PDA

View Full Version : Any huge Bela Lugosi fans here?

Horrorfan
03-08-2003, 01:18 AM
Are there any Bela Lugosi fans here on the board. I got a great deal on a slew of his movies on dvd. Of course there the bargain bin flicks but long as I have them on dvd I don't care. It isn't like The Corpse Vanishes is gonna get special treatment down the road. I have seen a bargain copy of White Zombie floating around with a really good retro cover. Anyone have this?

moogong
03-08-2003, 02:15 AM
I a fan of Lugosi but I am of normal size :p

Actually, I think Dracula is the only flick of his I have on dvd. That really was a great film.

MaxRenn
03-08-2003, 02:49 AM
Bela's great. Have you seen "White Zombie"? Very good film - as good as "Dracula" which hasn't aged well. Another good one is "Black Cat" with Bela going up against Karloff's devil-worshipper.

The Monster
03-08-2003, 03:38 AM
I am not a huge Lugosi fan at all. Vincent Price and Boris Karloff; that's who I am a huge fan of. Dracula is a sub-par Universal horror film; but overall; I only really like Bela in 'White Zombie' and 'Murders in the Rue Morgue'; I like The Black Cat, The Raven, Black Friday etc; but Karloff got top billing for those :)

Horrorfan
03-08-2003, 03:39 AM
Yeah I have seen most of Bela's flicks. White Zombie is pretty good and so is the Black Cat. Isn't it amazing that you can find more of Bela's work than Karloff's. Im thinking of picking up a cheap version of white zombie just to have it. Im not the biggest fan of the film but as a fan of Lugosi i want it.

mcchrist
03-08-2003, 06:33 AM
I am not a huge Lugosi fan at all. Vincent Price and Boris Karloff; that's who I am a huge fan of. Dracula is a sub-par Universal horror film; but overall; I only really like Bela in 'White Zombie' and 'Murders in the Rue Morgue'; I like The Black Cat, The Raven, Black Friday etc; but Karloff got top billing for those :)

What Monster said.

mutleyhyde
03-08-2003, 07:23 AM
I like Bela for who he was more than his characters. I dig his personal story, being an immigrant who came over and was immediately typecast, but was okay with it, hamming it up for the relentless media who all but insisted he interview in his cape. He took it all in stride.

I've tried liking his films, and to a degree, I do like them, but I feel he was just one of those actors who could not for the life of them adapt to the set from the stage. It didn't help him any that when he started over here the film industry was still going through it's own growing pains in changing from silents to talkies. I think this is why Dracula ultimately fails. As a collection of still shots, it's a beautiful movie, and there are even a few choice, classic lines, but overall, it's essentially a plodding silent film with a stage actor who is used to acting out the whole story in one go rather than turning the creative flow on and off and acting scenes in nonsequential order.

I think his other films also suffer from the same condition, but then again, he made a lot of films for some real no-budget production companies, so I'm sure that played a part as well.

Other than Dracula, I thoroughly enjoy S.O.S. Coast Guard and White Zombie. I highly recommend Roan's dvds of these two. Roan's White Zombie is fucking stellar. There really is no reason to get any other version.

mutleyhyde
03-08-2003, 07:25 AM
Oh, and yeah, it is sad as hell that we are so far deprived of Karloff, but MGM has sure done good by us as far as Price goes. Kudos to them!

John
03-08-2003, 07:33 AM
I dig Lugosi. I'm not the type to watch the classics all of the time, but I love them when I see them. I'm not sure that horror would be the same without early greats like Karloff, Lugosi, and Price.

dwatts
03-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Bela is fine. Dracula is a brilliant film, with all it's faults. It's quite easy to be ciritcal of the early Universals, but look when they were made, and the transitions the acotrs were going through. There's nothing I would cut out of it. Anyhoo - nice to have a great release of it out there :)

onebyone
03-08-2003, 10:25 AM
I love Bela, but haven't upgraded my vhs of his movies yet. I love his work, the good, the bad and the ugly. I was really upset when he lost in the horror tournement because you know, I am a geek and I also really like him.

Yowie
03-08-2003, 05:50 PM
I have Image's "Phantom Ship", he's very good in that one. I can't believe Universal haven't put out "The Black Cat" and "The Raven" yet, and we also need "The Invisible Ray" and "Black Friday" and they released all of those on VHS.:confused:

mutleyhyde
03-08-2003, 06:30 PM
I've been meanin' to get Phantom Ship. Good to hear it's a winner, and it's cheap too!

Originally posted by onebyone
I was really upset when he lost in the horror tournement because you know, I am a geek and I also really like him.
:lol: http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

The Monster
03-08-2003, 06:45 PM
I haven't gotten the oppourtunity yet to see PHANTOM SHIP; how cheap is it?

I am also an Ed Wood geek; so the 3 Ed Wood films Lugosi appeared in I like; and once again; Ed Wood is NOT the worst director of all time! :)

mutleyhyde
03-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Monster, I've seen Phantom Ship for as low as ten bucks, but I think the average is around $12. If you buy online, check out www.dvdpricesearch.com, and if you don't, I think Best Buy has it for around $12.

mcchrist
03-08-2003, 10:04 PM
and once again; Ed Wood is NOT the worst director of all time! :)

No argument here, the worst director of all time is Jess Franco :)

The Monster
03-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
No argument here, the worst director of all time is Jess Franco :)

Exactly :)

KillerCannabis
04-08-2003, 09:44 AM
I'm a fan of Lugosi but I dont have much of his work on DVD. I've only got Dracula on disc and a few tapes such as White Zombie and The Corpse Vanishes.