PDA

View Full Version : Ever experienced Laser rot?

Sam
03-02-2003, 11:25 PM
I've been having a lot of bad experiences lately with rot (6 titles in one week, ouch!). May be because I have a lot of 80s films, who knows.

Anyone know of Horror films that have rotted on you, or 'well-known' to rot from other sources?

wago70
03-03-2003, 06:15 PM
I have, but only on a few titles: Suspiria, Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1989 Image version), Last House on the Left, Mute Witness, Copycat, Inseminoid (Import), Demons (Import), Contact, Party Girl, Star Wars collection (CAV - Return of the Jedi is the only one with the rot problem)...notice that some are from the '90's and are now known to contain "LR" since they were all pressed at the same facility.
These titles are FINE, but have been known to have laser rot: Alien (SE), Aliens (SE), Carrie (Criterion versions), First Men in the Moon (Columbia re-mastered version), Close Encounters (Criterion CAV) - not a speck to be found in all the years I had these great titles.

Paff
03-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Actually, I've experienced the most Rot with mid-90s titles. The notorious Sony discs were the worst. I had a rotted Shawshank Redemption, and went through 4 copies of The Usual Suspects before throwing in the towel and going DVD.

Warner discs seemed to rot quite often too, like True Romance or Freebie and The Bean.

My Criterion Seven is rotted too, but only on the disc that contains the non-DVD material. Figures.

Possibly the WORST company for rot is AD Vision's Anime discs. My Neon Genesis Evangelion, Blue Seed, and Burn Up W discs all have some degree of rot.

I guess the good thing is that if a disc is not rotted yet, it probably never will be...

Dave
03-03-2003, 06:34 PM
I've never had it. Even the 80s lasers I have are fine. It's certainly not a major problem.

Agent Z
03-03-2003, 10:51 PM
I have only seen a few laserdiscs with actual rot (BLUE THUNDER and FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 come to mind). I had a copy of A NEW NIGHTMARE that had minor drop-out speckling, which some people mistake for laser rot. Most merchants these days will guarantee their laserdisc stock to be free from laser rot, so it really shouldn't become a major issue when you are looking at titles.

Hellbilly
08-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Well, my old Lost Highway LD is rotting but I don't mind since I found a much better looking replacement on DVD.
The Craft (replaced) is also rotting, and so is Necronomicon which pisses me off since that title ain't available on DVD yet.

Tawny
08-30-2003, 05:08 PM
I don't know if its got rot, but the Student Bodies laserdisc I picked up has terrible sound quality.:mad:

bigdaddyhorse
08-31-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Hellbilly

, and so is Necronomicon which pisses me off since that title ain't available on DVD yet.

Necronomoicon IS on dvd, but only from Brazil, region 0 NTSC so you don't even need a region-free player to watch it. I did a review of the disc a few months back when I got it, so search the reader review thread and try to grab one off ebay (the ony place I've seen em, but the seller I dealt with, dvdbrazil, is great and I got it quick and easy for under $20 including shipping!

dwatts
08-31-2003, 03:28 AM
--Tawny27--

Best avator yet!

Tawny
08-31-2003, 03:30 AM

Mario77
09-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Only a handful out of 200+

"Friday the 13th" was one. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was another of them, and I kinda thought maybe the disc chose to end it's life, like, it was just to much to ask of it to keep playing such a woefully shitty movie. (Thankfully it's on DVD now in DTS!)

A buddy of mine who's been selling laserdiscs for decades said that sometimes humidity or excessive moisture can really play hell on your discs if they're not sealed well. If you live in a humid climate, that can exacerbate the problem of shoddy manufacturing a few discs have had over the years. I keep all of mine in zip-locks.

TheShape
09-11-2003, 03:35 AM
I only have 11 titles so far but I don't think any of them has laser rot. I admit I couldn't really recognize it if I saw it. Anyone has a picture of what It looks like?

Paff
09-11-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by TheShape
I only have 11 titles so far but I don't think any of them has laser rot. I admit I couldn't really recognize it if I saw it. Anyone has a picture of what It looks like?

Oh, you'll know it if you see it.

in it's basic form, it's little white speckles all over the picture. It gets worse over time.

But you'll know immediately that there's something wrong with the picture.

TheShape
09-12-2003, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the info. It brings to mind another question: can you tell if a disc has laser rot just by looking at the disc itself? Does it kind of show up as a physical defect?

wizzer
09-12-2003, 07:12 AM
now that paff has said what it is the fugitive that i bought for 19 dollars(story in my sig) is a two disc feature and one of the discs has laser rot but not the other.

ekent
09-12-2003, 08:15 AM
I thought that I had read on here before that laser rot was NOT the white speckling.

Paff
09-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by TheShape
Thanks for the info. It brings to mind another question: can you tell if a disc has laser rot just by looking at the disc itself? Does it kind of show up as a physical defect?

No, you can really only tell by watching the movie.

If you want to inspect a disc for rot, use the Ross' Exchange method. He scans a LD by popping it in, checking it, then jump to the end of the side (a player with a time search function makes this much easier) as sometimes rot will start on the outside of the disc and move in (LDs are read center-out). Then flip the disc and repeat.

And yes, sometimes only one disc of a set will rot. Like I mentioned earlier, I bought the 4-disc version of Seven, as it has some features that didn't make it to the DVD. Of those 4 discs, or eight sides, only one side has rot. You guessed it, the one with the non-DVD material....

While you can't check for rot visually, it's known to happen on certain pressings. Sony/Columbia Tri-Star are among the worst, and I've seen it on a lot of Warner discs (The Fugitive is Warner...). Some Criterions have it.
I think I've had the best luck by far with Pioneer discs. Image are usually very reliable as well.

The good news is that rot is a one-time thing. As in, if a disc hasn't rotted by now, it probably never will.

Agent Z
09-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by ekent
I thought that I had read on here before that laser rot was NOT the white speckling.

Yes, for the most part. If you see random white speckles here and there, and it doesn't get progressively worse, then you are probably just experiencing "dropouts" and not "rot".

For a more in-depth look, go here:http://laserdiscs.discdude.net/faq.htm

and

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/Ld/FAQ/

geekcccp
11-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Has anyone else had any problems with Criterion LD's because my Halloween is shot to hell. It is the most annoying thing in the world.

wago70
11-17-2003, 03:05 AM
My Criterion HALLOWEEN is perfect - I just watched it the other day. However, I had a copy of their MONTENEGRO LD and it was rotted.
Their CARRIE and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS have had reported incidents of rot, but mine play perfectly to this day. Hardly a speck to be had. Especially on HALLOWEEN CAV - the blacks are solid on mine.
My old LD of Image's SUSPIRIA is another story, however. Pure Snow.

Dave
11-17-2003, 08:11 AM
My Halloween is perfect too. I watched it when I did the Halloween: 25th anniv. DVD review.

geekcccp
11-17-2003, 07:56 PM
just wondering because i looking to invest in other criterion LD's...my other 2 Criterion LD's are fine...i guess it's just a freak thing

Dave
11-17-2003, 11:00 PM
Search on Google and see if the title is a known rotter. Paff is right, however. Some companies (notably Columbia) are worse than others. Image and Pioneer are usually solid.

Go to Google Groups, specify advanced search and return only results in alt.video.laserdisc - Just search for the title and then something like rot or rotter.

Paff
11-17-2003, 11:43 PM
I've seen some rot on Criterion titles, but very rarely. The example I gave above, of Seven, is the only one I have personally (I own about 15 Criterion LDs, including Halloween, and Seven is the only one with rot), so I'd say it's worth the risk to buy a Criterion sight unseen.

Katatonia
11-27-2003, 11:04 AM
This is somewhat off topic, but...

Has anyone ever experienced "DVD rot"? Apparently it happens mostly with dual-layer discs that are improperly maufactured or stored incorrectly. FOX and WAMO manufactured discs are the ones I've heard this about. Anyone know more about it?

Salty
09-22-2004, 06:53 PM
I have had two discs that I am certain have laser rot. The first to go was my Lost Highway LD which is unwatchable with wierd horizontal color bands fluttering in the image. This disc is actually looks much better in my older player...CLD-3080 I think. The second disc is Starman which has unbearable dropout for about 15 minutes at the beginning of side 2.

DVD Connoisseur
09-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Frightened to check my LDs - haven't watched them in years but if I found they had rot I'd cry. All but 1 disc were bought at the original full RRP...cost me 000s..... :eek1:

On the DVD side of things, my Swordfish DVD corrupts and dies at the layer change...just as Halle's undressing. Proof that there is no God? :cry: :lol:

laserdogg
09-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Criterions that rotted in my collection:

Boyz n the Hood - so far replacement is fine
Tootsie