PDA

View Full Version : The Entity (R2)

Hellbilly
03-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Based on true events, The Entity tells the story of Carla Moran (Barbara Hershey), a mother of three, who one night gets sexually assaulted - raped - by an unseen entity ... and I don't really blame the ghost for doing that because I'll be damned, Barbara Hershey looks utterly hot & sexy in this film! :D Ok, that was kinda idiotic and lame. Scratch that last remark ;)

Anyways, nobody really seems to believe her, not even her psychiatrist Dr. Sneiderman (Ron Silver) whom she seeks out for help since those nightly attacks just won't stop. Sneiderman thinks it's all in her head since Carla confesses that she was sexually molested by her father as a child thus has a history of bad luck with (wrong) men in her life.

The rapes continue until one day she hooks up with a team of parapsychologist who try to help her get rid of the violent poltergeist once and for all ...

As mention above this incident actually happen in 1976 in the city of Los Angeles which is considered the be one of the most unusual scientifically-documented cases so far that left psychiatrists and parapsychologists baffled ...

This film really got to me. Scary, unsettling - I'd say The Entity is truly one of horror's finest movies ever but still kinda underrated and overlooked to this day. It doesn't have any state of the art special effects like seen in "similar" themed ghost films of that time, ala Poltergeist (even though those invisible hands fondeling her breasts scenes are quite impressive) but this film ain't really about special effects to begin with, even though there are a few.

With a running time of 120 minutes the pacing drags a bit here and there and might have that TV feel to it but overall this is a excellent movie. In the wrong hands The Entity could have easily been a laughing matter due to it's subject matter but thanks to Barbara Hershey's outstanding performance (very emotionally AND believable) and Sidney J. Furie's solid direction The Entity avoids most of the usual cliches and delivers a gripping story that keeps you hooked to the very (scary) end.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000647VK.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Fox released this in Germany on DVD last year. It's coded 2 and pal.
This film has aged very well. It hardly looks like it was made in 1981 at all -
The 16:9 enhanced 2.35:1 widescreen transfer is almost flawless. Amazingly clear image, solid blacks and nice colors. Quite a revelation after viewing this film in it's crappy full screen video version for years. Audio includes a neat 4.0 English upmix and a 2.0 German track. Only one US Theatrical trailer as a bonus.
Yup, they're kinda skimpy on the extras but I'm still glad I have this gem on DVD. My rating:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: 1/2 out of 5

shift
03-16-2003, 10:21 PM
Great review! I actually just saw this last night on the MYSTERY Channel once again. I have always been a fan of this film and loved it also!
I give it

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: out of :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

John
03-16-2003, 10:24 PM
I haven't seen this flick in FOREVER. Nice review Hell!! I'm gonna have to go and check it out again.

Hellbilly
03-17-2003, 03:37 PM

moogong
03-19-2003, 01:45 AM
Cool review Helly! :) :)

Zodiac-Mindwarp
03-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Great review Hellbilly!

This reminds of how good i thought the movie was years ago, and glad to hear that it sounds like it has aged well. :)

Hellbilly
03-23-2003, 09:58 AM
It has Zodi. I was impressed on how good this film still looks after all those years. The R2 disc is very recommended.
Shame on Fox for not releasing this in the US :mad:

RyanPC
04-18-2003, 08:02 PM
I also love this film! Great review! :banana: