PDA

View Full Version : DVD Graveyard

mutleyhyde
12-22-2000, 06:31 AM
I think we could really use a graveyard for oop are otherwise hard to get items. The recent rumor frenzy that occurred over NOTLD, of which I inadvertantly took part in, only goes to show that it would be useful. We could have a list of oop titles, along with news of titles in jeopardy. As for rumor control, we could make it where forum members can submit queries or findings to the moderator(s) and, what with the resources available to the moderators, said moderators could check up on the queries before posting any faulty information. At least now I do have Elite's NOTLD in my collection, which I should have had a long time ago anyway, but I sure wish I knew when Maniac Cop and Dawn of the Dead went out of print.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

TobalRox
12-23-2000, 11:10 PM
I totally agree. I've been thinking about that as something to add well before this NOTLD event. I think it should include non-horror as well, because I hate it when I found out later on that something like Sid and Nancy went out of print, and I missed out.

------------------
"It's a spadoinkle day" -Cannibal: The Musical

AIM: TobalRox

Dave
12-24-2000, 12:50 AM
Great suggestion...I'll definitely give it some thought. Though I definitely woudn't do non-horror, as that would be straying from the focus of this site. I'd do some sci-fi stuff and what not, but nothing like Sid & Nancy. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Dave
01-03-2001, 06:13 AM
Guys...I'm going to go ahead and do this. I can't believe I'm seeing people asking $50.00 for Elite's NOTLD DVD, claiming it's out of print. Posting a new bits isn't enough, as now everyone will see it. But having a 'Graveyard' section off the main page is something a lot of people will view periodically.

SOOO, can you guys get me started and list off all the various horror DVDs that are out of print, or ones that you THINK are out of print?

If in question as to whether it's horror or not, just list it. I can decide when I start to build the list.

------------------

Mark Relford
01-03-2001, 07:06 AM
(Six more OOP titles added to list- 1/4/01.)

An American Werewolf in London (Live)
Zombie (AB)
Maniac Cop (Elite)
Jack Frost (Simitar)
Jack Frost 2? (Simitar)
Halloween (AB)
Halloween: LE 2-disc set (AB)
Army of Darkness (Universal)
Army of Darkness: LE 2-disc set (AB)
Army of Darkness- Director's Cut? (AB)
Re-Animator (Elite)
Uncle Sam? (Elite)
Bleeders (Simitar)
They Live (Image)
Prince of Darkness? (Image)
Hellraiser (AB)
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (AB) Note: The Tin's still in print!
Heathers (AB)
Dawn of the Dead: DC (AB)
Salo (Criterion)
Frankenhooker (Simitar)
Day of the Dead? (AB)
Prom Night? (AB)
Seven: flipper (New Line)
The Exorcist (Warner) Note: The 25th Anniversary SE is still in print!
The Exorcist: LE Collector's Set (Warner)
Grandma's House (Simitar)
Bay of Blood (Simitar)
Poltergeist (MGM)

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-04-2001).]

DayoftheRhodes
01-03-2001, 10:21 AM
Also in this page you might want to list the best possible way to obtain some of these OOP gems, considering obtaining these OOP films is a purpose of the graveyard. My 2

Rich

The Chaostar
01-03-2001, 02:54 PM
I tried to purchase DARIO ARGENTO'S WORLD OF HORROR from Amazon but it was on special order. I did ordered it but after a month or so they send an e-mail that stated that they couldn't track down a DVD of it. It's already going on high prices on Ebay...

Mark Relford
01-03-2001, 03:02 PM
Document of the Dead was a pain in the ass to get. I think they're still in print. For some reason, they're not ordering these Synapse titles.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-03-2001).]

betterdan
01-03-2001, 04:24 PM
What about Brain Damage? I finally bought it off ebay for $24.00 because no place had it in stock? Is it out of print also?

Paff
01-03-2001, 04:42 PM
Not 100% on topic, but for those of you looking for Document of the Dead and Argento's World of Horror, (and if you have LD capability), you can find both of those movies on Laserdisc pretty damn cheap. Big Emma's has had quite a few copies lately, factory sealed, for under $10. With those low-budget documentaries, I highly doubt that the DVDs look that much better than the LDs. Just another option for ya there...

roger_d
01-03-2001, 08:15 PM
Hey guys, I need to ask a question about NOTLD. I want to buy the black and white version and the new color verison. Which ones are the best. That is if i can find it. There's so many of them out there. Thanks in advance.

Vdlman
01-03-2001, 08:15 PM
Since Simitar's Frankenhooker DVD is now out of print, I'm hoping that somebody out there is putting together a special edition.

Jason25
01-03-2001, 08:22 PM
Vdlman, I hope you are right. I love Frankenhooker as well as any Frank Henenlotter film. I really wish we would see an SE of Frankenhooker and Basket Case.

Mark Relford
01-04-2001, 01:02 AM
Special editions of Frankenhooker and Basket Case would make my day! Henenlotter had some nice extras for SW's VHS edition of Basket Case. I guess the barebones Image disc will tide me over for now.

roger_d, get Elite's NOTLD. It's the best one out there. Columbia has a decent SE of NOTLD '90.

------------------

jae
01-04-2001, 01:35 AM
How about the R2 Dellamorte Dellamore? I tried ordering it from Sazuma and was told it would be in and shipping around 2 weeks ago, I asked again yesterday and was told it would be another 2 weeks. I read that someone was told by Sazuma that the DVD was out of print and they are having trouble getting it in even though they haven't said anything like that to me.

Dave
01-04-2001, 02:51 AM
jae

I'll see what I can find out from Laser Paradise in regards to DellaMorte DellaMore availability.

roger_d

<A HREF="/reviews/n-z/notld/">Night of the Living Dead '68: Special Edition DVD</A>

<A HREF="/reviews/n-z/notld90/">Night of the Living Dead '90: Special Edition DVD</A>

Those are the <U>ONLY TWO</U> version to get!

------------------

Dave
01-04-2001, 05:00 AM
That's true. Synapse did release it onto LD.

Here's my thinking in terms of LD purchases:

I just bought a CLD-D704 that was used but had very little use. Seems to work great at the moment. I have no backup player.

If a movie is on both DVD and LD, and they're both the same in terms of extras and quality, I almost always buy the DVD version even if I can get the LD cheaper. My thinking is that the less I use my LD player the longer it's going to last. Pioneer isn't going to make replacement parts forever you know....plus it's getting expensive to repair LD players.

I do plan on buying at least one backup player, and I'm also hoping to buy 1 or 2 "dead" CLD-D704 for spare parts. But even then I'm going to be conservative with my LD purchases.

DVD is mainstream. It's going be like VHS, if not more popular. DVD players go for $100.00 now, so I certainly don't mind buying a new one if I have to. With LD it's a little different. New players are drying up, and even the used market is drying up for good players...

------------------

Mark Relford
01-05-2001, 04:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Relford:
(Six more OOP titles added to list- 1/4/01.)
(Update: seven more added)
(Three more added 1/5/01- M. Hyde)
(One more added- Chunkblower5000)
(Two more added- Jeremy & Jason Reynolds)
(Two more added 1/6/01- JBENE)

An American Werewolf in London (Live)
Zombie (AB)
Maniac Cop (Elite)
Jack Frost (Simitar)
Jack Frost 2? (Simitar)
Halloween (AB)
Halloween: LE 2-disc set (AB)
Army of Darkness (Universal)
Army of Darkness: LE 2-disc set (AB)
Army of Darkness- Director's Cut? (AB)
Re-Animator (Elite)
Uncle Sam? (Elite)
Bleeders (Simitar)
They Live (Image)
Prince of Darkness? (Image)
Hellraiser (AB)
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (AB) Note: The Tin's still in print!
Heathers (AB)
Dawn of the Dead: DC (AB)
Salo (Criterion)
Frankenhooker (Simitar)
Day of the Dead? (AB)
Prom Night? (AB)
Seven: flipper (New Line)
The Exorcist (Warner) Note: The 25th Anniversary SE is still in print!
The Exorcist: LE Collector's Set (Warner)
Grandma's House (Simitar)
Bay of Blood (Simitar)
Poltergeist (MGM)
Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn (AB) Note: The Tin's still in print!
Halloween: H20 (Dimension)
Tombs of the Blind Dead/Return of the Blind Dead (AB)
Dead Ringers (AB)
The Stepford Wives (AB)
Needful Things (Polygram)
Succubus (AB)
Cat People- Kinski (Image)
Crimes of Passion (AB)
Dracula- Langella (Image)
Mark of the Devil (AB)
Kiss Me Monster (AB)
Rabid Dogs (Videowatch)
The Serpent and the Rainbow (Image)
Ghost Story? (Image)
------------------

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-06-2001).]

mutleyhyde
01-05-2001, 05:10 AM
Damn fine job Mark, thanks! I'll just add Crimes of Passion. Not horror? Ahh, but it does have Anthony Perkins, and some would consider it a horrifying movie! And just what about those Universal bare bones snapper releases? I, again, don't wish to start rumours, but are they being discontinued? I've recently picked up Silent Running and Dracula (Langella) for ten bucks a piece. I've even seen Cat People on sale for 6.99 at Circuit Shitty. Hopefully, this is a trend, and not a liquidation of discontinued overproduction. I have no problems paying 7 to 10 bucks for a bare bones disc, even if it does come out later as a special ed. By the way, I'd never seen Langella's Dracula before, and I liked it pretty dang good. The transfer could have been a little brighter and colorful, but then that could've been the way it was filmed. It was a very dirty print with constant artifacts, but that didn't distract me too much. The acting wasn't terrific, but the sets were grotesque (the art form, not the verb) and the scenic outdoor shots very grand. And, of course, there was Mr. Pleasance and Mr. Olivier. A cult favorite and one of the old masters together for our viewing pleasure. Not one of their more shining moments, but definitely worth ten bucks! By the way, can anyone tell me why this was rated R? I didn't catch any foul language, and, to my dismay, there wasn't a hint of nudity. There wasn't even hardly any gore, unless you consider the dolly prop they used for a baby (that was weeeak!). What gives?

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Mark Relford
01-05-2001, 05:45 AM
Thanks, M. Hyde! I think they're discontinued. I'll add them to the list.

------------------

Chunkblower5000
01-05-2001, 06:58 AM
Don't forget about Anchor Bay's Mark of the Devil, Mark.

Mark Relford
01-05-2001, 07:30 AM
Thanks, Chunkblower5000 and welcome to the forum!

------------------

Jeremy
01-05-2001, 02:43 PM
I think that Anchor Bay's Kiss Me Monster is gone, too.

Jason Reynolds
01-05-2001, 04:09 PM
It's not really horror, but Videowatch's release of Mario Bava's Rabid Dogs is OOP.

-Jason

roger_d
01-05-2001, 09:50 PM
Thanks Dave for the reply. I appreciate it. I'll try to find them.

Mark Relford
01-05-2001, 10:25 PM
Thanks, Jeremy and Jason! Discs added to list.

------------------

JBENE
01-06-2001, 06:08 AM
Alot of UNIVERSAL/WARNER BROS. early DVD'S are dropping down in price and I assume will go oop.It makes alot of sense because they have no extras and are probably gone be re-released.I know that BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS are gonna get a special edition release.

SaviniFan
06-02-2003, 12:12 AM
I came across this old thread when doing a search and I thought perhaps I'd revive it as I think it sounds like a great idea still. Any thoughts Dave? It's your site afterall and we know how you are very time restrained. It would definitely be an origional idea as far as I can tell.

Grim
06-02-2003, 12:22 AM
RoboCop: Criterion

Damed
06-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Tales From the Crypt - Demon Knight - Universal
Tales From the Crypt - Bordello of Blood - Universal

Universal Classics:

Frankenstein
Bride of Frenkenstein
Wolf Man
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Phantom of the Opera
Dracula (1931)
The Invisible Man
The Mummy

Universal Double Features

THE MUMMY'S HAND/THE MUMMY'S TOMB
THE MUMMY'S GHOST/THE MUMMY'S CURSE
SON OF FRANKENSTEIN/GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN
FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN/HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN
WEREWOLF OF LONDON/SHE-WOLF OF LONDON
DRACULA'S DAUGHTER/SON OF DRACULA

bigdaddyhorse
06-02-2003, 12:48 AM
I think the list should also include the "new, better versions" of OOP titles that have em. That way we'd know what we really need to get from the OOP list.
NOTLD, who cares! The ME is better anyway.
Cat People has a new SE out.
Jack Frost just got re-issued by Ardacy, which looks like a name change for Simitar (not sure, but the cover and disc content are the exact same!)
Platoon and American Werewolf In London both got SE's, does anybody really want the old versions?
Same with Terminator (Image).
All the Universal disc distributed by Image are OOP, so far Cat People is the only one re-issued.
Goodtimes Halloween 2 and 3 are gone. (Universal did re-do 2)
Criterion's Dead Ringers is offically OOP, same as Silence Of The Lambs, Sid and Nancy, Robocop, The Killer, & Hard Boiled.

AB's Zombie got re-done with different back cover, and is still in print as far as I can tell (every store has it).
As for the AB tins still being in print, I have my doubts. Those has a set #, and while a few pop up from warehouses time to time, they aren't making any more. Therefore, I'd list em as OOP.

A few others where the better versions are OOP (thanks FOX, you backwards fucks!)
Big Trouble In Little China
Fight Club
Romper Stomper
ID4
The Abyss
Sound Of Music
From Hell (still easy to find the 2 disc, but it has been replaced!)
Planet Of The Apes (2001, same as From Hell)
All of those had 2 disc versions replaced with single disc. They even took the DTS tracks odd Big Trouble In Little China and Romper Stomper to make room for full screen versions!

Chriztopher
07-19-2003, 06:33 PM
H20 is going OOP

r_burgos2003
07-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Panic Room superbit