PDA

View Full Version : Story Of Ricky - UK version worth getting?

bwana the clown
03-24-2003, 04:12 AM
I've heard so much about this, but having never seen it I've been putting it off till someone had it on sale.

Anyway Bensons World now have it at a reasonable price:

http://www.bensons-world.co.uk/dvd/products/7/7000000073499.asp

Can anyone tell me if this disc is worth getting, is it uncut, etc, etc?

Thanks!

Hernster
03-24-2003, 04:51 PM
I have this.

I don't actually like the film, but extra's wise, it's the ususual Feature's packed stuff from HKL.

The Commentry is excellent, and there's an interview with the star which is about 20 min's long is very imformative.

If you like this sort of film, it's an essential purchase, IMHO.

bwana the clown
03-26-2003, 01:05 AM
Thanks, man. I've decided to take a punt and buy the sucker while it's cheap. Hopefully the movie's a little more to my taste (and by all accounts, it should be) than it is to yours.

mcchrist
03-26-2003, 02:17 AM
Story of Ricky is just peachy. I dig it, the anime was kinda cool too.

KillerCannabis
03-26-2003, 03:23 AM
Hmmmm..... didnt know there was an anime version out there. I love this flick. I've got the R1 edition and really want a new copy with a 16X9 transfer and some decent extras. Maybe I'll have to order this version.

bwana the clown
04-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Well, it arrived this week, and I watched it last night.

Great fucking stuff!!! I've been disappointed by a lot of 'sight-unseen' purchases before, but this one's a big exception.

Lots of gore (albeit pretty cheap looking), fast paced, and no tediously overlong martial arts fight sequences. The quality of the disc is pretty damn good, too!

Biggest disappointment <Spoiler> : I so seriously wanted to see that warden's son get mutilated in some way, but he just went off with some guards and fucking disappeared!! <End Spoiler>

Hernster
04-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Bwana;

That's what dissapointed me about the film. The gore. I'd read so much about it, and I was expecting so much more.

:(

TobalRox
04-12-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Hernster
Bwana;

That's what dissapointed me about the film. The gore. I'd read so much about it, and I was expecting so much more.

:(

More??? Wow, I can only imagine what you came up with in your mind since this and Dead Alive are the two goriest movies I've ever seen. Anyway, my disc came in too, and although I haven't had time to watch all of it, I did see a part of it to test the disc, and it's a MAJOR improvement over the R1 DVD (which basically looked like a sharper version of the VHS). Great disc, and a great price, I'm definitely getting more from Bensons. Luckily, HKLs are finally coming to America soon :D

Fart Lighter
04-12-2003, 10:53 PM
last tme I visited, HKL were doing all thier DVDs for 10 from thier website. www.hongkonglegends.co.uk

bwana the clown
04-13-2003, 11:22 AM
I admit there wasn't quite as much gore as I expected from all I'd heard. There were a few effects that I would have liked to see the camera linger on a bit longer, but I guess with the quality of the effects that wouldn't be such a great idea.

But it's still pretty damn bloody, and just the totally ridiculous, over-the-top nature of the effects is what won me over.