PDA

View Full Version : What is category 3 films?

drown021
03-30-2003, 09:03 PM
Are they a genre,film company? what? They are suppossedly really violent etc,but what are they? for example Dr.Lamb.
I really have no clue.

aoiookami
03-30-2003, 09:24 PM
chinese (maybe korean too, dunno) have a rating system that is divided into 3 categories, 1,2 and 3, and each number has A or B beside it (sometimes it dosent) so like 1a would be suitable for everyone, while 2b would be for mature audience. so category 3 is for the most part very violent and sexual (ie. Dr Lamb like you mentioned)

drown021
03-30-2003, 09:27 PM
gotcha,thanks for explaining it.I always read category 3..violent gory,etc.It's a rating system.You rock.

K'
03-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by aoiookami
chinese (maybe korean too, dunno) have a rating system that is divided into 3 categories, 1,2 and 3, and each number has A or B beside it (sometimes it dosent) so like 1a would be suitable for everyone, while 2b would be for mature audience. so category 3 is for the most part very violent and sexual (ie. Dr Lamb like you mentioned)

I have some small corrections:

It's not the general chinese rating system, it's only used in Hong Kong.
Valid ratings:
Category I -- Suitable for All Ages
(The main criteria is that Category I movies should not contain any stuff that involves violence, sex or impressions that are not healthy for children.)

Category II A -- Not Suitable for Children
Parental Guidance is expected for Category II A movies. This category is similar to "PG-13" in the States and "12" in UK.

Category II B -- Not Suitable for Young Persons and Children
Cat. II B movies can contain scenes of violence and sex. In addition, they may be not suitable in nature due to reasons like political and foul languages. Parental Guidance is also expected for Category II B movies. This category is similar to "R" in the States and "15" in UK.

There are also some movies which carry a Category II rating without an A or B, those were rated before CAT II were split into II A and II B.

Category III -- Aged 18 or Above
Category III movies are restricted for audiences aged 18 or above only. Audiences may have to show the proof of their ages before they can get into the auditorium. Everyone can get access to Category II B movies even though it is labeled as "Not Suitable for Young Persons and Children". This category is similar to "NC-17" in the States. (Most cat III flicks feature a lot of extreme violence and / or sex, but also many foreign movies and films which deal with political themes get a cat III.)

Korean rating system:

All
Restricted

There are currently no public theaters that will play restricted movies, but these are not banned as most western Adult or XXX movies (these are illegal in Korea).

mcchrist
03-30-2003, 10:49 PM
Well, for the most part if a film gets a rating of CatIII, then it is about as fucked up as you can get. Every Category III flick I've seen has had some pretty nasty/sick/mean/ fucked up elements to it.

slinker
03-31-2003, 06:46 AM
Rape seems to be a popular obsession in Cat III films, i havent had the pleasure to see `Rapeman` yet but i would imagine the title pretty much sums up the mood of the film :rolleyes:

Cat III films usually rock! My 3 favs are....

The Untold Story
Chinese Torture Chamber Story
The Ebola Syndrome

drown021
03-31-2003, 10:24 PM
Can these movies be found at american retailers like best buy or media play,suncoast etc? And are they in english or at least subtitled or dubbed.Sick twisted violent shit sounds pretty good.The only asian movie I have seen is bio zombie and it was funny as hell.Obviously not a cat 3 movie.What are some good asian films to see.I have seen Evil dead trap and Audtion at best buy,are those any good? Thanx

aoiookami
04-01-2003, 12:46 AM
I usually see them floating around ebay from time to time, but never really bid on any so dunno how good ebay is for these. The only one Ive seen is Red To Kill, man talk about exploitation.