PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch LDs on an HDTV?

Sam
03-07-2003, 07:44 AM
I don't own a HDTV myself, but I took a few Lasers over to a bud's house the other day and the picture quality looked much worse on it compared to my 4:3.

Any reason for this? I've been thinking about HD for a while now, but this recent experience w/ terrible looking LDs on one has made me question myself.

Need input here.

Dave
03-07-2003, 08:33 AM
I have an HDTV. I used to have a Pioneer LD-S9 player, which often produced an image very close to that of DVD on my HDTV. Since I didn't use it enough to justify the price I paid, I sold the player and bought a CLD-D604. The D604 is still more than acceptable on my HDTV. Is it DVD? No, it is not. One thing regarding 16x9 TVs is that if you play the LD in regular viewing mode, and it's a widescreen LD, you end up with black bars on all 4 sides of the image. My 16x9, and I'm sure many others have this as well, has an option to magnify, or blow up to the image so that the black bars on the side essentially disappear. Aspect ratio stay the same; the image is just magnified. What results is a large image, but also an image that displays more of the transfer's flaws. This is to be expected. The bigger TV you go with - HD or not - the more obvious flaws will be. This can also be said for DVD, though a new movie on DVD that is essentially using a new transfer still looks pretty damn good.

I'm betting that my HDTV has a pretty good comb filter in it, because the image looks better than what I was expecting. Regardless, as larger TVs become the norm, people will find their lasers don't look as good. Really about the only thing you can do is get a better laserdisc player. You can get an Elite domestic model for $700+, or you can get one of the imports that will run you anywhere from $1000-$3000. The $3000 import player is reported to be the best LD player ever produced.

Agent Z
03-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Hey Sam.....we touched on this topic a little over a month ago...

"Watching Laserdiscs on HDTV Monitor" (http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9986)

......no sweat.......(just remember, the search button will set you free!) :)

I will add that as I have now tried watching laserdiscs on my new 47" HDTV, the drop-off in quality is too much for me. I ended up keeping my 27" analog to watch my lasers on.......but I'm going to buy a 32" monitor this summer and keep that to enjoy those selections that really don't make sense on the 47"....like video games (too many static images flirting with the possibility of burn-in), laserdiscs, and regular broadcast television (still not used to stretching the image).........

Sam
03-08-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by MISSIONCODEZ
Hey Sam.....we touched on this topic a little over a month ago...

"Watching Laserdiscs on HDTV Monitor" (http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9986)

......no sweat.......(just remember, the search button will set you free!) :)

I will add that as I have now tried watching laserdiscs on my new 47" HDTV, the drop-off in quality is too much for me. I ended up keeping my 27" analog to watch my lasers on.......but I'm going to buy a 32" monitor this summer and keep that to enjoy those selections that really don't make sense on the 47"....like video games (too many static images flirting with the possibility of burn-in), laserdiscs, and regular broadcast television (still not used to stretching the image).........

Thanks, I hadn't tried that.