PDA

View Full Version : $2 shipping at Big E's

Paff
02-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Time for another Big Emma sale. This time, if you buy $40 worth of stuff, you get Priority Mail shipping for $2.

You might have to be a member, I'm not sure. But anyone here who buys laserdiscs should already be a member...it's free, and you get $5 in store credit for signing up.
After you select your $40 of discs, search for "shipping" and you then select the cheaper option.

Sam
02-27-2003, 02:51 AM
What's the URL?

Paff
02-27-2003, 07:58 AM
...and I usually include it... oh well, it's http://www.bigemma.com

Paff
02-27-2003, 08:38 AM
Good stuff, too, but ya gotta look around a bit. Make sure you check both the main listings and the sale listings.
I picked up:
Curse of Frankenstein (supposedly has better aspect ratio than the DVD)
Bride of Frankenstein
Chunking Express
Wing Chun
oh, and I got a 5 cent copy of Speed...

but they have other interesting stuff like:
The Fog/Escape From New York 2-pack (both SEs!)
Black Christmas (1.85:1, better framing than the DVD)
Blood for Dracula/Flesh for Frankenstein (little pricey though)
Stendhal Syndrome (Japanese)
It
Two Evil Eyes
Re-Animator (Elite)
Suspiria (proper sound mix)
The Shining miniseries (Japan)

the $2 shipping is a fantastic deal. Going over $40 was too easy.

Oh, and you get the shipping by putting all the items in your cart, then before checkout, search for "Shipping", and select the $2 shipping.

Admin
02-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Must...resist...the 12" temptation. Hmm, that doesn't sound very good, does it? :D

Actually, I just bought a few discs off ebay (The Game Criterion and Ring 2 Jap. Import), so while I'm going to check out Big Emma's, I probably won't order anything.

Paff
02-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Does that Ring LD have English subs? I wouldn't imagine it does.

Oh, and some other goodies at Big Emma's:
Tales From the Crypt Volume 1
Amazing Stories (Family Dog)
Silence of the Lambs Criterion
Horror of Dracula (may be the slightly cut version though)
Zombie Holocaust (or that may be Zombie Nightmare, I always get 'em all mixed up)
Mute Witness (crummy LD, fantastic movie)

Dave
02-27-2003, 08:32 PM
It sure does. I've confirmed that both The Ring and The Ring 2 Japanese laserdiscs have English subtitles. Obviously the dialog is in Japanese, so no need for Japanese subtitles. Pioneer Japan probably assumed they could attract some American sales by doing so. Actually, I've noticed that there are quite a few Japanese movies on laser that have English subtitles. If the movie is is any other language, however, the subtitles are always Japanese (obviously).

I'm probably going to order the original Ring Jap. laserdisc as well. I haven't confirmed whether Ring 0 was released on Jap. laserdisc, but considering the movie was released sometime in 2000 and Japanese LD production didn't dry up until late 2001, it's a safe bet to say it was. I'd like to own the entire trilogy on laser.

Oh, I didn't see much at Emma's. There were a few I might have been interested in, but not enough to come up with $40.00.

Paff
02-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Dave
It sure does. I've confirmed that both The Ring and The Ring 2 Japanese laserdiscs have English subtitles. Obviously the dialog is in Japanese, so no need for Japanese subtitles.

I'm probably going to order the original Ring Jap. laserdisc as well. I haven't confirmed whether Ring 0 was released on Jap. laserdisc, but considering the movie was released sometime in 2000 and Japanese LD production didn't dry up until late 2001, it's a safe bet to say it was. I'd like to own the entire trilogy on laser.

Actually, the first two Ring films were released in 98-99, so I'd say the likelihood of LD releases is probably very high. I'm genuinely surprised with the English subtitles though. I own several Japanese LDs of Japanese movies (Anime), and they have no subtitles at all.

I wouldn't mind getting those LDs though. I'd like to have an "official" Japanese Ring. Not the bootleg DVD I have, nor the one coming out next week...(though I'm probably buying that anyway, just to get the bootleg out of my collection)

Paff
02-27-2003, 09:01 PM
Just checked the disc you bought. It's from Hong Kong (obviously you know that, it was in the description). My guess is that the Japanese LDs would not have Englsh subs.

Be careful, that disc must have some kind of Cantonese on there. If it's not Chinese subtitles, the movie could be Cantonese-dubbed, with English subtitles. The seller might not have been able to tell if the dialogue was Japanese or Cantonese.

Dave
02-27-2003, 09:26 PM
People on alt.video.laserdisc left me with the impression that both Ring and Ring 2 Japanese discs have English subs on them as well. I do realize the one I bought is from Hong Kong. I wouldn't care if the dialog is in Cantonese or Japanese, and I can't imagine the seller would neglect to mention there were two sets of subtitles. :)

My contact in Japan will be back next week. I'll find out for sure then, as I'll probably be ordering the original Ring and hopefully Ring 0 from him.

I'm always scoping out import lasers on ebay. This is the first time I've seen Ring 2, so I wanted to snag it. There were some other Jap discs I wanted recently, but they ended up selling for way too much. You know I'm not a big cover person, but they had Japanese import discs for Halloween and Starship Troopers that had nice looking covers. They both ended up selling for $70+, which I couldn't believe. I would have paid upwards of $20.00 each, but who in their right mind would pay $70+ considering they are on SE DVD?

Paff
02-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Dave
My contact in Japan will be back next week. I'll find out for sure then, as I'll probably be ordering the original Ring and hopefully Ring 0 from him.

Well, if you get any good news, let me know. I also have a "Nihon no tomodachi" who is looking for Ring laserdiscs (or, reesadiisku) for me.

I definitely want Japanese dialogue though. I wonder if the person you're buying from can't TELL the difference between the languages, and just assumes that the spoken language on the disc is actually Japanese, when it's really Cantonese....

Dave
02-27-2003, 11:09 PM
You know some Japanese, right? Quick, tell me what "MEE HA MAHHHHHH!" means! Just kidding. Seriously, if you want, I can record some audio off the Ring 2 LD and shoot it over to you in MP3 format. I'm hoping to have the disc tomorrow, as I'd love to watch it this weekend. It's coming from Canada though, so who knows. It's being delivered to my work, so if it doesn't come tomorrow, I won't get it until at least Monday.

I also have a "Nihon no tomodachi" who is looking for Ring laserdiscs (or, reesadiisku) for me.

:eek2:

What the hell are you saying? I'm guessing that Nihon is someone that is looking for the Japanese discs for you. What I'm confused on is the 'or, reesadiisku' part. Anyway, I'll let you know what my guy finds later next week. He's good, but often he can often be expensive. He tends to use my logic, however. If something is on domestic DVD, he tends to charge less for the laser. Since I'm looking for Ring, which is coming to DVD, I'm hoping to get a decent price. If it is Japanese only I'll probably skip it, however.

Paff
02-27-2003, 11:20 PM
Simple. Cantonese is tonal, Japanese is not. If it sounds like the dialogue is based on voice tones (you'll hear sounds change pitch as they speak), it's Cantonese (or Mandarin). But yeah, I can identify it with a quick MP3.

"reesadiisku" is the way Japanese say "Laserdisc"

"Nihon no tomodachi" = Japanese friend.

Dave
02-27-2003, 11:21 PM
I just shot the seller an email. I wanted to find out what method he shipped it, so I can know who to be on the lookout for (UPS, USPS, etc.) and to hopefully get an idea of when it will arrive. I asked him if he knew for sure it was in Japanese or not, or whether it has English and Cantonese subtitles. I'll let you know what he says.