PDA

View Full Version : The Reptile

dwatts
03-30-2003, 11:38 AM
This is the second old Hammer movie I paid too much for - and watched this weekend.

I last saw this when I was a kid, and I don't remember it being very good, but what the heck.

Well, having just watched it, I must admit I was wrong. The Reptile is a very good film indeed! None of the usual hammer players star here, mostly unknowns - but the essence of Hammer is intact.

The reptile itself is actually - erm - sexy in a way! Tall, long legged girl turning into a horror. The makeup is great, the script tight - even if the locations are somewhat limited.

Glad I have this one. Transfer is good - and worth every damn penny I paid for it :)

betterdan
03-31-2003, 12:23 AM
I liked this one too especially when I got it for $4.99 from Suncoast a while back:)

Andrew
04-01-2003, 02:01 AM
Ah I really wish I snagged this when it was cheap. As it is though, I doubt I'd shell out $19-20 for it. Oh well, maybe the Suncoast bargain bins will return? :bs:

mcchrist
04-01-2003, 03:14 AM
Yeah... :bs:

The bargain bins Suncoast had going for a while was probably the best DVD purchasing moment in my life. Even Dwarves Started Small, Shock, NY Ripper, Mark of the Devil, Day of the Dead, Dracula: Prince of Darkness, Plague of the Zombies, Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires... All for $2.99, I didn't see Reptile there though. I would have snagged it if I saw it. Reptile is a great flick, I wouldn't mind having it on DVD. If Suncoast ever has a sale like that again, I'm cleaning them out!

Shannafey
04-01-2003, 03:21 AM
I got mine at Suncoast, but ending up trading it on the forum. I, personally found the film quite boring. I recently watched The Ghoul in my Brentwood set, and that sort of felt like a remake of Reptile. It has Peter Cushing and John Hurt in it.

mutleyhyde
04-04-2003, 09:40 AM
The film is boring, because of the pace, but it's got great atmosphere, acting, story, camerawork, set pieces... it's a favorite.