PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the new Metropolis Restored Ed.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2003, 06:46 AM
Has anyone seen this yet? Just wanted to know how it is.

mutleyhyde
02-22-2003, 09:05 AM
It's in the mail. Dammit. ;)

mcchrist
02-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Its in my radar, that's for damn sure.

dackel
02-22-2003, 09:34 AM
It looks pretty damn terrific....but in some scenes (when people run/dance/generally move fast) you really notice the 24fps instead of what should have been 20fps. However other than that....it's definitely a great disc.

Damed
02-27-2003, 03:58 AM
It is fantastic. I picked it up last night. I really wish that they had found the original print (154 min)

Apparently the original film in its entirety has been lost since 1927

mutleyhyde
02-28-2003, 05:59 PM
I just watched it this morning! Great movie! Many expressionist German silents can be somewhat disjointed in their linear structure, but not Metropolis! For the most part, it sticks close to a definite storyline, and it moves along amazingly well (yes, this is the first time I've ever seen it).

As for the transfer, it looks teriffic! There are a few really active shots, where a lot of visuals are happening at once (like explosions and smoke, thrashing mobs of people, etc.) where a bunch of grain pops out seemingly of nowhere. But other than these few spots, the transfer looks damn clean with fine contrast.

On first listen, I found the music very well matched to the film, but it didn't exactly wow me. I think maybe I was just too into the film to really take critical notice of the score; I'll do that next time. It was very clear and sounded good though, which it should, being a new recording.

I'm friggin' stoked! I've wanted to watch this film for over 20 years, never got around to it on VHS (thankfully!), and now I finally have. Scratch one backburner desire off the list. Next up; The Day the Earth Stood Still. :D

Fritz Lang rules. I've got and have watched with great pleasure M, Destiny, Dr. Mabuse der Spieler, and now Metropolis. I highly recommend them all to any fan film, except maybe Destiny. Destiny is great, but it's a bit disjointed and has some dry spots; better suited for the previously initiated Fritz viewer, I think.

The Monster
03-06-2003, 03:00 PM
Beautiful Transfer; Stunning :)

mutleyhyde
03-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by The Monster
Beautiful Transfer; Stunning :)
It really is. I've watched it twice now, and will soon be watching it with the commentary.

Watching Metropolis has also promted me to finally read this biography I've had on Lang for a while now, The Nature of the Beast. Pretty wild stuff; he was a multi-decorated lieutenant in the Austrian military in WWI and was a horndog bigtime.

I also have just ordered Lang's Die Nibelungen. http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

And welcome to the forum Monster - nothing against the slasher fans and gore hounds, but it's always nice to see more vintage horror lovers in here. :)

marioscido
03-09-2003, 03:37 PM
I'm dying to see it. I'll wait for it to come around to our screens before I purchase the Kino disc.

MaxRenn
05-06-2003, 06:57 PM
I just caught the restored version on Turner Classic Movies last night. Absolutely magnificent. For anyone who wants to see it, they will be showing it again on 05/18/2003 at 12:00 AM

Lone Wolf
05-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I finally got around to watching this, and all I can say is wow! I will have to check out some more of Lang's movies.

jsz1002
05-15-2003, 06:03 AM
The disc is great..almost criterion-great. Definitely worth the price.