PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy Hollow LD for a reasonable price

Dave
02-19-2003, 01:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3312299411&category=381#BID1

Pretty decent price. Only 9 left.

I'm trying to acquire the last few laserdiscs ever released in both the US and in Japan. I'd like to get some of those record frames and put the jackets into them. Someday when I have a movie room in my future house, I want to have them hanging up as an homage to laserdisc.

Sleepy Hollow is tied with Bringing Out The Dead for last domestic laserdisc ever released.

mcchrist
02-19-2003, 02:48 AM
I've seen a bunch of thse around, I'll definitly keep an eye out.

Sam
02-19-2003, 09:08 AM
Has anyone seen End of Days on LD? I'm interested in owning in. It was released in late 99/early 00 so I would think it was on the last stretch as well.

Dave
02-19-2003, 04:01 PM
I've seen the End of Days LD. Does that go for a lot on ebay too? It's interesting. These last LD releases are becoming rather rare, yet when people on alt.video.laserdisc were screaming for others to pre-order lasers so they could continue to get pressed, no one did. Of course, Image and Pioneer are largely responsible for that. Some people did just switch from DVD to LD. Others would decide on a case by case basis. And then there were the dwindling few who would only buy LD. Image and Pioneer didn't do anything to make lasers attractive to people who would buy DVD or LD. Towards the end they would never put any of the DVD supplements on an LD, even though they had the rights to do so. Now I can understand not including a documentary that would cause it to go from a 1 disc release to a 2 disc release, but there's no reason for not including a commentary track on the LD. The space is there - USE IT! And Pioneer not putting Dolby Digital tracks on the final Paramount releases - pure stupidity. What the hell were they thinking?

Had Dolby Digital been kept for Paramount, and had they maxed out the LD with the DVD supplements, I think LD could have lasted a while longer. Not that any of this matters now, but it's still interesting to talk about.

Some lasers that were cancelled due to lack of pre-orders: MI:2 (on Japanese LD - with Dolby 5.1), The Talented Mr. Ripley, U-571, and at least a dozen others that were announced but cancelled due to lack of preorders. Some were released in Japan, however.

Paff
02-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Anyone remember those little "Image Announcements" you got at the video store?? It was a magazine with the upcoming releases on LD, then eventually LD and DVD.
Reason I ask is that I found one while doing some cleaning this past weekend. It was from September of 1998. What made it interesting is that it had the listings of the upcoming releases of the Alien movies, all on DTS LD. Too bad that never materialized.

I also saw that they had Phantasm Oblivion on LD. I gotta get that, if only to have all four movies on the same format. And I'm betting the reason I kept that issue is the announcement of Phenomena, Tenebrae, and Demons 1&2 on LD.

As far as "last gasp" LDs, I own copies of The Matrix and The Blair Witch Project. A friend of mine who held out even longer than I did before going DVD has the South Park movie and American Pie.

Dave
02-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I remember those Alien DTS annoucements. I also remember 2001: DTS LD announcement. Many DTS lasers were announced and subsequently delayed or cancelled. This happened even prior to DVD's deathblow. DTS LD was a niche or a niche. Image was always waiting to get enough preorders. We're lucky we got as many as we did.

South Park LD - prime example of no extras and no Dolby 5.1 sound.

American Pie - again, no extras. At least it was the unrated version with Dolby 5.1, however.

I bought Matrix LD used, but sold it for ~$60 on ebay (much less than the going rate back then, but this had a banged up jacket). That's still valuable, isn't it? Mainly claim the Dolby 5.1 is much better on the LD, even moreso than normal since Warner was using low bitrate Dolby on the DVD. That has all the extras too. Truely one of the last great laserdisc releases.

I just got BWP LD in a package deal (with that Aliens THX theatrical LD). Haven't watched it yet, but it's nice to have the LD with all the DVD extras. Plus it was only $4.00.

Paff
02-19-2003, 07:54 PM
South Park LD - prime example of no extras and no Dolby 5.1 sound.

I didn't know that LD wasn't 5.1. It's a Paramount title, just like Sleepy Hollow though, so it wouldn't surprise me. The DVD isn't exactly loaded with extras either however...

I bought Matrix LD used, but sold it for ~$60 on ebay (much less than the going rate back then, but this had a banged up jacket). That's still valuable, isn't it? Mainly claim the Dolby 5.1 is much better on the LD, even moreso than normal since Warner was using low bitrate Dolby on the DVD. That has all the extras too. Truely one of the last great laserdisc releases.

I don't think ALL the DVD extras are there, but most of them are. And I might be wrong, but I think the trailer is on the LD, but not the DVD. I have both versions, I'll have to compare sometime. I don't know if the LD sounds better, but I heard it was, and when I got a chance to buy it cheap, I jumped on it. I'd rather own it and find out it doesn't sound better, than risk NOT buying it and finding out it DOES.

I just got BWP LD in a package deal (with that Aliens THX theatrical LD). Haven't watched it yet, but it's nice to have the LD with all the DVD extras. Plus it was only $4.00.

Hehehe, when Ken Cranes did there absolute final last chance we really mean it this time LD sale, they had BWP LDs for $1.99.

One thing about a lot of these final Lasers, if the format looked that good the whole time, it may have never died. (I have older LDs that aren't much better than VHS). Saving Private Ryan looks absolutely incredible on LD. The only thing DVD has going for it over the final LDs is Anamorphic Enhancement and no side changes....

Agent Z
02-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Let's see....the most recent laserdisc that I have is DEEP BLUE SEA......and, while it's missing most of the dvd extras, the audio/video quality is pretty nice.......

Dave
02-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Yup, Deep Blue was one of the final ones from Image/Warner. I would have purchased it if it had the extras. I'll give Image credit for always putting on DD5.1 sound, though.

I really was following this all towards the end. I used my contacts at Image and Pioneer to figure out what the hell they were thinking. It boiled down to them just not caring, wanting to put 0 effort into LD releases now that DVD was the bulk of their income, and simply waiting (and rushing) for the eventual death of laserdisc. :cry: