PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Hammer Films...Each Decade?

HammerFANatic
04-28-2001, 09:56 PM
Let's list them up....choose one Hammer film from each decade....1950-1970. :D

HammerFANatic
05-02-2001, 02:59 PM
Well, in answer to my own question:

1950's
The Mummy-I think this film improves with each viewing, for me. I love the sets used for this film, the colors, the pairing of Cushing and Lee and the way that Hammer had their Mummy quick and agile compared to any Mummy films we'd been shown, before.

1960's
The Lost Continent-I know, I know! This was the first Hammer film this fan ever saw and it will always be a favorite of mine, I suppose it's unfortunate that it was filmed in the 60's, a time when Hammer films really gave the film world some fantastic films, but I'll stand by my choice!

1970's
Vampire Circus-This is the decade where my choices become more difficult to make, with films such as this, Captain Kronos-Vampire Hunter and Twins of Evil as well as Blood From the Mummy's Tomb I do have a difficult time staying with one film as my choice. Vampire Circus is a wonderful film, erotic, graphic and well made, thus that is my choice for this go 'round.

mutleyhyde
05-03-2001, 06:04 AM
Sorry HF, didn't mean to ignore your post. Good choices there, but I knew you'd pick Continent! ;) I just wanted to do some research first, as I don't know off the top of my head. HOWEVER, you DO know which one I'll pick for the 70s. Let me get back to you on the 50s and 60s, 'kay? Till then, keep it bloody! :D

Diamondhead
05-04-2001, 03:15 PM
50's - HORROR OF DRACULA. To me, this is THE Hammer film.
60's - FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED. The best of the Frankenstein series. An intellegent script, with Cushing at his icy best.
70's - TWINS OF EVIL, with HANDS OF THE RIPPER coming in a close second, but once again Cushing's performance as the fanatic, who turns out to have a heart after all, makes this one the tops for me.

HammerFANatic
05-05-2001, 09:39 PM
No rush, MH...take your time. :)

Great choices, DH! :D

mutleyhyde
05-06-2001, 04:57 AM
Okay, finally! I know y'all were just waiting in fitfull frustration, so here goes...

1950s - Well, I didn't want to go with the popular choice, but I really do have to, as Dracula is probably the Hammer that hooked me at first, and besides, it is awesome.

1960s - The bastard child that no one wants to claim... Rasputin, The Maaaaaaad Monk! This is classic Hammer, Lee is simply incredible in it, and the supporting cast and action are all dead on. Who cares if it's not historically accurate to the T. Hell, nobody knows what happened anyway. Great film, and one with which you can really enjoy a bottle of wine, or two or three (Watch the movie if you don't know what I mean. It's a friggin' party movie if ever there was one!). Great commentary by Christopher Lee, Barbara Shelley, Francis Matthews and Suzan Farmer on the dvd too! (And I'll tell you just this once, this is where my signature comes from. Don't tell anybody. Shhh...)

1970s - Yep. You know it, Twins of Evil! Stellar Cushing, hot Collinson twins, Satanic toasts at the dinner table, and oh so much more.

I want more Hammer dvds, dammit!! Talking about Dracula and Twins of Evil suddenly makes me very sad and lonely. I want my Hammer. Where is my Hammer??? *sniff* *sniff* :(

HammerFANatic
05-06-2001, 12:07 PM
I'll definitely give you a gold star for your choices, to, maybrick! :D I love, Dracula and more than likely would have chose that for fave 50's film, but I'm also a big fan of, The Mummy, so this week, that's my choice, but next week might be another story. ;)

carl.kolchak
05-06-2001, 10:12 PM
Looks like 2 of my favorites have already been listed, everyone has exceptional taste. ;) :)

50's: Dracula
60's: Brides of Dracula
70's: Twins of Evil

HammerFANatic
05-08-2001, 02:14 PM
This was definitely a tough question, as each decade has such much to offer! It's sort of like the question.....*If you were on a deserted island....*, but still, always fun to see lists of faves or choices from others. :D