PDA

View Full Version : TV Series

Captain Howdy
02-06-2001, 12:20 PM
One thing I would love to see again - particularly on DVD is the old "Hammer House of Horror" TV Series from the 70's. Don't know what it would be like to see again now but as a kid I thought it was brilliant!!

HammerFANatic
02-06-2001, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the board and the forum, CH! :) I've heard nothing but good concerning these Hammer House of Horror episodes, but have only seen one, that I know of and that was the Peter Cushing episode....Silent Scream, but I enjoyed that and would happily watch more, if given an opportunity.

DVD Connoisseur
02-06-2001, 06:00 PM
The television series was very dark and disturbing. I remember the episode "Silent Scream" - that was one of the less scary episodes. The original series (the second seemed less successful) was very controversial at the time due to its use of violence and sexuality close to the 9.00pm watershed. Some episodes of the series were very haunting indeed.

Captain Howdy
02-07-2001, 07:59 AM
I'm led to believe they were available on LD for a while a few years ago. Certain episodes stick out in my mind. Noteably "The House that Bled to Death" which scared the hell out of me when I was a kid..... As I recall even the intro music and sequence had me behind the sofa.... It's almost worth buying the rights from whoever now owns them and releasing them on DVD yourself.... Now there would be an investment.... hmmm....

HammerFANatic
02-07-2001, 12:53 PM
When was the original series produced? Was that during the ehyday of the studio? I've seen some auctions on eBay for the Frankenstein episode which starred Anton Diffring as the Baron....this is part of that series, correct? That was in the 50's and 60's from what I've read and the second series was in the late 70's/early 80's?

DVD Connoisseur
02-07-2001, 01:01 PM
HammerFANatic, I wasn't aware of any series before those produced in the (late 70s? and) '80s but my knowledge of Hammer is limited. The series in the 1980s were modern horror tales and were criticised by Christopher Lee for being too realistic, I believe. Far from the gothic nature of early Hammer productions, the Hammer House of Horror tales were all set in the "here and now" and were very dark. Evil always triumphed over good, from what I remember. There was no feel good factor with this series.

Captain Howdy (cool name, by the way!), you're spot on about the music. The opening rock track was haunting - I wish I could track down a copy of the single. Superb stuff, as were the opening shots of the mansion amidst the rolling fog and the figure in the window. Very atmospheric.

Diamondhead
02-07-2001, 03:11 PM
The Sci Fi channel reran the entire series when they first went on the air a few years ago, but unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to tape them. Maybe they will rerun them again in the future...

Captain Howdy
02-07-2001, 04:21 PM
I also thought it was all made in 70's/80's. I just found an interesting webpage on this series. It seems that it was all in 1980.

Take a look at:
http://epguides.com/HammerHouseofHorror/

I can only readily remember 3 episodes but I'm sure I saw them all (Merely a babe in arms at the time..... :) )

Captain Howdy
02-07-2001, 04:28 PM
And even better is:
http://freespace.virgin.net/peter.culley/hammerhorror.htm

What a wonderful thing search engines are....

Captain Howdy
02-07-2001, 04:49 PM
Yes, me again....

well all this talk got me on a bit of a mission and basically I'm a happy man. It appears that 6 episodes of this were released on UK-PAL VHS at the end of last year :) (no DVD :confused: )

The House that Bled to Death; The Silent Scream; The Two Faces of Evil; The Mark of Satan; The Witching Time; and Visitor From the Grave

I don't know if the others are coming out but I've been waiting years to see these again. I've just ordered them from www.blackstar.co.uk (http://www.blackstar.co.uk) so I'll let you know if they live up to my expectations. 20 years can do a lot to the impact of a programme.....

HammerFANatic
02-08-2001, 06:35 PM
Your searching is indeed appreciated, CH. It would be nice if these episodes were made available to fans here in the States, as well!

carl.kolchak
02-09-2001, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the links CH, there are some great guest stars in those episodes, I'll be on the look out to see them! :) I wonder if Anchor Bay would be interested in the rights to these? :D

Captain Howdy
02-10-2001, 09:35 AM
Well I received the Videos through yesterday (good service at blackstar.co.uk) and basically sat there for over 5 hours watching them all...sad really but after waiting for so many years....well.... It was a thrill to see them after all this time. I wasn't behind the Sofa this time but I certainly wasn't disappointed. Some great atmosphere, guest stars and stories...Here's hoping the whole series will at some time get an airing on DVD !!! I'd love to see the rest.... :D

HammerFANatic
02-10-2001, 01:08 PM
CH, I know how you feel, certain shows or films don't always hold up as well as we remember them from our youth, but it's also nice to hear that it wasn't a total disappointment for you. :)

I've been informed from another fellow Hammer fan that these episodes are looking to be released on DVD on or around Halloween of this year! I'm assuming this may take place just in the UK, but perhaps they'll be made available here in the States, too! :D