PDA

View Full Version : Dead or Alive series

KillSwitch
02-28-2003, 12:12 AM
I just got done watching the second film in the series. First one is better IMO. The second one I found to be more slower paced and stuff. Some cool action bits, but still not as good as the other one. What do you people think of these films? I haven't seen the third one yet, its on order. :)

Nick

Zombie Keeper
02-28-2003, 01:25 AM
Slower paced? Really. I thought the first one was very slow paced. Think I'll pass on the other two.

Bods
02-28-2003, 01:54 AM
I think the second is the best of the series, and one of Miike's best films. None of them can be called "fast-paced" imo.

Crazferret
03-01-2003, 04:43 PM
Even though I enjoyed the first, I wasn't in a rush to see the sequels. The second is the best in the series? How so?

Bods
03-02-2003, 05:01 AM
I think it's a great, beautiful drama. There is a very Kitano-ish calmness to the whole thing, and not much of the violence that Miike's become known for. Sho Aikawa and Riki Takeuchi are even better here than in the original (playing childhood friends) and it has a delightful cameo by Shinya Tsukamoto as a magician. Music by Chu Ishikawa (Fudoh) and cinematography by Kazunari Tanaka (DOA3) are both top-notch.

Lindane
03-06-2003, 09:00 AM
I dig on DOA2 as well. I almost nut myself when they started sprouting wings after they begun mirking people off!! That was incredible. I also loved the video game death scene. I think all 3 of these films are the greatest!! I have no problem with them being a little slow. I tried to show DOA to some friends of mine and they thought it was ridiculously slow and boring!! I can't fucking believe that shit man!! I still think the ending of the first one is one of the greatest scenes in cinematic history! I still don't understand why Criterion hasn't picked up any of Miike's films! He's prime for Criterion.

KillerCannabis
04-08-2003, 10:23 AM
I found copies of the first two from R2 and I fully intend to pick them up since after watching films like Ichi: The Killer and Audition I'm fully hooked on Miike.

aoiookami
04-09-2003, 06:53 AM
DoA 1 Unrated Directors cut is coming out on R1 next month, you can check it out on amazon. you can bet your ass I'll be ordering a copy:D

maringo
04-09-2003, 02:07 PM
I much prefer DOA2. It may be slower-paced than the first film but the characters have more depth and the dialogue is more interesting. I also like it more because there seems to be a lot more playing with the cliches of the genre. Did anybody else interpret the sprouting of angelic wings on the hitman after they starting donating all of their wages to charity as taking the whole "moral hitmen" cliche of action films (such as The Killer, Hitman, Leon etc) to ludricous extremes?

I've seen the trailer for DOA3 and it looks very strange indeed, seems more action-packed as well. I can't wait for this to come out on DVD!

KillSwitch
04-09-2003, 06:56 PM
I started this thread and I recently saw Dead or Alive Final. I didn't like it at all. IMO, these films went down as they went along. There are things in part 2 that I like. The wings and whatnot. I didn't care at all for the third one. It's on par with Miike's Full Metal Gokudo, that wasn't too great either.
Audition, City of Lost Souls, and Ichi The Killer I truly love though. :)

Nick

Deaddevilman
04-10-2003, 10:33 AM
The DOA series is okay. However, it's far from even being compared to any of the great yakuza series. Miike is obviously one fucked up individual and should probably hook up with Lynch to make a movie that will fuck everyone's mind.