003, 01:18 AM
Man, This is BullShit. Can't they leave Japanese films alone. They already fucked up Ringu, why do it again.

Whatever, The Ring was excellent... Far superior to the original IMO.

dvdasia62
02-11-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by mcchrist
Whatever, The Ring was excellent... Far superior to the original IMO.

Absolutely! "The Ring" blew the doors off of Nakata's original but it is going to be hard to surpass the Pang Brothers near-masterpiece!

mcchrist
02-11-2003, 03:08 AM
Absolutely! "The Ring" blew the doors off of Nakata's original but it is going to be hard to surpass the Pang Brothers near-masterpiece!

That remains to be seen, (heck I haven't even seen the original Eye yet), but we'll see all the same.

aoiookami
02-11-2003, 04:54 AM
I agree, the Ring remake rocked. If the Eye remake turns out to be as good I'll welcome it. (and the original Eye is one of my all time fav horror movies.)

KillerCannabis
02-11-2003, 08:27 AM
Although I'm always leery of remakes, so far the US is 1/1 in my book. I loved the remake of Ring, so I'll welcome this just as I'll welcome the original once I finally get around to ordering a copy on disc.

dlundh
02-11-2003, 08:34 AM
The korean remake of Ring was worthwhile anyway, the american is opening in cinemas here in sweden next weekend.

If it comes anywhere near the original I'll be happy.

But really, why can't the US make original horror movies instead of copycating the latest thing from somewhere else?

The US horrormovie is not only in decline imo, it's stone dead.

mcchrist
02-11-2003, 09:28 AM
But really, why can't the US make original horror movies instead of copycating the latest thing from somewhere else?

The US horrormovie is not only in decline imo, it's stone dead.

Look, movies get remade all the time, in fact they've been remade all the time since the very beginning... (Two that stand out right now are The Student of Prague, 1913 and one a few years later if I recall, 1922?) A remake is not always a bad thing, and the US isn't always responsible for them. Its like music, nobody ever rags on a cover song when they hear it, although it has been remade, people seem to stand up and cheer! But when it comes to motion pictures people automatically get into poo poo mode. Not all remakes are good, but certainly not all remakes are bad either. However the point is valid that the studios have a tight grip on movie chains these days, and pander to every whim of the MPAA. It wasn't even this bad 15 years ago, what the hell happened? I can't stand the fucker, really, but Lloyd Kaufman wrote an article that is fairly enlightening on the subject and should be considered:

http://www.troma.com/lk2/chains/index.php3

Its a little out of date, but the points are the same! There definitly should be lessened grip between movie chains and studios IMO.

ScarredGod
02-16-2003, 09:18 PM
time for my 2 cents, the american remake was CRAP, even for the $1 i paid to see it at the cheap place. i thought the trailer looked cool and i was looking forward to seeing it, went in with an open mind, but was vastly disappointed. it had a few cheap "scares" but definately was not a creepy film like the original. the way it was dummified for american audiences was insulting, the scene with the ladder is a prime example, if you couldnt recognize the ladder from the video i guess youre a moron, but just in case it will flash back to the video to show a ladder, gee thanks for the help. the videotape at the end with the big COPY sticker on it just in case you fell asleep and couldnt comprehend what happened. it was "the ring... for dummies". the TV scene was very poorly done and unrealistic, very anticlimactic, further evidenced by no one in the theatre being surprised by it, i saw countless people jump and being surprised by the original. i think i remember one more thing, i hope i remember incorrectly, but didnt naomi watts get accidently knocked down the well? if i remember correctly and that happened then that is STUPID, great place for a three stooges moment i guess.

they took a pretty cool film and turned it into a typical subpar american horror flick dummified for audiences.

IMHO

Atmims
02-17-2003, 12:38 AM
I definetly think the Original is better, It doesn't do any good saying this over and over but to me the Remake had too much physical crap happening that made it hard to get into. and other scenes seemed Suped-Up to make them "exciting" or whatever like:When Sadako is coming out of the TV at the end it quickly cuts to Naomi Watts racing to the scene.. Still an okay movie but no wheere near as great as the original IMHO.
Adrian

mystro
02-17-2003, 01:56 AM
Original is much better for me as well.
Atmosphere was spine-tingling rather than relying on sudden sounds or special CGI effects. Remake of The Ring was perhaps "sped-up" for mainstream audiences.

The Chaostar
02-18-2003, 04:10 PM
The remake was good.
But the original was really creepy while the remake was just... spooky!:evil:

Fart Lighter
02-23-2003, 04:50 AM
Look, movies get remade all the time,

Maybe, but as a whole, it's usually at least 20 years before a remake surfaces.

The point with the current trend of remaking foreign films is that it's just another way for Hollywood to dominate every inch of the industry; Buy the original and prevent it's release while releasing your own rehash and claiming the credit for the 'new' film. It's a sickening practice (irregardless of whether the remakes are any good or not), and a sign of just how low major studios are these days. Along with Disney/Miramax's sanitisation and re-editing of eastern films, this is dreadful. There's a big enough audience out there-Let the original foreign films out, and spend money on making new good films instead!:mad:

Werner Von Wallenrod
03-03-2003, 10:11 PM
It's not like there aren't heaps of talented writers trying to sell great, original scripts to the studios here in the US.

DeathDealer
03-25-2003, 03:04 AM
Whatever, The Ring was excellent...

Spoken like a True Girl.