PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Horror Moment

napalm68
01-21-2001, 11:13 AM
Just wondering what people find as their favorite moment in a horror film? Not necessarily the messiest, but what touched a nerve, or made you think, or uneasy (but not in a bad way).

Strangely enough, mine would have to be the part in Alien when Ash rolls up the magazine and attempts to kill Ripley with it. May seem like an odd choice, but just the banality of the object he was using, and the cold way he went about rolling it up and starting to force it into her mouth. But that's what made it creepy I guess - not a gun, not a knife, not a hammer, not any sort of conventionally used weapon... Every time I see it it still creeps me out.

Maybe I should change my signature to "Guns don't kill people. Magazines do" http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

mutleyhyde
01-21-2001, 11:34 AM
Love that new signature Napalm. The root rape scene in Evil Dead always got me. And how many scenes from the Hammer movies would I have to list? It would be endless.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Se7en
01-21-2001, 01:13 PM
For me it has always been The Exorcist. Anytime Regan talks when she is possessed just creeps me out... And as for a scene that really got to me was when the evil spirit leaves her and comes into Karras... After all the poor guy has been through!

Jamm
01-21-2001, 02:44 PM
The crucifix scene didn't bother you at all? I still find that hard to watch! Not because it's sacreligous, but that sound!!! Ugghh!!!

fishhead
01-21-2001, 03:10 PM
For me it's got to be in TCM when whatshername stumbles into that room full of feathers and bones. I still find those images to be the creepiest things I've ever seen.

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

DVD Connoisseur
01-21-2001, 03:26 PM
The BOO! scene in Exorcist III. My head must have hit the theatre roof when I first saw this movie. Not only does the scene make you jump, it stays me with you afterwards. Very strange and very creepy.

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-21-2001, 06:55 PM
In Texas chainsaw massacre when Leatherface hits Kirk in the head with a hammer! oh damn that scene scared the fuck out of me! His body was convulsing! yuk! I rented it behind my parents back and probably should not have seen it at the age I did, but that scene has always been one of the most disturbing, realistic looking deaths I've seen.
Also when Freddy Kruger kills Tina. Creepy! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/eek.gif

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

jeffschmidt
01-21-2001, 07:49 PM
Reagan's head turning 360. I saw that when I was way too little & I'm still scared.

------------------
"I like that satellite TV, Pa!" -Ellie May, Redneck Zombies

ashe001
01-21-2001, 08:50 PM
I gotta agree with TCM being my most memorable. I loved the first appearance of Leatherface when he smashes Kirk and then slams that sliding door hard. That echo still get's me everytime.

Mark Relford
01-21-2001, 09:28 PM
Four scenes come to mind...

The basement scene from Dawn of the Dead. The mindless zombies writhing on the floor, some wrapped in sheets, others crawling towards Peter and Roger.

The hallucination scenes from Repulsion. Especially, the hands popping out of the walls and grabbing Deneuve!

Michael Caine losing his hand in an automobile accident in The Hand. Made me think twice about sticking my hand out the car window!

The townspeople's dumbfounded reaction to their bloodthirsty acts in Two Thousand Maniacs.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Vdlman
01-21-2001, 09:35 PM
There's also the scene in Maniac when Tom Savini's head explodes. An amazing effect!

mutleyhyde
01-21-2001, 10:05 PM
That's a beautiful scene Vdlman! Best celluloid shotgun blast I've seen. No wonder Savini is so well respected.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

hojimoji
01-21-2001, 11:06 PM
The scene in the Devil's Advocate where the baby is holding the entrails. I fast forward through that every time now.

G.

momylitlemonster
01-22-2001, 12:08 AM
The red glowing eye scene in Amityville Horror-I was young when I saw it. Jaws has forever changed my swimming in the ocean. Now that I live in Florida I still won't go out in water above my chest!! If the water isn't clear that day-forget it!

The Chaostar
01-22-2001, 04:29 PM
Well, I always freak out with the dinner scene of TCM. It is HORRORRRRRRRR by definition!

and OF COURSE
the bloodied hallway (in slo-mo) in the SHINING. The whole scene to be precise.

AceRimRat
01-22-2001, 09:31 PM
The "We're gonna need a bigger boat" scene from Jaws - I saw it too young, and back-to-back with J2, and didn't go swimming for about two years. I love watching stuff about the ocean, I want to learn to scuba dive, and I'm firmly convinced something will eat me when I finally go on my big diving vacation.

And I can't even dangle my leg off the couch when I watch that movie to this day.

Other way-too-soon horror moments: Dawn of the Dead (loved it!) and Creepshow (same party as Jaws) with the thing under the stairs - and the funny thing about Creepshow is, when I grew up I went to Carnegie Mellon University, where that whole segment was filmed!

rhett
01-23-2001, 01:30 AM
The single most memorable part in a movie for me was, like Chaostar, also from the Shining. It was the part where Jack has gone off his rocker and chasing Shelly Duvall down the hall, and they pass that room with the man in the bear costume. I've found that to be the most eeire part of a movie and I have never forgotten that.

Cujo108
01-23-2001, 01:56 AM
Actually, it is a dog suit. That is my favorite part of The Shining too!

Paff
01-23-2001, 06:01 PM
Here's a good one (though it may technically qualify as "suspense"):

The loooooooooong scene as Carrie goes up on stage to become Prom Queen. Super slow motion, tied in with Sue Snell discovering the prank, and futilely trying to stop it. I swear, every time I watch that movie, I think to myself, "This time she'll get everyone's attention and stop the prank". Of course, she never does, but when a movie can make you want something else to happen, even when you KNOW what WILL happen, well, that's just damn fine filmmaking.

rhett
01-23-2001, 07:24 PM
heh, its been awhile Cujo http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif But can you blame me with WB's "at the request of Kubrick's" release? I hope the reissue will be up to snuff.