PDA

View Full Version : How´s the image quality of R1 RINGU, compared to Tartan´s?

Senor Igor
03-05-2003, 10:14 PM
I have the Tartan edition. The image is pretty crisp, but some scenes are TOO dark and the subs are non-removable. Should I buy the Dreamworks edition or stick to the one I already have?

moogong
03-05-2003, 10:27 PM
I would buy the Dreamworks edition. That's if you dont mind spending at least $25 on something you already have.

ekent
03-05-2003, 11:09 PM
R1 is better than Tartan, If you dont already have tartan's then get the R1, if you already have it the tartan, then keep it.

Senor Igor
03-06-2003, 01:18 AM
Actually, I don´t mind having multiple copies of some DVDs, if the differences are visible.

KillerCannabis
03-08-2003, 12:18 AM
I've already got it on disc, but its the Tartan bootleg R0 edition. I'm going to spring for the new R1 since it has to have better subs than what I've got now and I'm sure the 16X9 picture (though improperly matted at 1.85:1 instead of 1.78:1) looks much better too.

Senor Igor
03-08-2003, 12:32 AM
The Tartan edition is not a bootleg.

Curt Duncan
03-14-2003, 03:27 PM
The picture quality of Ringu is fantastic!!!
Subtitles are better to read as well.

Paff
03-14-2003, 04:51 PM
I just got a copy yesterday ($12, thanks Ross!)

My older copy wasn't the official Tartan, it's the Region 0 copy of the Tartan.

I did a A/B comparison, and found that the differences are actually not all that huge. The Tartan rip was a little darker than the R1, but they're both pretty dark transfers. The subtitles are definitely easier on the R1. Also, the R0 rip was definitely done from a PAL source, as I could never keep the two in sync. The R0 would always get ahead of the R1 (PAL "speed-up")

I really haven't had a chance to compare the soundtracks yet. As it stands, I only bought the R1 because I don't like owning bootlegs.

Wermode
03-15-2003, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the info.

When I saw the Ringu trailer on The Ring I was tweaked into thinking I should buy it even though I, too, have the "Ebay Tartan," which looks soft compared to the crisp picture I see in the trailer. After reading your comments, Paff, I think I'll save my $25.

Curt Duncan
03-15-2003, 07:47 AM
I don't know about all of your copies, but my region 0 NTSC copy I won off ebay is absolute gargage!! I am really satisfied with the new region one copy.

Paff
03-15-2003, 08:29 AM
Well, make no doubt about it, the Region 1 is definitely better than the R0 boot. But it's not amazingly better, so unless you're a hardcore fan, you probably won't need the slightly better version. I mostly bought it as I have a moral objection to owning bootleg discs.

Fart Lighter
03-15-2003, 10:50 AM
It's not uncommon for small label UK disks (like HK releases) to be region 0. The BFI released a load of films uncoded, then went back and changed them to r2 at a later date for some reason. Tartan re-released thier RING series like this. Originally they were r0 on the Tartan Terror line, then they were issued R2 as part of Tartan Asia Extreme. Both versions are just as legitimate and legal as the other. I've got Tartan's R0 RING, but I can assure you it's legitimate. Unless you've got one in a photocpoy sleeve on a writeable disk, then chances are it's genuine. Did you get it from an official supplier?

Bods
03-16-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Fart Lighter
It's not uncommon for small label UK disks (like HK releases) to be region 0.

True, but in this case Tartan's Ring releases are R0/PAL. The boots of the Tartan discs are R0/NTSC.

marcx
03-18-2003, 06:49 PM
I just picked up the three Ring (parts 1,2 and 0) region 0 discs at $9.99 each. I know that the region 1 may have been slightly better but they are overcharging like crqazy for it. For almost the same money as that ringu release i got the whole series!