PDA

View Full Version : Son of Frankenstein

MaxRenn
03-04-2003, 01:50 AM
What do other people think of this film? The original "Frankenstein" and "Bride of ..." get all the publicity but I find "Son of ..." very entertaining. It has 4 of the greatest 30s/40s horror stars, amazing sets (Castle Frankenstein doesn't seem the most comfortable place to live), that Gothic atmosphere, and some unexpected humor (Atwill's police chief with the artificial arm, Lugosi's character who can't get hung again because it didn't work the first time!). But what puts it over the edge for me is the wild performance by Basil Rathbone who gets crazier as the film progresses until at the end he is maniacally shouting all his lines. The dart throwing scene with Lionel Atwill makes me crack up every time!! They must have been having a ball when they made this flick!

moogong
03-04-2003, 05:22 PM
I like the movie. It wasnt a ground breaking film for its time but it was pretty funny.

The Monster
03-05-2003, 11:37 PM
I thought this was a fun film; nothing spectacular; I could see why Boris wanted out of the 'franchise' after Son...House of Frankenstein was also fun; and I thought it was a little better than this...

...As you know; or may not know; I am a fan of anything Frankenstein; so I liked them all; especially 'Bride'. The Hammer Frankenstein series is quite good aswell :)

marioscido
03-09-2003, 03:51 PM
I've actually never seen this, but I've always wanted to. Your description, Max, makes me want to run out and see it as soon as possible. I love Basil Rathbone. Too bad the disc is oop.

MaxRenn
03-11-2003, 12:53 AM
Mario, I caught the movie recently on TCM although I've seen it a few times in the past. Definitely worth a look - not as "important" as its two successors but still a lot of fun.