PDA

View Full Version : Category III review THE UNTOLD STORY

slinker
03-23-2003, 07:32 AM
I rarely do reviews but i just watched this again so i thought id pitch in a give it a whirl.....

Tai Sengs DVD of THE UNTOLD STORY
Directed by Herman Yau Region ALL NTSC.

I thought id start with one of my favourite slices of Asian mayhem and one of the first infamous category III films I had the fortune to view……

Anthony Wong takes the lead as the present owner of The Eight Immortals Restaurant. From the outset we realise he is a very violent, sadistic and edgy character who seems to think the whole world is against him and owes him a living. We are treated to a vicious beating and torturous death and the films only been running a few minutes. A body is found in the sea, which kicks off a police investigation where they discover a link to the restaurant. This is where we get a sample of humour and black comedy to soak up the sense of impending violence which we know is going to happen every time Wong falls out with someone, which is most of the time he is onscreen! The police are a useless set of goons which spend most of the time bickering and chasing skirt. Chief Inspector (Danny Lee) arrives on the scene , always with a new hooker girlfriend and leads these bumbling idiots to investigate. By the time we have introduced the police Wong is up to his old tricks again and aptly takes care of a co-worker who accuses him of cheating at mah jong. This is where the restaurant really takes a sinister edge and creates this slaughterhouse feel as Wong finds the best and valuble way to dispose of his victim is to chop him up with a meat cleaver and serve him to his customers. The cops arrive at the restaurant and a new employee is quizzed over the original owners of the restaurant, she gives too much away and is treated to a horrendous assault and rape by the murderous Wong. The cops turn up again and decide Wong may not be telling the whole truth, what follows is basically the end of the police investigation with the suspect in custody and the realisation of `The Untold Story` about what actually happened to the original owners of the Eight Immortals.

I will always remember this movie as it has one of the most shocking and hard to watch scenes ive ever witnessed in a film of this kind. A whole family including many children are butchered and killed off in a despicable attack of intense savagery, I really mean it when I say that because it really is that bad! Given this I would have to say `The Untold Story` is still the most violent and sadistic category III film ive managed to watch, and ive seen a lot. Anthony Wong gives a terrific performance as a totally repulsive monster, who has no regret or care in the world for his actions. The rest of the cast are nothing special although I must give a nod to the poor actress who was involved in the nasty rape sequence, she deserves some credit for actually agreeing to act in this scene! All in all it’s a nasty affair with a lot of violence and cruelty with a dab of humour here and then.

The print is a 1.85:1 non-anamorphic widescreen release and looks pretty good mostly. Nice and colourful and no real noticeable grain or pixilation. The subtitles are easy to read and yellow (not in white on a white background!) It is completely UNCUT of course so you know what your letting yourself in for.
There are 2 commentary tracks one from the director Herman Yau and the other from the star Anthony Wong, these are fairly informative but there is sometimes a large gap between the speech. Aside from that there are lots of trailers for other category III films particularly ones that Anthony Wong is part of and the package/ presentation is very good for this type of release ( although there is no inner card )

On the whole I would say this is a solid release and it certainly does justice to this infamous film, fans of category III and Anthony Wong will absolutely love it as it really does deliver the goods.

Movie : 4/5

Disc + Extras : 4/5

mcchrist
03-23-2003, 10:03 AM
Untold Story is a very very very nasty film, and Wong is probably Asia's David Hess! I remember watching that shit and nearly crapping my pants! Great double feature with Ebola Syndrome BTW.

patmcgahern
03-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Hmm. I might have to track this one down!

DefJeff
03-23-2003, 02:44 PM
haha, i love the way you describe it as "a dispicable act of intense savagery" hahaha, im gonna have to use that line sometime.

seriously tho, great review, this movie was pretty cool and Anthony Wong does play a mean scumbag. Ebola Syndrome on the other hand, let me down pretty bad.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
03-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Great review.

One of the first movies from Wong that I ever saw, and still one of my very favorites.

A KICK ASS MOVIE!

Atmims
03-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Untold Story is one of my all time favorites and I wasn't let down a bit by Ebola Syndrome. :D I would have gave Untold Story a 5/5 though since it really can't get any better. :)

DVD Connoisseur
03-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Great review. This is one of those films that I was really nervous about watching due to its "reputation."

The subject matter's certainly grim, and the plot does stray into taboo areas, but thankfully the "comical cops" bring some cringe inducing humour to the proceedings. Not as psychologically draining as Funny Games but strong stuff compared to the average Western horror movie.

Recommended.

Trout
03-29-2003, 08:55 PM
The bun making scene actually made me hungry.