PDA

View Full Version : Does Pioneer still repair LD players?

Sam
03-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Yeah, so I may keep my CLD-97 afterall.

Problem: When you try to open the tray, it makes a loud buzzing noise and won't open. The lights function and light up when the power is on.

I was thinking of parting with this bad boy, but if I can get it serviced I may just hold onto it.

Any suggestions? I also may want an AC-3 'put, but I don't want to fool with it myself. Gr.

Paff
03-11-2003, 05:54 AM
Look in the Yellow Pages under Stereo, A/V, or Electronics repair. Look for someone who is Authorized Pioneer Service. Call and ask if they do LD repair. You'd be surprised. A lot of people still work on them. I sent a player to Pioneer back in 98, it took forever to get fixed. Had I known I could do it locally I would have.

As far as the AC-3 mod, I did one on a friend's player. It's kinda fun. Again though, if you don't have an RF Demodulator or a lot of AC-3 discs, it's a waste of time and money (the AC-3 kit costs $75, and you still need to buy a Demod for another $100 or so. $175 minimum is a lot of money especially if you don't have a lot of AC-3 discs.

Sam
03-11-2003, 06:22 AM
I took it to EDI Electronics here, an authorized Pioneer service repair, and the technician couldn't unscrew the player down to where the problem is. A friend and I got to the same stage, and we didn't know how to take it apart and put it back in the same order we started, etc. So it's just a big headache now. I now use the DVL-919 as my primary player, but would love to get this one working.

Keep in mind I'm in Alabama :) . Not a whole lot in the way of Electronics in this neck of the woods.

Admin
03-11-2003, 07:54 AM
You may want to ship it to a fellow named Kurtis Bahr. He's a frequent poster in alt.video.laserdisc. He's an engineer of some sort and fixes players on the side. He's been known to tweak them to the point where they produce better images than when the player was brand new. I can dig up his email if you want it. Only downfall is you have to pay for the shipping, but UPS Ground shouldn't be too much. You just need to pack it very well.

Sam
03-11-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Admin
You may want to ship it to a fellow named Kurtis Bahr. He's a frequent poster in alt.video.laserdisc. He's an engineer of some sort and fixes players on the side. He's been known to tweak them to the point where they product better images than when the player was brand new. I can dig up his email if you want it. Only downfall is you have to pay for the shipping, but UPS Ground shouldn't be too much. You just need to make it very well.

I'd love this info. Thanks!

Paff
03-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I was gonna suggest alt.video.laserdisc

Try posting a question in there too. Only thing is, packing and shipping a CLD-97 has gotta be a pretty serious proposition, no?

That's why I suggested going local first. Of course, I'm probably spoiled since there are a few very reliable LD repair centers in my city.

Agent Z
03-11-2003, 08:56 PM
I imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to find somebody who has the knowledge and skill to fix a LD player (materials needed for the fix may be a problem). I would think that a LD player is similiar in design to that of most cd/dvd players. It would be kind of interesting to check for literature out there for the DIY crowd.....

Dave
03-11-2003, 09:54 PM
Again, Kurtis is top notch and is known to tweak players. Even though I'm a stone's throw away from Boston, where there is no doubt some electronics shop that could repair it, if my player ever has a problem it's going straight to Kurtis.

Sam
03-12-2003, 01:44 AM
I posted a thread on alt.video.laserdisc about 8 hours ago and it STILL hasn't surfaced. Is this normal?

mcchrist
03-12-2003, 03:09 AM
Yep, newsgroups are a pain in the ass. It'll show up, don't fret.