PDA

View Full Version : Combat Shock

Mark Relford
03-24-2003, 12:28 AM
"I go back there every night..."

Plot: Frankie (Ricky Giovinazzo) is a down on his luck Vietnam vet with a nagging wife and a freakish Agent Orange baby. Poverty, scumbag dope dealers, nightmarish Nam flashbacks- it's just an average day for this poor soul. But how long can a man wade through ugliness and desperation before he snaps?
Combat Shock is a very depressing and downright nihilistic movie. There's hardly a moment of happiness in Frankie's life. Prepare yourself for the last fifteen minutes of this movie. The unsettling images will stay with you. Ricky G. gives an accomplished performance. He's a walking timebomb in a hostile world. Gorehounds shouldn't be disappointed. This movie features mutilated bodies, bloody gunplay, and the infamous junkie with a coathanger scene. It's fun for the whole family!:D

Video/Audio: The tranfer's pretty decent for this type of no budget movie. I wasn't expecting a pristine transfer from Troma. There's grain, but it's a step-up from the old Prism VHS. The audio comes in nice and clear.

Extras: The best extra on the DVD is the fun commentary by director Buddy Giovinazzo and Jorg (Nekromantik) Buttgereit. They talk about their first movies and DIY moviemaking. Buddy tells an amusing story about building a torture hut in his mom's backyard. Great stuff!
The next feature is a shitty stills gallery. I can just pause sections of the movie and get the same effect.:D
Trailers for Combat Shock, Rabid Grannies, Nymphoid Barbarian in Hell, and Cry Uncle are included.
Also, there's a very brief interview with Buddy. It's nothing to write home about. You can get the same info and more from the commentary.
There's a segment called Cooking with Jacques. He teaches you how to make (Are you ready for this?) Chicken Ala Charlie. I was in stitches.:rolleyes:
You want more? There's a shitload of the usual Troma propaganda to overdose on.

This movie is a rough ride, but it's worth checking out.

Movie: :banana: :banana: :banana:

DVD: :banana: :banana:1/2
------------------------------------------------------------
Other recommendations:

Life is Hot in Cracktown by Buddy Giovinazzo

No Way Home: http://www.us.imdb.com/Title?0117194

mcchrist
03-24-2003, 12:54 AM
This is a great movie, but as you said it is a Troma disc, and that is unfortunate. With each day I feel closer to popping Lloyd's head off his shoulders like a zit.

Atmims
03-24-2003, 02:53 AM
I though Combat Shock was a cool movie and is worth viewing. I pretty much fully agree with your review Mark. I really don't know what to think of Lloyd... I use to like Troma but all this Intentional cheesiness and becoming a parody of themselves is a turn off.

slinker
03-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Yeah nice review, i like this movie, its soo gritty and depressing its like a weird cross between Eraserhead/Death Wish. Definately one of the best Troma releases, and i agree that commentary is a good one :) Combat Shock is cut to ribbons over the pond here by our beloved protectors the BBFC, so im glad this Unrated Troma disc showed up :glasses:

thrashard76
03-24-2003, 08:39 AM
Nice review Mark. :D Yet another movie I hadn't heard of...of course. :lol: Why is it that Troma gets so much stick with their releases? I ask because I don't own any of their DVDs but am interested in pick a couple up. Them being: Terra Firma, Bloodsucking Freaks and maybe this one. :evil:

bruce h
03-24-2003, 09:40 PM
The Troma DVD is still missing footage. Surprisingly, their VHS release is intact.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
03-25-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by bruce h
The Troma DVD is still missing footage. Surprisingly, their VHS release is intact.

Can you tell us what is missing from the DVD?

Thanks in advance :)

Mark Relford
03-25-2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by bruce h

Giovinazzo mentions on the commentary about Frankie's final breakdown being trimmed for the better. (The flashbacks on his face scene in Chapter 8.) It played out longer in the original cut. Would this be the missing footage? Or is there more?:(

Thanks for the kind words, guys.:) This review was fun to do.

Mark Relford
03-25-2003, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by thrashard76
Why is it that Troma gets so much stick with their releases?

I can't stand Kaufman's annoying intros to the DVDs, but they're easy to skip. They claim to have more interactive features than any DVD on the market. That might be true, but some of 'em are product advertisements.:D I did enjoy Kaufman's book and his commentary for The Toxic Avenger.
Buy some, Thrash. It's always nice to have a few Troma titles in your collection.:)

DefJeff
03-25-2003, 05:19 AM
Thrash, you should scratch off Terror Firmer from your list, it was awful.

Replace it with Toxic Avenger part 1, or better yet, the Tox Box, since its such a good value.

Andrew
03-25-2003, 05:42 AM
I have to second that. TERROR FIRMER is one of the worst movies I've ever had the displeasure to watch. It's gross but not in a "whoa cool!" way, just unnecessarily stupid. I hated it, and returned it 5 minutes after I finished it (I bought the DVD). THE TOXIC AVENGER, however, rocks. I still haven't picked up the DVD, but that's more due to the fact that I can't decide whether to get the single disc or the Box (I haven't seen the sequels, and don't know if I will hate Troma and just like TA or if I hate TF and will like Troma...ah well).

thrashard76
03-25-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by DefJeff
thrash, you should scratch off Terror Firmer from your list (it was soo awful) and replace it with Toxic Avenger part 1 (or better yet, the Tox Box, since its such a good value) Yeah, I'd seen the soundtrack for Terror Firmer and it looked cool with some metal bands jumping in there. ;) But if its that much of a piece of shit then I'll skip it and go for the Tox Box and of course Bloodsucking Freaks. ;) :D

Atmims
03-25-2003, 05:13 PM
I don't know Thrashard, I bought Terror Firmer for $10 and I found some entertainment out of it. I can see why other people say it sucks complete ass but if you don't take it seriously It's funny at times. Give it a shot if you can get it for around $10. Also Thrash, if you buy the ToxBox from Troma.com you can get it signed by Llyod, not that his signiture is worth a shit though.

bruce h
03-25-2003, 11:02 PM
Troma’s COMBAT SHOCK “Director’s Cut” VHS release runs 98m 54s. Their “Director’s Cut” DVD clocks in at 91m25s, and is the same as the old U.S. Prism Video release (the Prism release was even further trimmed in certain areas of Canada). It’s also worth noting that the Troma VHS unfortunately stops before the end credit music is finished playing, which is allowed to run full length in the DVD.

The extra footage is spread out all over the place, but the majority of it is dialogue and scene extensions near the beginning. Towards the end, the face-projected flashback is longer and there’s more spoiled milk drinking. The only additional gore I noticed were two shots of the oven leaking a viscous brown fluid during the climactic baby bake. These shots can also be seen in the trailer that’s on the DVD.

I should also note that there’s a cut of this film on the bootleg circuit under its original title, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE. This third edition apparently doesn’t contain the stock footage of Vietnam spliced into the film.

Mark Relford
03-26-2003, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the info. I need to check out that VHS.

thrashard76
03-26-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Atmims
I don't know Thrashard, I bought Terror Firmer for $10 and I found some entertainment out of it. I can see why other people say it sucks complete ass but if you don't take it seriously It's funny at times. Give it a shot if you can get it for around $10. Also Thrash, if you buy the ToxBox from Troma.com you can get it signed by Llyod, not that his signiture is worth a shit though. Well I may still reconsider picking up Terror Firmer but for now there are so many other DVDs to get that this one could very well get lost in the buying frenzy. The Tox Box still sounds good to me so its near the top of my to-get list. ;)

Suicide
03-26-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by thrashard76
Well I may still reconsider picking up Terror Firmer but for now there are so many other DVDs to get that this one could very well get lost in the buying frenzy. The Tox Box still sounds good to me so its near the top of my to-get list. ;)

I'll trade you my Terror Firmer if you want it.:D Anyway I actually think it's the better of the two between Toxic Avenger and Terror Firmer, although I'm not a big fan of either. I don't know, but Toxic Avenger was very annoying to me. I finally just saw it a few months ago, and I really didn't like it. Toxie's "blind" girlfriend was hot though. But Toxic Avenger is probably a better starting point if you aren't too familiar with them.

Grim
03-26-2003, 03:24 AM
I liked Terror Firmer. Cheesy, graphic violence, gratituous nudity, foul language, and sgt. kabukiman nypd, all the ingredients for a great troma movie! But that's just me, see if you can find a vhs somewhere, or the dvd to rent and try it out, you never know, you might just like it.