PDA

View Full Version : Orca-The Killer Whale

patmcgahern
03-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Time for my first review then:banana:

ORCA DER KILLERWAL
(Released by Kinowelt)

The Film (A)
Orca is in many words a pure and simple classic, skilfully Directed, Shot, Acted and with a terrific score by Ennio Morricone (in my opinion his best). The film opens with a sensational parody of that other dangerous seafaring creature movie;) and quickly shows us that Orca is king. Orca opened with a lukewarm critical response but did well at the boxoffice regardless. Lambasted as a Jaws ripoff and even though Dino De Laurentis commisioned it as one, the cast and crew made it become so much more. With some great creature effects (and a little gore to boot), and a terrificly maniacal performance by the late great Richard Harris, Orca is and always will be an underrated, unappreciated, underdog classic.

Picture (A-)
The picture is a majestic 2:35:1. Packed with colour and detail this DVD looks greater than the original cinema release.

Sound (B)
The Sound is mono :cry: but if using a surround system the sound still packs a punch.

Overall (A)
A great movie (and even if youre not a fan you have to admit its a damn good way to spend some 89 mins) given a good A/V treatment by Kinowelt (The people who gave us the spec. eds of Cat's Eye, They Live etc.) and although more features would have been welcome, the trailer is suffice. A good disc well worth picking up.

mcchrist
03-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Awesome, Orca is definitly a favorite of mine!

moogong
03-11-2003, 10:12 PM
I love any movie where the killer is some sort of aquatic predator. I loved Orca when I rented it on vhs. I have to hunt this down.

Good review!

R. I. P.
03-12-2003, 01:09 AM
"Orca" was considered by many to be just another "Jaws" ripoff but I disagree completely. There are many unique scenes attributed to this film that stand out, and, in my opinion, are reason enough to view this most under-appreciated film. The final confrontation between Richard Harris and the vengeful whale on the ice is indeed great stuff! :banana:

The DVD will be a definite addition to my library in the very near future. ;)

R. I. P. :glasses:

Grim
03-12-2003, 01:21 AM
Orca is cool. Didn't Ennio Morricone do the soundtrack for John Carpenter's The Thing or is that some one else?

R. I. P.
03-12-2003, 01:25 AM
Hi, MrGrim!

That's another asset to "Orca". Ennio Morricone composed a most beautiful and atmospheric score for this film and also contributed his talents to "The Thing", although the soundtrack to the latter was much more subdued but suspenseful nonetheless. :)

R. I. P. :glasses:

onebyone
03-14-2003, 08:39 AM
I had no clue this was even out on dvd. I LOVE this movie, I would have snapped it up ages ago had I had any idea it was out. So thanks for keeping me in the know.

youthief
01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
It looks like the USA disc is out of print, but there's a seller on Amazon that has new copies of the German release for $5. I got one and it has english audio. The cover is in German but at least they used the original artwork.

dickieduvet
01-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Watched this on Sky HD recently so there is a HD master out there, Hopefully a Blu-Ray soon.

Anthropophagus
01-21-2011, 10:07 PM
It's a favorite of mine for many reasons and in some ways I like it as much as JAWS. Richard Harris, I thought, was tremendous in his role as a modern day Captain Ahab and the rest of the cast, including Bo Derek was great as well.
The small Maritime setting is also very endearing and contributes some beautiful images with the help of some stellar cinematography. The score is very haunting and compliments the films well too, though I wish the music over the end credits would have remained instrumental, the vocals are kind of annoying.
Overall, an underrated classic that I never tire of.

bigdaddyhorse
01-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Watched this on Sky HD recently so there is a HD master out there, Hopefully a Blu-Ray soon.

Was it 2.35, or 1.78? Hate how most channels crop, and don't think I have Sky through Comcast, but like to keep mental tabs on what channels are good.

dickieduvet
01-22-2011, 02:37 AM
It was 2.35:1 and looked stunning. They also show Jaws most weeks which also looks lovely.

Erick H.
01-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Orca is cool. Didn't Ennio Morricone do the soundtrack for John Carpenter's The Thing or is that some one else?

Yes,Morricone scored THE THING,though Carpenter added some atmosphere music of his own.

I like ORCA too.Just saw my DVD of it again over Christmas.That movie is rather nicely shot.Michael Anderson,the director,was just coming off of LOGAN'S RUN (another old favorite of mine).In a strange way ORCA is a bit existential,there's an odd link between Harris and the whale that makes it a strange little movie,certainly more offbeat than your run of the mill ''JAWS knock off".
My Dad took me to see that movie when I was a little boy.Pop had a knack for taking me to see stuff that a young kid perhaps shouldn't be seeing.We also saw Grizzly,The Creature From Black Lake and The Hunger together.Guess he thought I could handle them.Films like those made me the warped freak I am today !
I miss the old man,he was cool.

Ptflea2
01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
When I was a little kid, I used to read "The Golden Turkey Awards" from my dads book collection all the time. As I got older, I tried to see all the movies I could from that book. Orca was one of the most accessible since it was always on TV in the early 90's. Not sure it deserved as much "hate" as it got from critics, cause I sure enjoyed the hell out of it.

Makes me think of a Charles Bronson quote: "I don't make movies for critics, because they don't pay to see movies anyway."

bigdaddyhorse
01-22-2011, 05:21 PM
It was 2.35:1 and looked stunning. They also show Jaws most weeks which also looks lovely.

I should type this in green with envy. They play Jaws on cable HD here all the time, but every fucking time it's cropped to 1.78! I want to see that in HD so bad but refuse to watch it cropped again.
At least Showtime played Fright Night 2 in 2.35 HD not long ago. Showtime is the only HD channel that doesn't "reformat" to 1.78, at least where I'm at.

russweiss
01-23-2011, 02:20 AM
When I saw this film in the theater they were offering this pop-up promo for sale. I haven't seen the film in many years but remember enjoying it.

dickieduvet
01-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Wow, That's nice.

Damage
01-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Glad to see some appreciation for Orca. I've read so many scathing reviews about it over the years, especially how it's just a Jaws rip-off, but I've always enjoyed it.
The fetus scene still freaks me out.

Horrorphilly
01-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Thats awesome man.Pop up killer whales! I shall see this movie soon.

SeanWhen I saw this film in the theater they were offering this pop-up promo for sale. I haven't seen the film in many years but remember enjoying it.

Katatonia
01-24-2011, 09:09 AM
The Paramount DVD is back in stock at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002I832M/)...in limited supply at least.

bigdaddyhorse
01-25-2011, 06:33 PM
When I saw this film in the theater they were offering this pop-up promo for sale. I haven't seen the film in many years but remember enjoying it.

That is among the coolest things ever, do you have one or just find a picture of it? I might try to track one down if they're reasonably priced.

russweiss
01-25-2011, 11:54 PM
I was relatively young when I saw this in the theater but I remember someone (maybe mom) buying this for me in the lobby. I have kept it all these years.

maskull
01-26-2011, 02:59 AM
The Paramount DVD is back in stock at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002I832M/)...in limited supply at least.
Cool. I was kicking myself for not ordering this one before. Glad there are a few left in stock. I just ordered it.

Last time I saw it was when I was a kid. I only remember the beginning and ending of the flick.

John Blythe
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Ennio Morricone's music score for Orca is fantastic. I can't say the same for the film, although admittedly, it is a guilty favorite of mine... Bo Derek's leg bitten off... fantastic!