PDA

View Full Version : Best place for Godzilla on DVD?

KillerCannabis
03-09-2003, 09:20 AM
I want to get all 22 Godzilla films on DVD, theres only one problem. I want the Jap. version of the films. I could settle for the US versions if thats all thats out there, but my main concern is that they are in their OAR. Multi-region discs arent a problem, so any link to a good site with them is most appreciated.

mcchrist
03-09-2003, 09:35 AM
The only other versions I know of are the actual Japanese discs, but none of them have subtitles I believe. Your best bet, IMO, is find the old Simitar discs. They are pricey (OOP), but they are in their appropriate OAR. Some of the newer Godzilla movies are in their OAR though. Like the split discs of Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla/Godzilla vs. Destoroyah and Godzilla and Queen Mothra/Godzilla vs. King Ghidora. I think the Destroy All Monsters disc is also OAR. There's also the most recent Godzilla flicks in region 3 (Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (???), and GMK) But the flicks you see floating around in the box set, Godzilla: King Of The Monsters, Godzilla vs. Mothra, Godzilla's Revenge, Terror Of Mechagodzilla... Don't buy the current box set (the one that comes with Rodan) because you won't find OAR there. Look for the old Simitar discs, they are OOP, but definitly worth getting if you can find them. The rest, I can't tell you.

mcchrist
03-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Also, I don't know if Godzilla Raids Again was released on Japanese disc. It would be nice, that movie is hard as fuck to find in any form and is one of my all time favorite kaiju.

Fart Lighter
03-09-2003, 10:41 AM
The "Godzilla and Mothra: Battle FOr Earth/Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah" r1 DVD is pan & scan. Looks like original OAR was 1.85:1 for these two. Simitar's TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA was P&S only too.

KillerCannabis
03-09-2003, 08:06 PM
So far I've managed to acquire:

- King Kong v. Godzilla (R1)
- Destroy All Monsters (R1)
- Godzilla v. Space Godzilla/ Godzilla v.Destroyah (R1)
- Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth/ Godzilla v. King Ghidorah (R1)
- Godzilla 2000 (R1)
- Godzilla: GMK (R3)

I've also got lots of old VHS copies of the original films, including Godzilla Raids Again. I'll check for those Simitar discs and see what they cost. Thanks.

rxfiend
03-09-2003, 11:24 PM
i know where you can get DVD-Rs of some of the jap versions (w/ English subs). PM me and i'll get you the url. The Simitar Discs are all in their OAR except TerrorOfMG. you can find them all for about $10 or so on ebay, except Monster Zero. that can get a little pricey, but well worth it. the Rodan dvd from Classic Media is ok. it's full frame, but then again, that's its OAR. the DAM R1 dvd is also in it's OAR, but has NO Menu or chapter stops?!? crazy. G2k (uncut), GXMegaguirus & GMK can all be found on R3 dvd, and they are in japanese with english subs. there are some HK dvds of a few G films, but they are cropped (not P&S, but rather just has the sides cut off and centers on the middle portion of the film). but, Terror of MG, and GvsMegalon are uncut from those HK dvds. however, if you may want to check out the Sci Fi channel, sometimes they have a G marathon and show beautiful widescreen prints of various G films! also, there's a GvsGigan VCD from HK that is widescreen (eng dub) and looks pretty damn good (especially for a vcd).

Fart Lighter
03-10-2003, 09:16 PM
re: "there are some HK dvds of a few G films, but they are cropped (not P&S, but rather just has the sides cut off and centers on the middle portion of the film). "

Aren't these the Korean releases you're referring to?

moogong
03-10-2003, 10:14 PM
King Kong v. Godzilla is one disc I wish I would have bought before it went oop. It was so cheap, which is the reason I passed it up in the first place. Now, I cannot find it anywhere and I havent heard of another edition getting released. :(

X-human
03-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by rxfiend
the Rodan dvd from Classic Media is ok. it's full frame, but then again, that's its OAR.

IMDb says differently:
http://us.imdb.com/Technical?0049782

Though it may have been filmed full framed and then chopped up for the screen, like the Toxic Avengers were. (though they keep this in mind while filming)

I'll be scooping these up anyways, as the chances of a good release are slim.

rxfiend
03-11-2003, 12:19 AM
it might be korean dvds. i'm not sure. i always see them referred to as HK dvds.

as for Rodan, i'm pretty positive it was full frame. its been discussed on G messageboards about the OAR, and all the die hard fans say it was FF. the original and the second G film were both FF as well.

Senor Igor
03-11-2003, 01:21 AM
HK´s Universe Video released some decent editions, letterboxed (non-anamorphic). They can be bought for extremely cheap prices at www.dvdshelf.com (page in chinese, with a button on the upper left that acess the english language version).

Fart Lighter
03-11-2003, 07:14 PM
According to the Godzilla Fanclub magazine I've got which had at the time a complete list of all Toho monster movies, with alternate versions, running times etc, RODAN was shot in widescreen. I'd guess they know what the'yre taking about, but it wasn't in Tohoscope. Pre-dates that, I think. the first GODZILLA was 'barely' WS, Rodan may have been the same?

Bah...The DVDShelf stuff that's not recent G movies (and available from DDDHouse etc.) are VCD only...Stll, better than nothing.

rxfiend
03-11-2003, 08:01 PM
i heard that Rodan was shot 1.38:1, which is so close to FF that you wouldn't noticed anything missing.

KR~!
03-13-2003, 05:13 AM
The Japanese DVDs are all out efforts as the flims get the 5 star treatment. However, 4 points must be made :

1. You need a region free DVD player to view them
2. They are NOT dubbed (hurray) and have no subtitles (hiss)
3. They cost a arm and a leg to import over to the US
4. Not all movies are out yet.

The DVDs that are released thus far are :

• DVD: GHIDORAH, THE THREE HEADED MONSTER
• DVD: Godzilla 2000
• DVD: Godzilla 2000 Millennium Box Set
• DVD: GODZILLA X MEGAGUIRUS BOX SET
• DVD: Gojira
• DVD: Rodan

rxfiend
03-14-2003, 12:32 AM
KR~! you missed quite a few. i believe all the heisei are released as well as G raids again (whatever the original title is) and KK vs Godzilla. Terror of MG and GvsMG is coming out soon. oh yeah, GMK is out too.

Azathoth
03-14-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by rxfiend
i know where you can get DVD-Rs of some of the jap versions (w/ English subs).

I just recently got KKvsG from one of "those places". Nice hack job on the menus, the subtitles were great, and I didn't really notice that big of a downgrade from a DVD9 to DVD5. Bit expensive for a DVD-R though.

It should also be noted that several other Toho flicks have gotten the DVD treatment in Japan; Frankenstein VS Baragon, The Mysterians, War of the Gargantuas, etc.

SaviniFan
03-14-2003, 04:59 AM
I'd love to get my hands on a dvd of War of the Gargantuas with subtitles.

bloodthirsty
08-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by SaviniFan
I'd love to get my hands on a dvd of War of the Gargantuas with subtitles.

i can hook you up with a DVD-R of that... can you trade DVD-Rs?