PDA

View Full Version : Brentwood-Fright Night 10-pack

patmcgahern
03-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Ive decided to do a review of one of Brentwoods horror 10 packs for those of you whove experienced one of these 10 packs before should know what to expect, The Good, The Bad, And the downright shitty!

Fright Night Movie 10-Pack includes

-Kill Baby Kill, a good film by Mario Bava is given a quite cheap treatment on dvd, the film is good with a nice suspenseful plot. Overall the film is letdown by an extremely poor a/v transfer that distracts from Bava's usual colorful visuals.

Devil's Nightmare
- If you can survive the cheap softcore opening (presumably from some cable show). The film is a horror cheesefest about tourists being picked off by something quite evil. Enough said.

God told Me to
-A Larry Cohen film that is sometimes strange but compelling viewing none the less. Its the only DVD in the set presented in widescreen. My suspicions lead me to believe that this (like Brentwoods Street Fighter DVDs) is ripped from the laserdisc. The transfer is non-animorphic and seems faded.

Good Against Evil
-Originally a pilot for a TV show, this is a cheap looking effort with Richard Lynch and Dan O' Herlihy. The video is unsatisfyingly crap and some scenes remain unwatchable.

Pieces
-You all know this film. If you donít go watch it. No horror collection is complete without it. And remember, (Cue ridiculous dubbed voice) ďProfessor Brown is a Homosexual!Ē 'Nuff said.

Kiss me Kill me
-The film aint half bad. Suffice to say its not half good either.

Satanís School for Girls
-Cheesy 70ís tvm is quite good and is slightly better than the recent remake.

The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave
-What a title, to bad the movie isnít half as good. Cheesy Giallo about a man being scammed from his inheritance.

Cathy's Curse
-Exorcist remake kind of reminds me of "Shock". This time a young girl is possessed by her evil Aunt. Some good fx. Watch at your own risk.

Ghost
-Stay away from this stinker. Its really awful and looks as though its been put through a meat grinder.

Overall this set is worth the price you might pay for it (I got mine for about $14 shipped). Donít go in expecting the latest THX transfers as you will most definitely be disappointed. The picture quality is grainy and some titles are packed with scratches. The sound (if Iím not mistaken) for each title is mono and its really grinding and crackly at times. Its like a flashback to the Grindhouses of the 70ís and the early video rentals of the 80ís.

Overall 7/10

Coverdale
03-13-2003, 08:49 PM
Don't a couple of these movies have Barbara Steele in them?

I've held off getting this pack because I already have Kill Baby Kill and Pieces, but if there's any Barbara (even if on the crappy films) I will probably give in and buy it.

DefJeff
03-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by patmcgahern
And remember, (Cue ridiculous dubbed voice) ďProfessor Brown is a Homosexual!Ē 'Nuff said.

ive never seen Peices :nervous:

but this makes me want to see it really bad. that would make a great signature for someone on this board.

Suicide
03-13-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by DefJeff

that would make a great signature for someone on this board.

Done!

mcchrist
03-13-2003, 11:39 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

moogong
03-14-2003, 01:22 AM
haha! :lol: :lol:

DefJeff
03-14-2003, 04:32 AM
hahahahahha , that rocks

hell ya!
03-14-2003, 02:59 PM
lol:D

KingCobra
03-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Fright Night
-Kill Baby Kill, a good film by Mario Bava is given a quite cheap treatment on dvd, the film is good with a nice suspenseful plot. Overall the film is letdown by an extremely poor a/v transfer that distracts from Bava's usual colorful visuals.

Fright Night.. Hmm... I wouldn't exactly call this a "good film" but it sure as hell was one of the funniest!!!

"Dinner... is in the Ovvvennn!!!"

LOL!!!

My friends and I have sort of developed our own 'cult' following of it becuase it is just so damn hillarious!

hell ya!
03-19-2003, 08:22 PM
Fright Night is a great movie but its not what he is talking about in this thread.

KingCobra
03-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Hmm... well then I am right confused. Sorry about that.

patmcgahern
03-19-2003, 08:47 PM
I'll try and make it a bit clearer.

patmcgahern
03-19-2003, 08:50 PM
There. That should make it pretty clear we're not talking about Fright Night

patmcgahern
03-19-2003, 08:52 PM
I dont want to sound pretentious. But did anyone actually find this review useful?

DefJeff
03-19-2003, 09:46 PM
well, like i said earlier, i really wanna see Pieces now, so i guess it was useful to me in that aspect :)

you should do more reviews, i liked this one

patmcgahern
03-19-2003, 09:53 PM
I might just do so;)

Suicide
03-19-2003, 09:55 PM
I dont want to sound pretentious. But did anyone actually find this review useful?

I found it useful. The Fright Night set is the Brentwood set I'm leaning more towards picking up one day. I'm interested in several of the movies on the set, it's good to see reviews of them all in one place, instead of hunting them down one by one. I know the version of Devil's Nightmare is taken directly from the Redemption disc, which explains that cheesy softcore opening, it was a "neat bonus" addition I guess. Pretty retarded if you ask me, but funny though.

KingCobra
03-19-2003, 11:09 PM
There. That should make it pretty clear we're not talking about Fright Night

Right-o its clearer now (wasn't that unclear before really... I just read it wrong)

I do think it was useful too :)

Shannafey
05-08-2003, 03:03 PM
I was watching Sisters of Death the other night, and towards the end, a Brentwood copyright statement flashed on the bottom of the screen for a few seconds. Anyone notice this with other films by them? It's the first I've seen, but I've heard about it on other forums. Really pissed me off, since it was during a good part of the film, and basically, I didn't pay to see that!!

patmcgahern
05-16-2003, 04:16 PM
It sometimes comes on at the end of the end credits sequence on most titles. But for some, e.g. House on the Edge of the Park and Christmas Evil, it comes up about 10 minutes before the end and is really annoying.