PDA

View Full Version : Freaks

Shannafey
02-14-2003, 05:09 AM
Have any of you ever seen this 1932 classic? I finally saw it for the first time tonight. My Blockbuster had a copy, and I went for it. I don't know what to say. I found it very intriguing and engrossing. I couldn't look away. So, I guess it's a good film in that respect. I understand the ending makes most consider it a horror film, but frankly when I read things about it being very scary, I knew to take it with a grain of salt. Older films just don't scare me or give me that sense of dread. Not a lot of newer ones do either. The last one that gave me the creeps was The Others. All in all, though I really enjoyed the film. It was so interesting. What do you all think about it?

mutleyhyde
02-14-2003, 06:30 AM
I love Freaks. Dammit.

(^^ Angst derives from the fact that Freaks is not out on DVD :fuck: )

mcchrist
02-14-2003, 09:17 AM
"one of us! one of us!"

This is one of the greats in classic horror... And its so damn rewatchable too!

gusse
02-14-2003, 09:24 AM
I love this movie, how come it's not out on DVD yet? Very facinating movie, and if you are into The Ramones it's even cooler.

:banana: "Gobble Gobble One Of Us!" :banana:

John
02-14-2003, 12:39 PM
This flick is very cool. I remember watching it on a Sunday evening about 2 years ago. Odd little flick that held up well over time.

Shannafey
02-14-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
This is one of the greats in classic horror... And its so damn rewatchable too!

It is, and I don't know why. Maybe, just because it's so fascinating!! Like I said, I liked it, I just don't really see it as a horror film. More of a weird drama.

marioscido
02-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Great, great film!!

The Chaostar
02-19-2003, 07:59 PM
See it once and it will stay with you forever. How many films do that to you?

Dorian Gray
02-28-2003, 06:43 PM
A masterpiece! One of my all-time favorites!
I think Warner owns the video rights... Why don't they release it on DVD?

mutleyhyde
02-28-2003, 06:49 PM
If Warner does in fact have the rights, we may be in for a long wait. They don't seem to hold the classics in very high regard. It was hailed as a miracle when we got Horror of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, and even The Thin Man last year.

And welcome to the forum Dorian!

Numania
03-05-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by The Chaostar
See it once and it will stay with you forever. How many films do that to you?

On the same line, how about Even Dwarfs [sic] Started Small?

I only wish that I had some drugs when I watched that movie.

The Monster
03-05-2003, 11:21 PM
What a way to debut here at the forums...Freaks (1932) is my favourite movie OF ALL TIME! First off; if you are interested more on the film and it's director; Tod Browning; the book is OOP (Sadly) but you can find it on eBay...The name of the book is 'Dark Carnival'; I suggest you all check it out. Also; I own Video-Screams DVD-R's of Freaks and The Show...For those of you who don't know; THE SHOW is a silent film Browning directed about a sideshow; nowhere on the level of Freaks; but it is nice to own if you are a fan of the film. Also; sorry to keep plugging items ;); but over at Satan's Sideshow; I picked up a really cool Shlitzie (The Pinhead; who was really a man!) wrist-watch.

Anyways; def. the; imo; greatest film of all time; and about the whole re-watchability thing; I should know; I have watched it 12 times since Jan. 1; and over 200+ times since first seeing it 7 or 8 years ago.

If you haven't seen it; see it...now...this film does not deserve to be 'bastard-ized' by Warner and Company; like they did with Horror of Dracula; edited and an incorrect aspect ratio; this film deserves Criterion Collection status.

My favourite out of the lot of the 'Freaks' was Shlitzie; sh...er; he was so adorable. :nervous:

If you get TLC (The Learning Channel) please try to check your local listings for a special that airs semi-regularly; called 'Sideshow' it is a facsinating look at the carnival sideshow's history.

That's all for now...

...Regards,

-The Monster
*They want to make you one of them...MY PEACOCK! ;)*

Dorian Gray
03-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
If Warner does in fact have the rights, we may be in for a long wait. They don't seem to hold the classics in very high regard. It was hailed as a miracle when we got Horror of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, and even The Thin Man last year.
Yeah you're right... :(
And I heard they own a pretty big list of classics desperately waiting for a DVD release...
They even have The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) !!! ;) :(

Originally posted by mutleyhyde
And welcome to the forum Dorian!
Thanks! :)

newyorkripper
03-27-2003, 03:40 AM
Great movie! Tod Browning put his career on the line for this movie. My favorite actor was the Human Torso (I think that's what he was called). If you haven't already, you should read the short story it is based on. It has a different ending that is disturbing in its' own right.

What is that Herzog film "Even Dwarfs Started Small" about? I've heard the name but have never checked it out.

MaxRenn
03-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Dorian Gray

They even have The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) !!! ;) :(

I watched this movie recently on TCM - absolutely fantastic. Horrific, haunting and very witty. And very clever use of color to maximize impact of some scenes.

steve
03-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Freaks is in my top 10 favorite movies. Way ahead of its time and it still has the ablility to shock after all these years. There was a planned release for the DVD for later this year but it has since been cancelled. Amazon.com is still taking pre-orders for it with no date set.

RyanPC
04-21-2003, 10:27 PM
I found Freaks to be a very disturbing movie. But it was also hilarious, which I am sure was intentional. It was just a great film, have not forgotten about it since.

If it was released on DVD, I think I would definitely buy it! :D

Grim
04-22-2003, 02:14 AM
I read about this in my "Cult Flicks and Trash Picks" book and it showed a screenshot, those people scared the shit outta me.