PDA

View Full Version : Dammit!

Paff
03-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Just got an E-mail from Big Emma's. Turns out they had incorrectly listed The Bride of Frankenstein when I ordered it. They don't have a copy. At least they removed it and the charge from my bill, but I wanted the movie!

Well, now that I'm on the subject, has anyone seen this LD? I've heard that it's a lot better than the DVD. Damn cool old movie, possibly better than the first. I just don't wanna have to wait for it to come on AMC or TCM anymore...

Dave
03-05-2003, 12:16 AM
Why is it better than the DVD? The DVD is essentially a port from the LD.

Paff
03-05-2003, 03:10 AM
I dunno. It's what I've heard. It's what "they" say, and "they" talk a lot, don't they?

I'm just wondering if anyone's seen both and can say for sure. Since I had it in my shopping cart, I kinda have my heart set on getting it now...

Admin
03-05-2003, 10:15 PM
I've never heard that about Young Frankenstein, and I'm a frequent reader of alt.video.laserdisc. I've heard similar things about other laserdiscs and their DVD ports, but never YM. That's not to say there isn't something better about the laser. I'm just saying I've never heard of anything.

Paff
03-05-2003, 10:35 PM
That's fine Dave, but I'm talking about BRIDE of Frankenstein (Elsa Lanchester w/ Marge Simpson hair), not YOUNG Frahn-ken-steen. (Not that that's a bad movie either...)

Dave
03-05-2003, 11:10 PM
:lol:

Sorry about that. You know when your mind reads one thing and processes another?

The Bride DVD is an SE and the LD is barebones. Get the DVD.

Paff
03-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Dave
The Bride DVD is an SE and the LD is barebones. Get the DVD.

How bout a quote directly from the HorrorDVDs review:

For this special edition, Universal presents The Bride of Frankenstein in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio (the film was shot in 1.37:1) in glorious B&W. I must say I'm a tad disappointed with this transfer, which is the worst looking of the three currently released monster classics. This is not to say it's bad, just a bit disappointing as so far I've been impressed with the previous special editions of the Universal Classic Monster line. The transfer exhibits a fair amount of grain throughout the presentation and the overall image seems a bit dark.

And I've heard the LD shines in comparison. It presents a dilemma though. The extras on the DVD look real nice, but to me the most important thing is the movie itself. I don't know if I wanna step down in movie quality in exchange for supplemental stuff. Knowing me and my collector's mentality though, I can see myself someday owning both the LD AND DVD....

MISFITZ
03-07-2003, 11:01 PM
I'd hafta disagree with the review on the DVD. Sure it's not the best transfer we humans have seen on DVD, but it's pretty damn decent/good if you ask me. (no one is asking.) And out of the 3 which i assume is DRACULA, WOLFMAN and FRANKENSTIEN, i think FRANKENSTIEN is actually the worst. It's miles improved, but to me, the worst out of them. All of them are gonna be shitty due to time and the nature of how it was shot.

It's been a while since i've seen the DVD again, but i'd go with the DVD. Sure the movie is the most important thing, but if your improving your image just a hair, it just seems like your being 'too damn picky' on it. :D ;) It's like preferring one bottled water brand over another.

Prove me wrong though Paff. Tell me the LD is "MILES ABOVE" the DVD. But if its just a slight improvement, wtf? That's just me though. I could understand having 2 versions for extras, deleted footage or aspect ratio conflicts, but the freakin DVD is pretty bad ass. Personally, i just can't see the LD blowing the DVD away. It may be better but i wouldn't count on it being "a lot' better.

WTF do i know though?

Paff
03-08-2003, 03:10 AM
Yeah 'fitz, but the problem with you is that you're not obsessive-compulsive like I am (especially about Laserdiscs). All I need to hear is that the LD offers some slight advantage than the DVD and I'm all over it. I did that with The Matrix, when I heard that the LD sound is way better. To be honest, I didn't hear a huge difference.

However, when I traded in my Tomorrow Never Dies LD for the SE DVD for all of the extras (LD was bare bones), I was totally disappointed with the DVD sound. I immediately re-bought the LD. Now, when I watch Tomorrow Never Dies, it's on LD. The DVD is for extras only.

So it's not unlikely that I'd do the same with The Bride of Frankenstein....

Yowie
03-10-2003, 09:01 PM
"Bride..." is the one I'm missing on LD too, I have "Frankenstein" and "Son...".

:cry: