PDA

View Full Version : Mmmmmmmmmm....demodulation

Dave
03-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Well, I finally got around to setting up my RF demodulator this weekend. I had to go up to Radio Shack to buy another optical cable.

I have the RFD1 demodulator, which allows you to run a digital signal through the demodulator as well, thereby saving an input on your receiver.

It's been a while since I've heard DD5.1 on laser. And I've never heard DD5.1 laser on my kickass subwoofer I bought nearly a year ago now.

WOW!!!!

I watch Ransom: Director's Cut. Dolby 5.1 is amazing. Maybe this disc just has a good mix.

Up next: Aliens Theatrical Cut, Psycho, Frighteners, and U-571.

If they're all this good, I'd have to think twice about telling people to pass on the demodulator. From what I'm hearing, Pro-Logic aint got nothing on 5.1. That's not my 100% opinion just yet, however.

John
03-30-2003, 11:54 PM
It just clicked that I haven't seen a 5.1 movie on laser with my sub either. I had gone without a bub for so long and have not put in a DD5.1 disc since purchasing one (I don't think). Hmmmm....now I have plans for Sunday evening!

(I'm telling my wife it is your fault, Dave!!! :D )

Dave
03-31-2003, 01:30 AM
:D

Let us know what you watch.

Paff
03-31-2003, 02:14 AM
Well, the thing is, with most Dolby Digital LDs, they did a kick-ass remix on the Pro-Logic too, that's why the difference isn't so huge usually. I bet if you switched over to Pro-Logic on those discs, it wouldn't exactly suck (The DD is still better usually, but not always by a lot).

It depends on the disc, too. Like Beavis and Butthead Do America sounds a million times better on the DD track. Yet Empire Records sounds a little thin and tinny, and the Pro-Logic is better there.

I don't think you'll be overwhelmed by Aliens (it sounds good, but so does the DPL), but U-571 will probably sound stunning on the 5.1 track.