PDA

View Full Version : Eraserhead

Starving Skinny Puppy
01-21-2001, 10:13 AM
Would anyone have any possible information regarding a DVD release of David Lynch's Eraserhead?
A showing of the complete, intact 120 minute print would be nice to see
A commentary with Lynch would be great, tragedy we lost Jack Nance in 1996, it would be good to hear a commentary with him aswell.

------------------
ViVi-Sect-VI

[This message has been edited by Starving Skinny Puppy (edited 01-21-2001).]

napalm68
01-21-2001, 10:32 AM
There is a DVD available R2 UK now.

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

Mark Relford
01-21-2001, 07:44 PM
SSP, I would love to see Eraserhead on DVD! Didn't know there was a 120 min. cut in circulation.
There was a rumor floating around that Criterion expressed some interest in it.
BTW, Lynch doesn't care to be involved in commentaries. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Starving Skinny Puppy
01-22-2001, 02:05 AM
When Lynch first released 'Eraserhead' theatrically in 1977 the first print was 120 minutes long, after getting alot of the same reaction of the film being too tedious and long Lynch was forced to make some cuts, so he cut 30 minutes out of the film to make it more acceptable and enjoyable amongst the crowds.
I'm assuming this infamous 120 print is not in circulation because I've been searching for it for quite a while now, no bootleeger I know has a copy of it so I'm stuck with my 90 minute copy.
Lynch only showed this 120 min. print a couple times in the theatre so I'm assuming these lost 30 minutes are in his basement, rotting away being kept from the public eye.
oh well, maybe this print will prevail in time.

Also, Napalm69, would you happen to know if any extras are included on the exsisting DVD?
------------------
ViVi-Sect-VI

[This message has been edited by Starving Skinny Puppy (edited 01-21-2001).]

napalm68
01-22-2001, 03:58 AM
A lynch biography, filmography and a trailer. Ie, nothing...

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

Lindane
01-22-2001, 07:50 AM
Ive got the region 2 Eraserhead. Its pretty good, cant remember how long it is though. Cant read the Japanese.

ZugZug
01-23-2001, 01:39 PM
I don't know if it is true, but I read on a David Lynch fan site that Lynch himself has made the digital transfer for Eraserhead and just needs to find someone to distribute it.

I'm not positive, but I am pretty sure those cuts made by Lynch to bring it down to an hour and a half were not ones he HAD to make, but ones he WANTED to make. This was completely his movie afterall with no studio backing at all, so he was able to do what he wanted. Since the cuts were made because that is what Lynch wanted, they will never be seen by anybody if Lynch has any say in it.

Starving Skinny Puppy
01-24-2001, 06:38 AM
Yes, I realize he wasn't under any studio's jurisdiction, Once again I came off giving off the wrong impression.
Perhaps I should read over my posts a bit more carefully next time I post something.

------------------
ViVi-Sect-VI

napalm68
01-24-2001, 01:20 PM
not sure if i saw the question here or on the newsgroups, but the japanese eraserhead dvd is only 89 minutes - Im in japan hence the crappy writing style... jap laptop - keyboard sucjks

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!