PDA

View Full Version : Paff - Ring lasers update

Dave
02-28-2003, 08:58 PM
I got this post in alt.video.laserdisc

Neither the Japanese or HK LD's of RING have English subs. Only the HK disc
of RING 2 has English subs; it is in Japanese, not dubbed.

I'll confirm next week when my contact is back, but I'm fearing the worst. :( Sucks. I was hoping to get the whole trilogy on disc. But hey, at least Ring 2 seems to be in Japanese.

Did you still want prices on the Jap. discs if they have Jap. dialog? I can ask my seller for prices if you want.

Paff
02-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Did you still want prices on the Jap. discs if they have Jap. dialog? I can ask my seller for prices if you want.

Hai! Watashi wa Nihonho o sukoshi wakarimasu. Ringu no reesaadisku ga hoshii desu. Yoku sono eiga o miru. Ikura desu ka?

In other words, yes.

But I can't say I'm surprised about the lack of English subs. You do have an option though. I know a program that will add subtitles to an imported signal. So you'd have to find a timed translation, then watch the LD on your computer. But it can be done.

Dave
02-28-2003, 09:28 PM
That's too much of a hassle. If the lasers are really cheap, I may pick them up with the next order I give the guy (shipping is expensive from Japan, so it's best to get several discs in one batch).

Dave
03-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Just an update for those that care, assuming anyone does. This Ring 2 disc has Cantonese AND English subtitles (makes sense considering the disc is from Hong Kong, as Paff has pointed out). It's likely that at least one set of the subtitle intrudes onto the picture. That annoys me, but not to the point where I'll sell the disc. I'll probably keep it just for its rarity value and the fact that I'm a sucker for imports. For example, I have no idea why I'm keeping U-571, considering the German dialog scenes, of which there are many, have Japanese subtitles only. I suppose I should give U-571 another spin now that I have an RF demodulator again.

As for Ring 2, I have yet to receive the disc. The seller shipped surface mail, which can take up to 6 weeks! Usually it only takes a few weeks, however. That explains his cheaper than usual shipping. :cry: