PDA

View Full Version : Intruder

Rock
03-21-2003, 07:10 PM
Jennifer, the pretty night cashier at the Culver Lake Super Market, has troubles. During her break one night just shortly after closing, her manager explains to her and the rest of her co-workers that the store has been sold and they will all be losing their jobs. In addition, her ex-con ex-boyfriend Craig shows up at the checkout aisle and picks a fight with her. After a violent scuffle, she and several (mostly male) co-workers manage to eject him from the store...but Craig has no intention of leaving without his girl...and one by one, the unsuspecting night crew, a laid-back group of clowns who spend as much time teasing around with each other as they do flinging meat and produce around and re-stocking shelves, is picked off in extremely gory fashion. Has Craig snuck back inside the store for revenge or is someone else already inside the store perhaps just a little bit pissed off about losing his job?

Filmed in 1988 as NIGHT CREW: THE FINAL CHECKOUT, this, to my knowledge, never received a theatrical release in the U.S. Once Paramount got their hands on it and trimmed most of the gore to receive an "R" rating from the MPAA, it went straight to VHS and LD obscurity. It is now called INTRUDER (the title on the DVD keepcase is NIGHT OF THE INTRUDER) and is available in all its uncut glory as a PAL all-region DVD from Germany's Dragon Entertainment. There are a couple of familiar faces in the cast: EVIL DEAD director Sam Raimi is the butcher who ends up on one of his own meathooks; Alvy Moore and Tom Lester, two old dudes from TV’s GREEN ACRES, show up & disappear early as a couple of stereotypically dumb cops; and Renee Estevez (Charlie & Emilio’s sister) shows us early on what little acting talent she had back then, but the real stars of the show are the special makeup effects by Robert Kurtzman, Greg Nicotero, and Howard Berger, the men behind KNB FX, who prove early on why they moved easily onto such bigger jobs as FROM DUSK TIL DAWN. Their bloody resume here includes a head crushed (popped!) in a trash compactor, another head bisected by a bandsaw, and some extremely convincing stabbings and impalings (while a bit dark in Dragon’s DVD), as good as anything I’ve seen from Tom Savini.

In its truncated form, there is little to recommend and it’s easy to see why INTRUDER went straight to some dusty shelf in the back room of your local Ma & Pa Chang video store…like THE BURNING, it is rather dull and poorly acted in places, full of your typical stalk-n-slash clichés, pranks, and false scares…but put the gore back in, and it’s a completely different viewing experience, plus director Scott Spiegel (co-writer of EVIL DEAD II: DEAD BY DAWN) does have a few subjective camera tricks up his sleeve.

I suspect this will show up sometime soon on Region 1 DVD from Blue Underground or Synapse or perhaps even Anchor Bay…but for now, you’ll need PAL capability to see it, and see it you should, if you’re a true slasher completist.

Andrew
03-21-2003, 07:20 PM
I want to see this so badddddddd...

Atmims
03-21-2003, 08:08 PM
I would really like to see this too! I would go on and buy the Dragon DVD but I know as soon as I did it would be annouced on region 1 DVD. Great review though, Thanks!!

speanroc
03-21-2003, 11:44 PM
i have an uncut japanese prerecord and i love this film.

KNB did the effects which are fantastic.

moogong
03-21-2003, 11:48 PM
*drools*....I need this disc....

Hellbilly
03-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Never seen INTRUDER but it's on my list. Thanks for the great review!

Zodiac-Mindwarp
03-22-2003, 04:32 PM
This is one of those movies that I have been waiting to get my hands on for years!

I really wish that someone would release a R1 version of this.

rhett
03-22-2003, 04:39 PM
This film sounds awesome...I've always wanted to see it. Bring on the R1 release!

KillSwitch
03-23-2003, 03:00 AM
This movie is so much fun to watch. The murders are damn impressive for such a low budget film. KNB rules!! When Sam Raimi bites it... you can't help but cringe. :)
Definitely try to find this movie peoples. I have the Dragon release.

Nick

JRBTempe
03-23-2003, 08:48 AM
Sorry folks...you can pretty much forget about a Region 1 release of INTRUDER, and especially in its uncut form. I tried to nab the rights for Tempe DVD some years ago since I was pretty tight with Full Moon. Sadly, the domestic home video rights are tied up with Paramount and the chance of them ever reverting back to Full Moon is slim to none... :fuck:

Hellbilly
03-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Sad times. So I have to get that R2 disc after all.

bigdaddyhorse
03-23-2003, 07:16 PM
I have the video CD of the un-cut. Great fun, I'll have to get a dvd version sometime soon. Nice to see it widely available in Region 2. When I got the vcd, the only dvds were test copies that were going for $70-100 on ebay!

Andrew
03-23-2003, 08:10 PM
VCD's aren't region coded or anything are they? Cus if not I may have to seek one out. Or maybe I'll buy yours...

bigdaddyhorse
03-23-2003, 10:47 PM
No, they're region free. This one is legit, and NTSC, but won't work on my Toshiba 3109 for some reason.
It plays fine on my other players. I'll let you know if I get a dvd version in the near future.

Andrew
03-24-2003, 12:43 AM
Awesome,. No rush, as I've got tons of stuff to watch (and buy), but if you get around to buying the DVD let me know.

onebyone
03-25-2003, 05:40 AM
The R2 disc is really good, I picked it up on gunner's recommendation and am really glad to have it. It is uncut, gore filled, and even has some of the Bruce/Raimi super 8 films included. If you have a player that will play it, it is worth it.

shift
03-25-2003, 11:07 PM
Kick ass movie all!! U have to watch it. You will never see meat cut the way you see it cut in this movie :D