PDA

View Full Version : Sound Systems

rhett
12-23-2000, 10:51 PM
Hey guys, I just figgured I'd start a new topic asking: what kind of Home Theatre setups you guys have? Right now I have an RCA RT2250 Dolby Digital 5.1 setup but am looking to upgrade to a DTS over the holidays.

------------------
"i spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for i realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply...evil." - Dr. Loomis, Halloween

Paff
12-24-2000, 12:23 AM
Wow....where to start?

My receiver is a Yamaha RXV-395. I use a separate Yamaha DDP-1 Dolby Digital Decoder with that, because it has an RF input for Laserdisc. Finally, my front 3 speakers are Klipsch, with Boston Acoustics for the rears, and an AudioSource 100W Subwoofer.

DVD Connoisseur
12-24-2000, 12:25 AM
My systems looking old thesedays but I'm not upgrading until I move house. I have a Yamaha 2070 which has enhanced pro-logic (told you it was looking old), i.e. the system has front surrounds as well as the standard rears. The main speakers, centre and sub are all pretty cool so I aim to start upgrading at some point with a Dolby Digital 6.1 amp and to change my surrounds. (The truth be known, at the moment I'm having to view late night movies with headphones so I just can't justify any expenditure until I move into a detached home with tolerant neighbours, etc. I envy anybody who can view movies at a theatre-like sound level - these houses in the UK have very thin walls and seem to be positioned very close to one another! On top of that, any loud noises in the night and my wife and son start complaining!

mutleyhyde
12-24-2000, 01:01 AM
All of my stuff is Panasonic/Technics. My player's the A110, which I definitely want to upgrade at some point. It's not bad, but I want multiple disc capacity. I have the Master Reference series Technics receiver with AC-3, and the Technics DTS converter. Also, my speakers are Tecnics; two floor units for the two front channels, then the standard size front/rear speakers, which I bought as a remaider at Sears for $70. I only stray from the Matsushita (Panasonic/Technics parent co.) with my Toshiba VCR. Forgot I had that. Alas, it is to my utter sorrow that I am still without a sub. Maybe Santa will come through.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

chrishicks
12-24-2000, 03:31 AM
I have a Sony STR-925 reciever (DD,DTS) but plan to upgrade to a Denon AVR-5800 after saving for about 3 months plus with Christmas money. My Laserdisc player is a Pioneer DVL-919. My DVD player is the Philips 420-AT. Kinda old. I bought it off of an infomercial when DVD was first starting. I can't wait to get a recordable player but I'm going to wait for about another year at least. Just to let them get out the bugs and hoping the price will fall quite a bit. I had to buy a Kenwood DEM-9991 RF Demodulator for my DD laserdiscs as my Sony does not have an RF in. I just bought a Toshiba 36" tv. My weak link for now is my speakers. I am using speakers from a Pioneer Home Theater in a Box. The sub is a KLH with a 12" sub and a 120 watt amp. Not bad for what I have now but will need a serious upgrade as soon as my new reciever arrives. I also use an RCA Direct Tv system and a JVC S-VHS VCR for recording shows of the dish. Not quite DVD quality but good enough. I think I'm pretty lucky because my wife completely supports all of my purchases and plus she has bought me quite a few things herself.

[This message has been edited by chrishicks (edited 12-23-2000).]