PDA

View Full Version : "mad love" with peter lorre

marioscido
03-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Has anyone seen this 1935 gem directed by the great Karl Freund? I saw it for the first time this week and loved it. I am presently doing a little bit of research on Paris' famous Grand Guignol theater, and was told by a guy at the 'Thrillpeddlers' site (a San Francisoc-based theatre troupe that puts on Grand Guignol plays in English every Halloween!) that "Mad Love" reproduces the GG theatre in the film. So, I was curious to check it out and was happy to find a great horror classic in the GG style.

Peter Lorre, in his first US role, is absolutely wonderful. Colin Clive is also in the film - the same year he did "Bride." The film is creepy, a little campy, but mostly it is visually stunning. The cinematographer was Gregg Toland ("Grapes of Wrath" & "Citizen Kane") and the look is reminiscent of German expressionism, with a hint of gothic elements thrown in.

An important film in the history of horror and a must see for the fans of the genre.

mutleyhyde
03-28-2003, 07:46 AM
Sounds great Mario! Lorre and Clive, and Freund and Toland to boot? Yeah, that's right up my alley. I've been on an early Lang kick lately, watching the films (Metropolis, Die Nibelungen, M, etc.)and reading this biography of Lang too. All these guys ran into one another at some point or other. Was this on dvd, or tape? It sounds sweet. http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

marioscido
03-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Unfortunately mutley, it isn't out on dvd yet - like so many of the films we love from that period. :cry: The tape I saw was put out by MGM, and the quality was decent. I looked for the dvd in other regions as well, but no luck.

mutleyhyde
03-29-2003, 02:23 AM
Dang. Well, maybe I'll try to find the tape... I think my VCR still works. ;)

Blackwood
07-25-2004, 04:01 AM
To find out more about "Mad Love" the Grand Guignol and Grand Guignol inspired films check out Thrillpeddlers website www.GrandGuignol.com. I know of three movies, including "Mad Love," that are based on Maurice Renard's novel "Hands of Orlac."

This Fall, Thrillpeddlers will be producing a one-act that Renard wrote for The Grand Guignol in 1925, "L'amant de la mort" (The Lover of Death) for "Shocktoberfest!! 2004: Welcome to the Hypnodrome.". Like Orlac/Mad Love, Renard's fixation is on hands: damaged, reanimated hands and the hands of an artist.

For more information about the production, go to www.HYPNODROME.com.

Cheers!
Russell Blackwood
Thrillpeddlers

marioscido
07-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Does Thrillpeddlers ever tour? We have a great little alternative theatre fest here in Montréal, called The Fringe Festival, which would be perfect for a Thrillpeddlers Grand Guignol production. I'm sure it would be popular. "Evil Dead: The Musical" is in town now and its doing quite well. It's the closest thing I've seen to GG theatre - minus the singing.