03-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Here are the films I have still to get from this collection:

The Abominable Snowman
Frankenstein Created Woman
The Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires
Rasputin The Mad Monk
Scars Of Dracula
To The Devil A Daughter

Does anyone know anything about these other ones? I have a yearning for the gothic horrors and sci-fi movies, but are these any good?

Demons Of The Mind
Fear In The Night
Four Sided Triangle
Hell Is A City
Shatter
Straight On Till Morning
The Vengeance Of She
The Viking Queen

maybrick
03-30-2003, 02:05 PM
Demons of the Mind is worth getting. I'm not sure about Fear in the Night... I think it's supposed to be alright. The others are really for Hammer completists only. None of them are worth buying IMO. Rent them if you can.

MaxRenn
04-01-2003, 06:36 PM
I've seen "Abominable Snowman" but not on DVD. It's not your typical monster or Hammer movie; the script is by Nigel Kneale who did all the Quatermass stories and focusses more on the human characters and some mythology/history of the Yeti. I hesitate to recommend buying the DVD but I enjoyed the movie. Great locations and the usual Peter Cushing reliable performance.

mutleyhyde
04-04-2003, 09:33 AM
The Abominable Snowman - great flick, and looks great on dvd.
Frankenstein Created Woman - a must, one of my favorites
The Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires - it's good, but for the diehard. I mean, it's got Cushing, but it's a hodgepodge of a movie. It's really hit and miss with people, so I'd say pick up these others first, unless you're all about bad kung fu movies... then this is right up your alley.
Rasputin The Mad Monk - get this now or I will never address another of your posts... ever. Hell, I might even ban you. ;)
Scars Of Dracula - It's Lee, it's Dracula... get it. :)
To The Devil A Daughter - I never dug this when I was younger, as I felt it was too slow and there didn't seem to be much of any story. I need to pick it up and watch it now as an adult to make any good judgment call on it.

Demons Of The Mind - never seen it
Fear In The Night - never seen it
Four Sided Triangle - I was surprised. It's quite well done, but very odd as a Hammer film. I recommend it, but keep an open mind.
Hell Is A City - never seen it
Shatter - pretty bad, but fun :)
Straight On Till Morning - never seen it
The Vengeance Of She - nice knockers, bad movie
The Viking Queen - pretty, scenic film, nice knockers again, bad movie

I got some catching up to do. :(

Behemoth
04-09-2003, 03:00 PM
"Straight on Till Morning" is pretty disturbing. I liked it a lot.

"Fear in the Night" was a bit slow moving, with lots of plot twists. If you're a Peter Cushing fan I'd recommend it, but it's not one of Hammer's greatest achievements.

"The Viking Queen" is pretty bad.

I don't remember much about "Four-Sided Triangle", except being pleasantly surprised by it.

"Rasputin" is great! One of Christopher Lee's best performances.

"Frankenstein Created Woman" is IMO one of the best of the Hammer Frankensteins. It's very different from the others, and I liked that.

"The Abominable Snowman" is pretty good. I don't remember all that much about it, though.

"Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires" sucks (pun intended). For Peter Cushing/Hammer completists only.

"To the Devil a Daughter" is a good film, an I have no problems recommending this. Christopher Lee is excellent in this one.

JW77
04-09-2003, 08:53 PM
"To the Devil a Daughter" isn't really like the period Hammer films, it was more of an attempt to make a contemporary religious horror film like "Rosemary's Baby" or "The Exorcist."

It has Christopher Lee playing a devil-worshipping priest, Denholm Elliot, Nastassja Kinski, and Richard Widmark. Good cast.