PDA

View Full Version : The Happiness of the Katakuris

slinker
03-09-2003, 07:26 AM
After watching `Ichi the Killer` i went straight on the net and found a copy of this Takeshi Miike film, someone told me it was like a surreal cross between `The Sound Of Music` and `Night oF The Living Dead` which sounds pretty killer to me, as i dig weird movies.... anyone have any thoughts on this film? is it another Miike masterpiece? i mean this guy seems to be unstoppable! :)

mcchrist
03-09-2003, 08:57 AM
This is the movie that turned me into a fan of Miike. The description that someone gave you is highly inaccurate IMO. Its completely in a realm of its own. What you will find is a completely fucked up movie that will resemble what a bad dramamine trip would look like. The violence is done using weird claymation techniques that remind me of some PBS children's programming (which was completely deliberate), the music is unpolished and resembles something out of a high school play. But the movie is just so far off the wall it is nothing more than fantastic! There seems to be a sense of unbridled optimism throughout, even though the family is suffering through unspeakable horror. Completely ignore the Night of the Living Dead statement, there are only two zombie sequences and both are hallucinatory. Don't expect anything, actually, this movie is just that fucked up! I didn't enjoy Audition, but I did enjoy this. Its just too fun!

BTW: Thanks for bringing this up, I was going to write a review about this this week... :fire: :fire: :fire:

The first time I'd do anything like that on this forum and someone already is stealing my thunder!

Oh well!

:banana:

slinker
03-09-2003, 06:02 PM
:lol: I cant wait to get this disc, it sounds right up my street man.
All that claymation stuff is kinda like that `Faust` film, and that was damn freaky.... Takeshi Miike is unstoppable, thats it im gonna pick up every goddam film this geezers ever made!! :D

DeathDealer
03-11-2003, 12:43 AM
I heard there's alot of Sexual Content. How far does it go.

mcchrist
03-11-2003, 01:00 AM
:rolleyes:

Suicide
03-11-2003, 06:00 AM
There's a large Sumo wrestler's naked ass. Hilarious scene by the way. No shower scenes if that's what you're asking.

Lindane
03-13-2003, 09:43 PM
I think it's another Miike classic. The scene where the family walks in on homeboys' suicide is my favorite!! Pure genious!! Solid gold. My girlfriend likes his movies and hated this one though. I think it gets better with every viewing.

aoiookami
03-22-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by DeathDealer
I heard there's alot of Sexual Content. How far does it go.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
where did you hear that from, there is like 1 tiny scene...

anyways, I simply love this movie, it was fantastic, right from the bizzare claymation intro to the bizzare ending. Miike is a genius:D

Shannafey
03-22-2003, 02:10 AM
I have not yet been impressed with his work. Audition didn't do a lot for me and Ichi was OK at best. I so want to see this and Visitor Q, but I'm afraid I'll be dissapointed again. If only I could rent these things!!

tobaccoman
07-19-2005, 11:58 PM
I just watched this film for the first time and it's absolutely fucking brilliant. It's sad, happy, funny, smart, and ridiculously stupid all rolled up in one nice package. Many of the musical numbers are absolutely hilarious and the claymation sequences are just tripped out. After viewing the film, I had to take it back to a couple of the musical numbers just because I loved them sooo much. I have a feeling this is going to become one of my most watched dvds.

I got the Ventura R1 release and I've just fot to say it looks and sounds fantastic. It's got a boatload of extras including a Miike commentary, interview and a making-of featurette. My only complaint is that although it looks and sounds great, my dvd packaging smells a little funny.

Deaddevilman
07-20-2005, 12:16 AM
This is one Miike film, along with City of Lost Souls, that I can do without. I think this is one film where Miike just lost it after the first 15 minutes. I have not seen the Korean film that this is based on. Perhaps it will be better.

The Chaostar
07-20-2005, 08:44 AM
My only complaint is that although it looks and sounds great, my dvd packaging smells a little funny.

:eek:

Miike's films do smell funny anyway!

dwatts
07-20-2005, 10:05 AM
What's the best version to get? I see the R2 around quite a bit. I have yet to pick this movie up though - The last I watched was Visitor Q (fun), and I have Ichi in my "too watch" pile. The R2 version sells the "musical" elements quite heavily, as I recall.

tobaccoman
07-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Well the musical elements are the main drawing point in my opinion. I don't like how, at least the R1 is guilty of this, they highlight it as being a zombie film because as somebody had said earlier, there are only two instances and absolutely no zombie action. I don't know what's all included in the R2 release, but as I said before, the R1 Ventura disc is absolutely incredible.

On another note, Visitor Q is a great flick with many elements, but fun is probably one of the last ones that comes to mind.

maskull
07-20-2005, 06:22 PM
On another note, Visitor Q is a great flick with many elements, but fun is probably one of the last ones that comes to mind.
I don't know. The milk "shower" was pretty fun. :eek1:

dayglo
07-21-2005, 12:42 AM
It's definitely unique, and never boring. I enjoyed it, but am not sure if it would garner a lot of repeat viewing for me. The Navy commander "Richard Sagawa" is awesome in it though. :p