PDA

View Full Version : The Cell

DVD Connoisseur
01-21-2001, 04:38 PM
Is The Cell the most original horror film of 2000? It certainly was enjoyable and IMHO a lot more entertaining than Hollow Man. I watched it on DVD last night and was impressed. It was like Flatliners meets Silence of the Lambs meets The Lawnmower Man. The movie is very polished (the visuals are superb) but it still has the ability to be creepy on many levels. Was it just me or did the killer (in his mind) remind you of Keith from Prodigy? That cut scene on the discs supplementals was near to the edge, wasn't it?! No way would that have made an R rating!

My only complaint about the disc was that the picture brightness fluctuated - I think this was due to macrovision as I've noticed it on a number of other "studio" DVDs.

Zombie Keeper
01-21-2001, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur:
My only complaint about the disc was that the picture brightness fluctuated - I think this was due to macrovision as I've noticed it on a number of other "studio" DVDs.

I noticed this as well. Not on the Cell, but some other DVD's.

About The Cell though. I can't bring myself to rent it. I'm not convinced that Jennifer Lopez is a credible actor. I think the studio's are just taking advantage of her popularity and are counting on the teenie bopper crowd to see it.

------------------
Zombie Keeper
ZombieKeeper.com (http://www.zombiekeeper.com/)
Horror Movie Reviews, Chat, Message Boards, and more...

DVD Connoisseur
01-21-2001, 07:57 PM
Zombie Keeper, I'd give The Cell a try. Lopez ain't bad..after all, she started out as an actress. Have you see Out of Sight? The singing business is just her (very profitable) sideline! The Cell is IMHO certainly worth renting - I bought the DVD and have no regrets.

Just for interest, which DVDs have you seen this fluctuating brightness on? I've noticed it on the big studio releases so I believe it's somehow linked to macrovision (even though I have my equipment linked to the amplifier rather than through a video). The problematic DVDs I have are Three Kings, Fight Club, A Bug's Life Collectors' Edition and Stuart Little. Oh, I saw a little fluctuation in The Matrix. It's slight but bugs the hell out of me!

[This message has been edited by DVD Connoisseur (edited 01-21-2001).]

fishhead
01-21-2001, 08:11 PM
I was greatly disappointed by The Cell. Many of my complaints about this movie are similar to those I have about The Matrix. Both seem to rely on flashy visuals that, for me at least, got boring real fast. I know some get drawn deeply into the images presented by both films, but, perhaps because neither were "real", I just felt like I was watching a music video that went on way too long.

Further, just as I think Keanu "A carp can act better than I" Reeves was embarrassing in The Matrix, I thought Jennifer Lopez was just not credible in her role. I think Zombie Keeper has a good point about the teeny bopper crowd. In fact, when I went to see it, the teeny bopper crowd was having a great time. They seemed particularly enthralled/grossed out by the intestine pulling scene. Ok, I know I'm jaded (there's just no going back after seeing a pile of muderous intestines fart http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif ) but I really didn't find that or anything else especially creepy or thrilling. Weird off the wall images get old real fast, especially when the director just seems to be throwing in everything in an attempt to be "cool."

Yuck. I'm going back to Silence of the Lambs. Can't wait for Hannibal http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

Oogie Boogie
01-21-2001, 08:23 PM
Yea, The Cell was just a copy off the REAL creepy thillers that were actually well written, like Se7en and Silence of the Lambs. Vincent Diofrio was good, but his role was tired and weak. J lopez, well i lost respect for her as an actress long ago. Her shitfall is obvious. And music video carnage? what a dull concept that is waaay over done.

jeffschmidt
01-21-2001, 08:42 PM
I can see some Silence of the Lambs influence in The Cell (ie. consulting a killer to save a still-living prisoner) but I don't see any Se7en in it. Also, what was tired & weak about D'Onofrio? I thought he was excellent in his dual-role.

fishead, did you hear that Ridley Scott (Hannibal director) didn't like the novel's ending and changed it for the film? It's in an interview in the new Fango, & it says it has Thomas Harris's (the author) approval, but still I'm almost sure I'll be a little disappointed when I see it...

------------------
"I like that satellite TV, Pa!" -Ellie May, Redneck Zombies

mutleyhyde
01-21-2001, 09:27 PM
I didn't like the ending in the book. It was just too unbelievable.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Oogie Boogie
01-21-2001, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by jeffschmidt:
...but I don't see any Se7en in it. Also, what was tired & weak about D'Onofrio? I thought he was excellent in his dual-role.

I never said it had se7en elements, just that it's a better written horrific thriller. AND I never said d'onofrio was tired, i said his role was, i.e. the character. he was good, yes, but the movie was piss poor.

napalm68
01-21-2001, 10:02 PM
The only DVD's I've noticed periodic brightness fluctuations on are Day of the Dead and Summer of Sam. Day of the Dead definitely doesn't have macrovision. I thought it was my player, though - my friend said he didn't notic it on his pioneer.

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

Mark Relford
01-21-2001, 10:38 PM
In my opinion, The Cell was a mixed bag. It had some interesting ideas, but it's been done before. (In the superior, Dreamscape.)
Plus, some of the visuals reminded me of NIN's Closer video. She may be easy on the eyes, but Lopez couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

The Chaostar
01-22-2001, 05:10 PM
The Cell is the best horror movie to emerge from a big studio since the Silence Of The Lambs. Almost a masterpiece. Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Sondherberg have trusted Jennifer Lopez as an actor. Maybe they know better. I hate her singing but as an actor she gets the job done.
I had the chance to meet Tarsem at Venice Film Festival and he told me that he was a lot influenced by Dario Argento and Peter Greenaway. Cool guy.

AceRimRat
01-22-2001, 10:35 PM
I haven't seen the Cell (too many negative reviews has it way down on my list), but here's the thing about Macrovision I found out when I was having that problem...

If your DVD player goes through your VCR (i.e. your TV doesn't have component input) that triggers the Macrovision flicker. That used to happen with my A110, but when I bought a new TV with the A/V inputs and wired it straight in, that stopped.

And I always thought Lopez was a pretty good actress (Out of Sight) and D'onofrio is, well, D'onofrio, so I was looking forward to this one, but put it off when it just got savaged by critics. Maybe I'll have to give it a try - this isn't the first thread I've seen praising it.

DVD Connoisseur
01-22-2001, 11:09 PM
As I've said, the DVD is running through my amp so, theoretically, there shouldn't be any fluctuations. I'm wondering if the use of S-Video leads / output could be causing problems. Anybody know the answer to this or experienced similar. (It could be me being picky but I find this shift in brightness subtle but very annoying.)

I'd certainly give The Cell a rental, Ace. I'd say the visuals are worth the rental price alone. I agree with your comment about Lopez - she was very good in Out of Sight. At the end of the day, she's a competent actress - I think she's given a hard time as a result of her singing career.

JBENE
01-22-2001, 11:30 PM
THE CELL is a terrible film but it does have some cool visuals.Sadly JENNIFER LOPEZ can't act worth shit but it doesn't matter because this story has been done a million times before.The scariest thing about the film was Vincent Dinofrio's hair.Creeeeeepy.

DVD Connoisseur
01-23-2001, 12:10 AM
The Cell is definitely turning out to be one of those "love it or hate it" type of movies. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground for opinion.

On the subject of serial killer movies, anybody know where I can pick up a copy of the Criterion SOTL? I can't believe I didn't purchase a copy when they were around. Excuse me, I'm going for a cry now.....

Paff
01-23-2001, 12:22 AM
I believe there's gonna be a new release of Silence of the Lambs, with anamorphic transfer and everything. It WON'T have the Criterion supplements, but I think after the new one comes out, many of the anamorphiacs will be dumping their Criterion copies, so the price may bottom out a bit.

It's also out on Criterion LD, you might be able to get that a little cheaper (you do have LD, right?)

DVD Connoisseur
01-23-2001, 12:29 AM
Hmmmm, I'd not considered the LD version. That might be the way forward. I must admit, the thing that appealed to me about the release is the audio commentary and the other extras. I'll keep my eyes open.

Still, at least the new MGM release will look pretty (fingers crossed, etc.)

Jaco
01-23-2001, 01:03 AM
DVD Connoisseur,
You are definitely not picky, but your TV may be !
It looks your problem is related with Macrovision. Unfortunately, using your S-Video outputs won't rectify your problem, but you would get better picture. However if proper inputs and outputs are available, by connecting the RGB outputs on your DVD player to your TV set, the Macrovision effect will be gone forever and you will enjoy a much better picture quality.

AceRimRat
01-23-2001, 03:41 AM
DVDCon, I probably will give it a rent at some point. Like most love-it-or-hate-it films, for $3, maybe I'll love it. Lopez is one of those actresses who seems to be getting worse as she gets more popular (remember Mira Sorvino, from Oscar to Replacement Killers... some reviewer wrote that just cause she was dating Tarantino, she didn't have to ACT like him). But who trusts critics anyway?

Sorry I can't shed more light on your Macro problem; could running it through an amp have the same effect as running it through the VCR? I don't use an amp for my video, and never have, so I don't know about that.

mutleyhyde
01-23-2001, 05:17 AM
DVD Con, try SamGoody.com for the Crit SOTL, as I've had great luck with them with stuff that's recently gone oop. They currently have it for 27.95, ships in 24 hrs. Order it and see.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 01-22-2001).]

ctyner
01-23-2001, 05:48 AM
Fishhead compared "The Cell" to "The Matrix", and I think that's rather accurate. I came out of the theater both times impressed, thinking I'd just seen something great, and ready to see it again...only for the second viewing to be an excruciatingly painful experience once the initial 'wow!' factor wore off. I made the mistake of picking up both "The Cell" and "The Matrix", and I'm positive that I'll never watch either again.

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.weirdal.org/me/html/dvd/list.php3) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

Jasondog
01-23-2001, 03:28 PM
I am a very visual person, so I was drawn into the Cell. The film itself is a beautiful piece of art, but the script was rather weak.

Only thing I disagree about here is Jennifer Lopez's acting. I would like to know what movies it is that she DIDN'T do that great in. Her best as previously mentioned is OUT OF SIGHT which is just a great movie all around. Personally, i dislike her singing, but think her acting is far superior to most other singers-turned-actors. JMO anyway.

AceRimRat
01-23-2001, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Jasondog:
Only thing I disagree about here is Jennifer Lopez's acting. I would like to know what movies it is that she DIDN'T do that great in. Her best as previously mentioned is OUT OF SIGHT which is just a great movie all around. Personally, i dislike her singing, but think her acting is far superior to most other singers-turned-actors. JMO anyway.

I think I sort of misstated my point, if you're responding to what I said about her getting worse - if you're not, sorry... - what I meant was, she got some pretty bad reviews for "The Cell," so maybe she's declining as an actress. Everything I've seen her in (admittedly not a lot) she was quite good, particularly "Out of Sight."

DVD Connoisseur
01-24-2001, 12:09 AM
Jaco, thanks for the feedback. I have 2 outputs coming from my amp to the television. The first is a standard output for my video, LD and games console signals, the second is s-video, as I'm using s-video in from my DVD to the amp for a strong signal, etc. The amp seperates the s-video from normal signals and pumps them to the tv seperately. I may have to scrap the s-video leads for the time being if this is what is causing the problems with my temperamental television. A little experimentation is required, me thinks...

Thanks again for all the feedback on The Cell, guys.

Paff
01-24-2001, 12:23 AM
That could very well be your problem there. (and by "amp", do you mean your A/V Receiver? I gave up Brit-speak like "torch" "spanner" and "bonnet" the day I sold my Triumph)

Your amp may not be assembling the S-Video signal properly. And if your telly (like that?) doesn't have S-Video in, there's zero point in using any S-Video connections. Go Composite all the way, and your problem may be solved.

DVD Connoisseur
01-24-2001, 01:13 AM
Paff, don't start turning all Austin Powers on me! The AV amplifier (we call them receivers over here when there's a tuner inserted) was top of the range when I bought it and is not defective, same with the telly. The DVD is also the muts nuts. Normally, DVD picture quality is spot on with S-Video - what seems to be happening somehow with just a handful of "studio" titles is the macrovision (I can't think it can be anything else) is somehow appearing, but only slightly. It's all very strange. I've read posts elsewhere about this where people claim to be able to tell a macrovision release a mile away and I guess it could be down to a combination of factors. Time will tell. If anybody spots this lightening / darkening of image on this title or any others, please let me know so we can compare notes. Thanks again, everyone. At this rate I'll be starting the DVD Connoisseur Clinic - I might just book myself in at this rate....

DVD Connoisseur
01-24-2001, 01:21 AM
I've just read elsewhere that an AGC in my television could be causing the problems. Apparently, AGCs (?) are in video recorders and this is what activates the macrovision effect. This is all double dutch to me (my knowledge of electronics ends with wiring up a plug) so if anyone can explain this to me, I would be most grateful.

Jaco
01-24-2001, 02:18 AM
DVDCon, Macrovision works due to the differences in the way VCRs and TVs operate. The AGC (automatic gain control) circuits within a TV are designed to respond slowly to change; those for a VCR are designed to respond quickly to change. Macrovision takes advantage of this by modifying the video signal so that a TV will still display it properly, yet a VCR will not record a viewable picture. Your TV's AGC may be out of spec, so its response may be too quick and as a result the undesired brightness (gain)changes can occur.
Depending on its design, your amp may have also some kind of an AGC built in and I would first try connecting the S-Video or composite outputs "directly" to the TV before considering anything else.

Jasondog
01-24-2001, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by AceRimRat:
I think I sort of misstated my point, if you're responding to what I said about her getting worse - if you're not, sorry... - what I meant was, she got some pretty bad reviews for "The Cell," so maybe she's declining as an actress. Everything I've seen her in (admittedly not a lot) she was quite good, particularly "Out of Sight."

Well admittedly there wasnt a hell of a lot of real ACTING going on in The Cell cause the script was weak as hell http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

Lindane
01-24-2001, 09:26 AM
I feel the same way about this film that ctyner does. When I saw this movie in the theatre I thought it was pretty nifty, but when I rented it I thought It sucked. The only thing good about miss Lopez in this movie is that wonderfull ass shot of her looking in her fridge!!! The director knew this too, as you will notice it was a pretty long shot! Although, the film will be worth shoplifting from one of my many local grocery stores. "shoplifters of the world unite and take over" DVD prices are just too expensive. Yes even when compared to laserdiscs.