PDA

View Full Version : Finally, some great classics hit the UK!

Evil Disco Guy
02-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Hopefully it isn't old news but it seems the UK is finally going to get some great classics on DVD.
Taken from R2-DVD.org
DD Video have announced the first two titles for release in their "Hammer Film" collection. Due for release March 17th are "The Quatermass Xperiment" and its sequel "Quatermass II". Both are priced at S15.99. "The Quatermass Xperiment" is the original uncut British theatrical print of this acclaimed movie. The special edition DVD includes an interview with director Val Guest and audio commentaries, " Quatermass II " DVD also includes an interview with director Val Guest, audio commentaries. Both disks feature a documentary on Hammer SF and a 24 page guide book.

[...]

THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT and QUATERMASS II will be available in all good retailers from Monday 17th March priced S12.99 each on video or S15.99 on DVD, or direct from DD Video, Unit 1, Pool Bank Business Park, High Street, Tarvin, Chester CH3 8JH. Please add S1.80 for one title or S2.75 for both towards postage and packing. Credit card customers can also order copies by ringing the 24 hour DD Video hotline on 01829 741490.

Also on the same site is more good news.
Taken from R2-DVD.org
DD video have also let us know that four more Hammer horror films will be released over the next few months by them. These will be - "X THE UNKNOWN" and THE "ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN" in April, followed by "FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL" and "CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER" in May.
And just a little bit more:
Taken from R2-DVD.org
Clear Vision have announced the 1979 four-part Quatermass TV series for release April 7th. The Quatermass Box Set (Chapters 1 to 4 plus "The Quatermass Conclusion") will retail for 34.99. Essentially this is the 4 part TV series plus the movie verion that was cut together and called "The Quatermass Conclusion". The Three DVD set comes complete with a History of Quatermass booklet, reviewing the BBC and Hammer versions of Quatermass, the different actors to play Quatermass, biographies of writer and creator Nigel Kneale and actor John Mills, plus Quatermass memorabilia. DVD extras include a previously unseen Sci-Fi channel interview with Nigel Kneale, production notes and episode information.

Let us pray these releases are as good as they should be!

mutleyhyde
02-15-2003, 08:40 AM
It's a Quatermass extraveganza!! You UK bastards! ;)

That's cool you're getting the first installments in the series, and the TV show?? AWESOME!! I can only hope that gets an R1 release. I'm sure we'll get THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT down the road at some point, but I'm not so sure about the TV show. That would be so cool!

mcchrist
02-15-2003, 09:21 AM
Oooh!

You lucky bastards indeed!

:mad:

dwatts
02-15-2003, 11:06 AM
But.... I bought Qautermass 2 and Quatermass and the Pit (left Abominable Snowman on the shelf) just last week (in the UK, I might add)! These discs, with their extras - look like straight copies of the US discs. Mind you - the US discs came with postcards of the original theatrical art - not a 24 page booklet. other than that - they seem the same..... Sounds to me as though the Uk is just catching up with the US, where the discs can be bought. Anchor Bay put them all out.

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell and Kronos were also on the shelf. They were imports from Spain, though.

mutleyhyde
02-16-2003, 02:19 AM
But we still don't have Xperiment. :( That's what sucks. And I'm pretty sure the chances are slim we'll get the TV show. :( :(

dwatts
02-16-2003, 10:33 AM
I saw a whole bunch of Hammer films - Rasputin, The Reptile etc. If you keep your eyes out - you can buy them in the UK. I did not see Xperiment, that is true. However, most of the films mentioned in this thread are available, as I have bought them.

Last night I treated myself to Fiend Without a Face - great flick!

Fart Lighter
02-16-2003, 02:00 PM
"FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL" and "CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER" are owned by Paramount. I'm confused by this as I've never yet seen Paramount licence out any of thier films.

Never heard of DD Video before!

dwatts
02-16-2003, 02:53 PM
I saw the boxes - they were from Spain. I'm sorry, but I did not write down the details. I had already spent enough money that day :)