PDA

View Full Version : My Review of VERSUS

KillSwitch
03-19-2003, 08:08 PM
Ok... this is the first time I have ever reviewed anything. So bear with me if I super suck. Here goes!

Ok, the first thing we see when VERSUS starts up is some text, talking about how there are 666 portals to hell on earth and in Japan somewhere, there exists the 44th portal. Anyway, it immediately cuts to a zombie being split in half vertically with some nice spraying blood. What follows is one of the coolest openings I have ever seen. The editing is fast during this scene, so if you want to see details, I suggest using the slow mo feature on your remotes.

After this opening, we move into the present day, seeing as these new characters we meet wear prison clothes and the dude from the start are wearing old timers clothes from Ancient Japan. Anyway, we find out they just broke out of jail and are waiting for someone to pick them up and take them away to freedom I guess. Those someone's arrive and they must be gangsters cuz they drive a nice car and motorbike. And the main dude in the lime green shirt looks like a gangster. Anyway, they have a chick hostage or something (on orders from someone that they have to have her there) Shit happens and one of the gangster dudes is killed in a skuffle between the newly released inmates and the gangster dude. No sooner than you can say "holy moly" the one dead gangster guy reanimates and something really cool happens. The inmate and the chick run off into the forest. The gangster dudes wonder what the hell just happened.

Anyway, it turns into a zombie/action/comedy flick. Lots of blood flies this way and that. A head is punched through, limbs are severed from one dude, etc...

Anyway, there is a revelation to this story that occurs about one hour and twenty minutes in that gives some sense to all this madness. I don't want to say, but its actually kind of cool to find out what's shakin here.

I really enjoyed this movie, I have watched it several times and it never gets boring. The acting is pretty good for such a low budget movie. The editing of the action scenes really makes it look better than it actually is. If you think about it in some scenes... if that camera wasn't movin so much, these action scenes would blow chunks. :)

Anyway, this is a good movie. I urge anyone who likes a fun bloody movie and who totally disregard the rules of logic to seek this baby out. Peace yŠll!!

Nick

moogong
03-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Versus rocks. I just wish it would get a R1 release so I can trash my bootleg copy.

Andrew
03-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Yeah I've been wanting to see this for awhile. At HorrorFind I was debating whether to get a boot of this or BATTLE ROYALE, and eventually went with BR (a decision I definitely don't regret). I can't wait to see this though, if it ever gets a good R1 release that is.

mcchrist
03-20-2003, 04:39 AM
I still haven't seen this, but it sounds solid to me!

thrashard76
03-20-2003, 05:21 AM
When is Tokyo Shock going to release this? I heard that this movie is a must own and Killswitch's review above helps solidify my urge to own this. Does someone know of a site that has this trailer there so that I can check it out? ;)

life_o_petey
03-24-2003, 02:16 AM
i usually don't like movies that try to mix action and horror, but this was a lot of fun. Its expensive, and i couldn't find a copy with subtitled extras, but its worth it.

hell ya!
03-24-2003, 02:35 AM
I really want to see this and BR! Come one with the R1 release already:mad:

poorlogic
03-25-2003, 04:17 AM
I just picked up "Down To Hell" dvd which is the orignal, shot on video version of Versus. Director Ryuhei Kitamura had plan to release Versus as Down To Hell 2, but decide to change the title at the last minute. It's shot on video, but Kitamura cut's to a different shot every 5 seconds (Romero anyone?) so it looks great. Basically the same story, just a smaller budget. I'll put up a review after a 2nd viewing.

KillerCannabis
04-02-2003, 12:14 AM
I'm sure its public knowledge by now, but Versus has gotten a R1 release date of July 29th and its going to be sporting a nice anamorphic transfer and plenty of extras in a 2-disc set. Sweet.

thrashard76
04-02-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by KillerCannabis
I'm sure its public knowledge by now, but Versus has gotten a R1 release date of July 29th and its going to be sporting a nice anamorphic transfer and plenty of extras in a 2-disc set. Sweet. Sweeeeet! :D It'll be on my pre-order list no doubt. ;) This is shaping up to be a killer year for DVD releases (minus the Dawn Of The Dead SE). :(

Deaddevilman
04-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Versus is a great movie after one viewing. However repeated viewings only numb the brain. How much chop socky, matrix styled zombie killing action can a brain absorb. They could have at least got a hot chick for the female lead.